Everything's a bit crazy now. This thread is to try and clear things up.

Started by Kamimaia, 11-06-2012

Kamimaia

What with so many of the mods suddenly having an onslaught of bright ideas, I'm going to take this moment to let you, the player, know what the hell is going on. I'm also going to use this thread to post/update rules changes OTHER MODS, including me, have proposed. This thread is not to discuss problems people have had with mods or disagreements- those are better done via PM. I am currently working with James and Vels to make the rules they are proposing less restrictive, and less of a bother. I am also working on rules of my own- some of which may or may not be well-received.

This thread is constantly updated as our changes continue.

WHAT IS TRYING TO BE DONE
A full reboot, causing Caphori to be less of an OP playground with aimless and pointless time wasted in RP plots that will go nowhere, etc etc etc. Basically, starting from Square 1 with modified (heavily) rules.

PROPOSED RULES
-Immortality/Immunity to most damage becomes a bannable offense, after attempts to negotiate are made.
-Character Profiles are a necessity. (Working with Vels to reduce requirements for Character Profiles)
-No Gods/Deities RP'd as characters.
-1 HM item limit per character, regardless of past gifts.
-Faction districts (IMO, I'm hoping this doesn't happen.)
-Enforced building limit, unless given express permission due to building skill.
-1 Non-item RP power per character maximum, unless character receives permission to add another power due to excellent roleplay (This 1 power can be an immunity to one type of damage, a spell Terraria does not support, etc. Requires a mod to appraise power or ability proposed, and give permission before use.)
-Anti-Item-Whoring policy. Players will be asked to not pick up multiple copies of items they already have- this includes breaking heart crystals when HP is already 400, raiding chests when contents are what the player has already, etc. If an item in a chest has better prefix than an otherwise identical item they already have, players will be asked to replace- not simply loot.

PROPOSED CHANGES
-New Map (I think someone's gonna go in with TEdit and add stuff before we go to it, if at all, though.)
-New world Lore (Working on it)
-Forced New Character policy for map transfer
-Server Shop no longer sells items for cash only- most single-drop weapons/armor require IC expenses that should be RP'ed. (Working on it)
-Merged Rules threads, fewer stickied threads.
-Cleaned up Factions
-An end to this fucking insanity that is five people with ping-pong ideas.

We are NOT trying to fuck you, the player, over. ALL of these changes and rules will have polls, and you will be given the opportunity to remove any detrimental problems these rules could inflict- but more than half the mods are unhappy with one or more aspects of Caphori as it is, and as far as we know, players have echoed those concerns. If you have questions or complaints about these rules and changes, THIS IS THE THREAD TO DO IT IN. Your answer will be given prompt response by me, if no one else, via message modification (meaning we'll edit your post to add out answers), to keep post count low.

Yiphyin

I'm new but I like almost all of the proposed rules so I'm only going to ask a couple questions and hopefully see what you guys are talking about.

1) Roughly (with understanding of the variable discussion/implementation/lore creation time) how long are we talking until the server resets? No idea. -Kami

2) Need a clarification on the Immunity/Immortality ban. Is this in a character background sense (ie, I'm a vampire so I'm immortal) or in a "The person never turned PvP on and isn't cooperating" sense for roleplay? Negotiate with who, the admin talking to the player or the players interacting between themselves for roleplay? Age-based immortality won't be affected. The issue is 'I can't die ever' immortality.

That's it for now. :)

INA7HAN

Quote from: Yiphyin on 12-06-2012
I'm new but I like almost all of the proposed rules so I'm only going to ask a couple questions and hopefully see what you guys are talking about.

1) Roughly (with understanding of the variable discussion/implementation/lore creation time) how long are we talking until the server resets?

2) Need a clarification on the Immunity/Immortality ban. Is this in a character background sense (ie, I'm a vampire so I'm immortal) or in a "The person never turned PvP on and isn't cooperating" sense for roleplay? Negotiate with who, the admin talking to the player or the players interacting between themselves for roleplay?

That's it for now. :)
I believe it's more of the "I'm a vampire and so i'm immortal" I'm only guessing that as a few people have been rping vampires a lots of other things like that.

