Everything's a bit crazy now. This thread is to try and clear things up.

Started by Kamimaia, 11-06-2012

CAMaera

Quote from: Tom on 15-06-2012
and the 1 HM item thing I said I agree'd to it in the "POLL" thread, but I'm not entirely sure about what its greater importance is. -It effectively ensures we don't have old members who are running around in full adamantite or full cobalt gear, OP to the gaze: Right now Nathan, Max and Garagan all have cobalt armor- removes the attraction and differences between them. One HM item per character makes people think what one item could define who/what their character is. -Kami

Only quarrel I have about this is saying that me and the others who have full Cobalt are the same. Gara's a demon and wears his all the time, Nathan is...generic to say the least and wears his as actual equip(you can see it) and I wear Familiar everything. It really evens it in PvP because, go ahead and quote this- I can't PvP in Terraria for ****. People with gold stuff could kill me most of the time. I think people know what one item defines Rukino; Ice Rod. I use the armor and weapons for strictly RP use or having fun Battle Royaling with Zub and the gang XD and I still lose in that. And since you know, a Cobalt/Mythril Sword isn't as strong as a Night's Edge, it makes no sense to say it's OP. Everyone still runs around in Molten, and here's a comparison;

Cobalt(w/Helm)                  Molten
DEF            26                                25
SET   +15% Melee SPD       +17% Melee DMG

STOCK
            Cobalt Sword          Night's Edge
DMG           35                           42                         
SPD           Fast                    Average

LEGENDARY
             Cobalt Sword          Night's Edge
DMG           39                           56
SPD           Fast                        Fast

Crow793

In regards to the forced new character, I still think that's a pointless concept. People will just rush to get life crystals and good items the first few days, and there's nothing stopping people from changing their character's backstory in the event of a Lore reset. I will be very disappointed if a forced character restart is implemented.

Velspera

Quote from: Crow793 on 16-06-2012
In regards to the forced new character, I still think that's a pointless concept. People will just rush to get life crystals and good items the first few days--

Keep in mind, Crow, that this is not directed specifically at you but a broad statement to the Caphori community as a whole.  I'm not calling you, or anyone specific, out.  I'm saying this because I've already seen 3 or so comments about players worrying about this exact same thing:

People here need to get it through their heads that the point of the forced character restart is not to start a fucking mining rush.  It's to place characters on an even plane and encourage new roleplay without these constant worries over who is OP and who is not OP.  The more people understand this, the better we will be IF the forced character restart is actually put in place.

The fact that there are people who have even said on the board that going straight into mining would be the first thing they would do makes me feel really disappointed in the players if they don't understand why we're proposing the idea in the first place.

Yeah, I understand that mining and fighting monsters is fun.  It's Terraria.  It's supposed to be fun and even the admins have moments where they just want to run around like idiots and chat.

However, that is not why this server was started.

This is not a PVP or free-build server.  It's a roleplay server.  ROLEPLAY should everyone's main drive whenever they log on, not getting the best armor.

And I'm certainly not sorry for saying this, but if that IS anyone's main goal then maybe they don't need to be here.

Or, at the very least, they should ask themselves why the hell they decided to join Caphori in the first place.

--and there's nothing stopping people from changing their character's backstory in the event of a Lore reset.

In direct response to this, however:

So what?  I don't see how starting a new character with new history to suit the primary lore on the server is a BAD thing.

New Lore means entirely NEW Caphori that has no ties whatsoever to whatever happened before.  A brand new character would suit the Lore better than taking an old one what was based in old Caphori, dropping them in, and just hoping they fit.
:D OMG HI.

Caphori Characters: Vaillaro and Ilanna

Velspera

Back on topic. . .

Faction districts. . . TERRIBLE idea. From what I understand, how that will work is Faction A will get a section of the map, Faction B will get a section of the map, and Faction C will get a section of the map, Anything in between will be "No build neutral zones" Which would suck terribly. If we are aiming to regulate people building things, we should find another way. -I agree. Simply enforcing building limits should be enough. -Kami
I suggested them because a few people mentioned having specific areas reserved for towns and wilderness instead of having buildings randomly scattered all over the map.  With building limits alone: Sure the buildings will be smaller, but they will still be EVERYWHERE and the map will still eventually turn out to look as cluttered and discombobulated as it does now. 

It has nothing to do with minor factions like Warrior Guilds and Merchant Guilds but everything to do with major factions such as opposing kingdoms with separate agendas.

I disagree with the character profiles, I don't understand the purpose that is served there. -It is so mods can see, at a glance, whether a character is OP or not. However, I believe it takes some of the mystery out of the hands of the player and removes a lot of fun- not to mention the time it takes to compose a profile, which some would rather not do. If it *IS* implemented, I think it should still be reduced from what it is already reduced to. -Kami
If that's the case, why not just bring back the auths roster, start it up from scratch, and add more items that we think need to be kept track of?  Now that I think about it, the character sheet was more important when we were concerned about defined character classes.

Crow793

Quote from: Velspera on 16-06-2012

And I'm certainly not sorry for saying this, but if that IS anyone's main goal then maybe they don't need to be here.

Or, at the very least, they should ask themselves why the hell they decided to join Caphori in the first place.

--and there's nothing stopping people from changing their character's backstory in the event of a Lore reset.

So what?  I don't see how starting a new character with new history to suit the primary lore on the server is a BAD thing.

New Lore means entirely NEW Caphori that has no ties whatsoever to whatever happened before.  A brand new character would suit the Lore better than taking an old one what was based in old Caphori, dropping them in, and just hoping they fit.