SRP: Nicolai 'Thunder' Lagunov - Loner - Alive

Crow793

I'm all for it as long as us Mods also have to abide by these rules (Ideally? Yes, for RP purposes. Don't expect me to use a wooden hammer when I'm building something like a bridge or an event area, though.). I'm tired of seeing players stuck with Iron gear while mods run around with Hamdraxes and Mythril armor like it's no big deal. (Hopefully, with the newly-written Server Shop, iron-only will no longer be a problem.)

CAMaera

Quote from: Kamimaia on 11-06-2012
A full reboot, causing Caphori to be less of an OP playground with aimless and pointless time wasted in RP plots that will go nowhere, etc etc etc. Basically, starting from Square 1 with modified (heavily) rules.

Sounds good, but a few things:

-1 HM item limit per character, regardless of past gifts.

I don't quite get it, so I can't use my Cobalt Armor? Or is it only weapons? Because it makes no sense to me. Okay, so my inventory: Fairy Bell, Cobalt Sword, full Cobalt armor, Cobalt Naginata. Irdc about the Mythril halberd, as I don't use it much, but you're saying I can only pick ONE of these things? -If it passes, yes. Well then.

Wow, really? Not trying to bitch here, but that's the third time this has happened, and I'm getting sick of mining to get crap stuff over and over again. Not to mention having 5+ cleared characters on SP under my belt, it's just annoying and cumbersome to do it ALL OVER AGAIN. -Then vote against it when it pops up. I will be.

-1 Non-item RP power per character maximum, unless character receives permission to add another power due to excellent roleplay (This 1 power can be an immunity to one type of damage, a spell Terraria does not support, etc. Requires a mod to appraise power or ability proposed, and give permission before use.)

Okay, this confuses me. So if you RP good and nice, you get special powers? As in IC, PvP powers? -Doesn't need to be PVP. Some abilities can and should be non-combat related. 'Good and nice' relates to: Not ignoring viable RP, creating or contributing to storylines, typing in a clear manner, etc. Oh, got it.

-New Map (I think someone's gonna go in with TEdit and add stuff before we go to it, if at all, though.)

Will my powers be transferred over -Depends.? As in Snow-Biome owning powers -That'll be a negative, unless you do something like make one underground, or turn a floating isle into snow, or create an isle of snow yourself. The idea of full ownership of a biome by a single person is ridiculous. Yes, it is, but in my defense, the biome wasn't all that big :3 it was only two or three screens long, and public. I will be making an isle.

These are just a few things I would like to clarify. If you have the time, Kami, please reply with your fancy red text.

Thanks for replying.

Velspera

Wow, really? Not trying to bitch here, but that's the third time this has happened, and I'm getting sick of mining to get crap stuff over and over again. Not to mention having 5+ cleared characters on SP under my belt, it's just annoying and cumbersome to do it ALL OVER AGAIN. -Then vote against it when it pops up.

I'm pretty certain we didn't force a full character wipe during the first map transfer and, unless this was done TWICE during the time I was gone (which I sort of doubt), then I don't see how it could have happened that often.

A character wipe is not as big a deal as people thing.  Items and equipment CAN be obtained again and, if it's to help use make the server better and help the roleplayers on the server improve, a little mining isn't going to hurt you.

Besides: It's a game.  Even on an rp server, it's meant to be played.

But, I do side with Kami.  If you don't agree with it, there will be a poll you can vote in so that we can take everyone's opinion into account.
:D OMG HI.

Caphori Characters: Vaillaro and Ilanna

JRParadox

Quote from: Velspera on 12-06-2012
I'm pretty certain we didn't force a full character wipe during the first map transfer and, unless this was done TWICE during the time I was gone (which I sort of doubt), then I don't see how it could have happened that often.
Nope, since you've been gone there has not been a single character wipe of any discription.

Also referring to the statement that Mods go around with hamdraxes and such, we use that to moderate, we get nothing from having better items other than the ability to control situations faster and better.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Terraria Super Operator
JRP > What are you?
Rag > Your freind
JRP > For real?
Rag > This is so serious you don't understand.

INA7HAN

I have some issues with this wipe chars and mine all your stuff again idea. For one if everyone starts again the map is going to get completerly fucked in about 6 hours of people franticaly mining before everything dissappears (This was the problem i had when i joined a year ago. All ore was gone and so was stone really). Everyone mining will spoil the landscape even worse than the current maps landscape is. Basically we will be having a few new maps in a matter of weeks or so, either that or mods are going to get pissed off really quickly repairing everything and spawning more ores. 

SRP: Nicolai 'Thunder' Lagunov - Loner - Alive

CAMaera

Wow, really? Not trying to bitch here, but that's the third time this has happened, and I'm getting sick of mining to get crap stuff over and over again. Not to mention having 5+ cleared characters on SP under my belt, it's just annoying and cumbersome to do it ALL OVER AGAIN. -Then vote against it when it pops up.

A character wipe is not as big a deal as people thing.  Items and equipment CAN be obtained again and, if it's to help use make the server better and help the roleplayers on the server improve, a little mining isn't going to hurt you.

Besides: It's a game.  Even on an rp server, it's meant to be played.

But, I do side with Kami.  If you don't agree with it, there will be a poll you can vote in so that we can take everyone's opinion into account.

Yes, but it does get annoying when you play the normal game on a regular basis. I come on to RP and make the place better for everyone. Also, I've been gone since I was banned, until late last year. I played when I got here on a new char, making the count 1. Then I made an alt, making the count 2. And the first time I was here makes it 3.

And I play SP quite often, and play on other servers as well. It gets old. But then again, I sound like I'm bitching, and I'm sorry for that.

Quote from: INA7HAN on 13-06-2012
I have some issues with this wipe chars and mine all your stuff again idea. For one if everyone starts again the map is going to get completerly fucked in about 6 hours of people franticaly mining before everything dissappears (This was the problem i had when i joined a year ago. All ore was gone and so was stone really). Everyone mining will spoil the landscape even worse than the current maps landscape is. Basically we will be having a few new maps in a matter of weeks or so, either that or mods are going to get pissed off really quickly repairing everything and spawning more ores. 

I agree completely. Not about the ore/etc being gone, but the map looking like crap because of it. It really will murder the map and the map's underground.

Quote from: JRParadox on 13-06-2012
Nope, since you've been gone there has not been a single character wipe of any discription.

Also referring to the statement that Mods go around with hamdraxes and such, we use that to moderate, we get nothing from having better items other than the ability to control situations faster and better.

I agree with this. If you're jealous that you can't use it to RP(directed at members), then have fun being OP and getting banned for bringing in/being OP. The only reason they use these things is to build creations that we can RP in or on, to improve our experience. I know one thing though; if the one HM item thing passes, I'll be taking a long LoA.

Redbark

Retarded question of idiotness'n'shit: Did we wipe already? Too lazy to look because of these papers I have to give to my boss.

-Nope, the wipe won't happen until we have made all the decisions and as a community discussed and finalised all of the concepts ~ JRParadox

Velspera

Quote from: max0596 on 13-06-2012
Yes, but it does get annoying when you play the normal game on a regular basis. I come on to RP and make the place better for everyone. Also, I've been gone since I was banned, until late last year. I played when I got here on a new char, making the count 1. Then I made an alt, making the count 2. And the first time I was here makes it 3.

And I play SP quite often, and play on other servers as well. It gets old. But then again, I sound like I'm bitching, and I'm sorry for that.

What you do in SP or on other servers should have no bearing on what is done on this particular server as we have no control over what you or any of those other servers may do. 

I agree completely. Not about the ore/etc being gone, but the map looking like crap because of it. It really will murder the map and the map's underground.

Am I the only person that thinks this state of mind is one of the main issues we have in the first place?

Quote from: JRParadox on 13-06-2012

Other than building, how is having a hamdraxe going to help you control situations in any way?

If you're building or demolishing OOC, then use an OOC acct reserved specifically for that and keep your HM equipment strictly on that account.  If it's an IC situation, then having OP equipment is a personal preference and is entirely unnecessary.

Any admin should be fully capable of handling OOC situations with players breaking rules without the use of any specialized equipment whatsoever.  That is why we have access to Console Commands through an account we can login to at any time.

JRParadox

Quote from: Velspera on 13-06-2012

Other than building, how is having a hamdraxe going to help you control situations in any way?

If you're building or demolishing OOC, then use an OOC acct reserved specifically for that and keep your HM equipment strictly on that account.  If it's an IC situation, then having OP equipment is a personal preference and is entirely unnecessary.

Any admin should be fully capable of handling OOC situations with players breaking rules without the use of any specialized equipment whatsoever.  That is why we have access to Console Commands through an account we can login to at any time.
That is the only time when I use my hamdrax, is to demolish buildings which need demolishing OOC, sadly I do not have a free character slot to make purely for OOC stuff but if we make that a rule that mods must have OOC accounts I will happily abide. I have never used my hamdrax for anything other than OOC use, I believe that it is justifiable to have it on my characters if only used for OOC things but if you do believe that I should make an OOC account then please do say so.

Terraria Super Operator
JRP > What are you?
Rag > Your freind
JRP > For real?
Rag > This is so serious you don't understand.

VonXeno

Quote from: Crow793 on 12-06-2012
I'm tired of seeing players stuck with Iron gear while mods run around with Hamdraxes and Mythril armor like it's no big deal.

...Even though you have adamantite?

Also, where have you been D:
I am not what I think I am, and I am not what you think I am. I am what I think you think I am.

darkshinyprincess

Sounds interesting, but I'll need to work had until have my potions again.

Yes, I'll still be an alchemist.

You read good. Alchemist, not whorechemist.

Kamimaia

People have been questioning what is meant by 'Forced new Character policy'. All it means is that Gear and HP/MP are reset. If you want to play the same character that you're playing now, that's fine- so long as they're tweaked to all the new rules, IF or WHEN they pass.

Syndraell

Alright, I have had problems with my DNS for the last week or so, but i'm trying to make this as clear as possible.

I want to get rid of the Caphori Lore, and Start from Scratch.
for Caphori to be a bit more normal.

Immortality is... acceptable. But Immortality as in "able to live forever, but still die from certain things."
Like a knife wound to the gut.

Forced districts, I don't like the sound of. But I'd like there to be set Cities/Towns/Villages, instead of houses all over the landscape.

also as I have Said before. A Full Set of HM Armor still counts as 1 item.

I Will try to continue to fix up this mess "if my pc/internet stops being an Asshole. Pest.

Also, screw the forced character stuff. HP/MP doesn't matter. but you should get rid of all items except for 5 Regular items you like/1HM item.

Feel free to suggest things. Anything that fits the Idea of making Caphori feel more like a RP inclined server instead of being a HGN Laughingstock.

I'm just waiting to mess up your day. Honest.

VonXeno

Quote from: James Almasy on 13-06-2012
HGN Laughingstock.

Is that what this is about? Fuck that. We don't need to seek their approval.

We are improving ourselves for ourselves, not the rest of HGN.
I am not what I think I am, and I am not what you think I am. I am what I think you think I am.

Ragolution

Quote from: VonXeno on 13-06-2012
HGN Laughingstock.

Keep telling yourself that.

That's uncalled for. The lot of you, can we NOT degrade this into a shitfest of flaming and trolling? It would be nice, considering this is meant to be an adult discussion of the new rule propositions and NOT high school? -Kami

Velspera

Quote from: Ragolution on 14-06-2012
Quote from: VonXeno on 13-06-2012
HGN Laughingstock.

Keep telling yourself that.

That's uncalled for. The lot of you, can we NOT degrade this into a shitfest of flaming and trolling? It would be nice, considering this is meant to be an adult discussion of the new rule propositions and NOT high school? -Kami

I don't see any point in arguing with them.  They've been doing this for about a year now and our fussing at their flaming isn't going to make them stop because either they like prodding the members of the community that don't know how to spot flaming and ignore it, it makes them feel better, or they'd rather we continue mucking around so the other areas of HGN continue to look that much better.

Whatever the reason, they're not helping so I'd rather just continue pretending they don't exist unless they have something constructive to say and I suggest everyone else do the same.

We should just focus on Caphori right now.

Syndraell

Quote from: Velspera on 14-06-2012
We should just focus on Caphori right now.

Thank you, Vels.

Also, In all Seriousness. We are trying to make Caphori better.

I'm just waiting to mess up your day. Honest.

Khyris

Banter aside, should we consider making character sheets now if the "force new character" rule gets passed?
Iseyu Characters: Alicia Saphoe

Ragolution

Quote from: Khyris on 15-06-2012
Banter aside, should we consider making character sheets now if the "force new character" rule gets passed?

This character sheet thing seems rather excessive.

If I wanted to play D&D, nWoD or something I would go do that.

Velspera

Quote from: Ragolution on 15-06-2012
Quote from: Khyris on 15-06-2012

This character sheet thing seems rather excessive.

If I wanted to play D&D, nWoD or something I would go do that.

Character sheets were proposed to keep tabs on OP equipment and to help players realize that, realistically, their character can't just pick up every weapon that falls from the sky and wield it like an expert. 

Also, it's especially important since everyone seems so hesitant to allow the map to transition into Hardmode. 

What their character does, what race their playing, their alignment, backstory happens to be...that stuff used to be important when we were more intent on creating specific character classes, races, and other such things.  But, since we've scrapped those things divulging that information is something that should be done IC.  Still: there are players out there that do like to write up character histories and include them because it's just what they do.

The higher level equipment they do decide to obtain and equip, however, is. 

We're not asking them to divvy up karma points into FASE RIP stats or pick powers and talents from a list or roll dice.  We just want to know whether we should expect to see them in a set of flaming armor at some point and help them understand that their character can't be "the absolute best at everything ever done".

Ragolution

Quote from: Velspera on 15-06-2012
We're not asking them to divvy up karma points into FASE RIP stats or pick powers and talents from a list or roll dice.  We just want to know whether we should expect to see them in a set of flaming armor at some point and help them understand that their character can't be "the absolute best at everything ever done".

Aw.

Tom

Back on topic. . .

Faction districts. . . TERRIBLE idea. From what I understand, how that will work is Faction A will get a section of the map, Faction B will get a section of the map, and Faction C will get a section of the map, Anything in between will be "No build neutral zones" Which would suck terribly. If we are aiming to regulate people building things, we should find another way. -I agree. Simply enforcing building limits should be enough. -Kami

I disagree with the character profiles, I don't understand the purpose that is served there. -It is so mods can see, at a glance, whether a character is OP or not. However, I believe it takes some of the mystery out of the hands of the player and removes a lot of fun- not to mention the time it takes to compose a profile, which some would rather not do. If it *IS* implemented, I think it should still be reduced from what it is already reduced to. -Kami

and the 1 HM item thing I said I agree'd to it in the "POLL" thread, but I'm not entirely sure about what its greater importance is. -It effectively ensures we don't have old members who are running around in full adamantite or full cobalt gear, OP to the gaze: Right now Nathan, Max and Garagan all have cobalt armor- removes the attraction and differences between them. One HM item per character makes people think what one item could define who/what their character is. -Kami

The "Anti Gear whore" rule is another thing I'm curious about. It would be great, so long as it makes sense/is executed correctly or whatever. Basically, as I check chests and whatnot, I'll see who has more than one band of regen (or any other equip item) and such (such as three stacks of iron ore they'll never use, etc)- if its a first offense, I'll take the weakest of the bunch and toss it in an underground chest somewhere (Unless its a material-type item, in which case I'll ask them what they're planning to do with it). If its the second time, I'll inform the player of the rule and then repeat step one. The more often an individual player does it, the further I'll take action. It'll keep people from raiding chests underground for items they don't need, mining out any and all ore they find just because, breaking heart crystals when they have 400 hp etc. In my experience, when a player intends to hand out the items to newbs, they either A: never do or B: aren't allowed to, as giving a player only one day old a sunfury isn't something I endorse.
Quote from: TheAndyShandy on 05-12-2013
Oh boy.
Strap yourselves in, it's time for the great 'obligatory' SRP resurrection of 2013/14/15/16/22