Well also realize that many of Caphori's players are nobs, and just want to roleplay the best character with the best gear. I'd be all for it if we had a community that would actually abide by these restrictions. I'm also looking at my fellow mods, who hoard high-tier armor "Just because they're mods".

And you misunderstood what I meant about the backstory thing. I mean there's no point in forcing new characters, when people can just take their existing characters, and alter the backstory to fit with current lore, rather than disallow existing characters just because they were part of old Caphori. -As has already been stated, 'Forced new characters' refers to health/mana/items only- not characters. You're arguing a nonexistant point. -Kami

Tom

I think you all may be misunderstanding what people mean by "OP characters".
Quote from: TheAndyShandy on 05-12-2013
Oh boy.
Strap yourselves in, it's time for the great 'obligatory' SRP resurrection of 2013/14/15/16/22

Velspera

Quote from: Tom on 16-06-2012
I think you all may be misunderstanding what people mean by "OP characters".

I know what it means. 

But, there is definitely a problem in Terraria RP where people who have OP equipment immediately think that gives them the right to have an OP character in RP as well.

If someone has a Night's Edge, Full Molten Gear, and the best accessories they can get their hands on and runs into another player that has full silver armor, a silver sword, and an enchanted boomerang, there's a high chance that person in Molten is going to think that they can RP whatever they want in an altercation with the other person just because they have a better chance at beating them into the ground if it evolves into a PVP battle. 

And, people who START OFF with OP characters will likely want to go out and get the best gear in the game immediately anyway.

Velspera

Quote from: Velspera on 16-06-2012

Well also realize that many of Caphori's players are nobs, and just want to roleplay the best character with the best gear. I'd be all for it if we had a community that would actually abide by these restrictions. I'm also looking at my fellow mods, who hoard high-tier armor "Just because they're mods".

And you misunderstood what I meant about the backstory thing. I mean there's no point in forcing new characters, when people can just take their existing characters, and alter the backstory to fit with current lore, rather than disallow existing characters just because they were part of old Caphori. -As has already been stated, 'Forced new characters' refers to health/mana/items only- not characters. You're arguing a nonexistant point. -Kami

On noobs: New players agree to follow the rules when they apply.  If they can't follow the restrictions, that counts as not following the rules and they'll be held to it.  I love helping new players learn how to RP and make good characters, but I also want them to understand that best gear doesn't necessarily equal best character.

On OP mods: I've agreed wholeheartedly.

On Character Reset: What Kami said.

Syndraell

Suggestion-

Making a Mineshaft that is restocked with (ore type) every week or so?
that way, there isn't as bad of a shortage of ores for the new players

I'm just waiting to mess up your day. Honest.

JRParadox

Quote from: James Almasy on 16-06-2012
Suggestion-

Making a Mineshaft that is restocked with (ore type) every week or so?
that way, there isn't as bad of a shortage of ores for the new players
Have one mineshaft in the area where nothing is built so that is completely neutral and so that anyone can visit it, I'll happily take charge with this and run it

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Terraria Super Operator
JRP > What are you?
Rag > Your freind
JRP > For real?
Rag > This is so serious you don't understand.

Kamimaia

There's already a rather large hole in the corruption that can suit this purpose marvelously, if you feel particularly dickish.

Kamimaia

Also: There will be a system set in place to discourage OP playing, and encourage better play overall, using the Fates and RPRating.

Dungeon_Lord

I think that all these ideas for a new world are great and maybe need some tweaking here and there. The one rule I completely agree with is the 1 HM item. Sure some people may want a sword, gear, and like a fairy bell, but soon that will turn from cobalt to adamantite. So really I'm sure later on things like this will change, but really I'm just happy to see this whole all mods are gods thing being dealt with. It got to a point where I had to rage quit because of the ludicrousness of what was happening on the server.

There are certain HM items that don't really give you any op strengths like the fairy bell. If you have time could you tell me if those will count as your 1 HM item. Sounds reasonable enough to me.
Help for hire! Seriously ask me for help, I need things to do.

Crow793

-As has already been stated, 'Forced new characters' refers to health/mana/items only- not characters. You're arguing a nonexistant point. -Kami

First, I'd appreciate if you just reply. Responding by editing my post doesn't get me any sign of response through emails or otherwise.

Second, what is resetting people's health/mana/items going to accomplish? I mean, honestly? People are just going to say "Oh, I'm weak. Better get some health crystals and farm some shooting stars."

And I know you say that's not the point, but face it. That's what people are going to do. I really feel like this can be avoided by just letting people keep their maxed out characters, or at the very least, their health and mana (But force them to get rid of their equipment.). Avoid the threat of tunnel raiding of items.

(What 'prices' people pay in the Server Shop will be affected positively or negatively by the quality of RP that player gives, and what equipment they have/use, as well as their health totals. Other things that will be affected include certain 'random events' I will be spreading underground, to spice things up. Other things that affect the Shop and Events that occur include: Whether they are actively mining, or RP'ing, whether they mine constantly or barely at all, whether they mine in groups or solo, etc etc etc. Its a little system called RPR (RolePlayRating), and it works. A thread will be posted on it come friday. Side note: Stop talking as if the lot of us are children. It does nothing to help our judgment of your opinions. -Kami)

Crow793

Quote from: Crow793 on 17-06-2012
(What 'prices' people pay in the Server Shop will be affected positively or negatively by the quality of RP that player gives, and what equipment they have/use, as well as their health totals. Other things that will be affected include certain 'random events' I will be spreading underground, to spice things up. Other things that affect the Shop and Events that occur include: Whether they are actively mining, or RP'ing, whether they mine constantly or barely at all, whether they mine in groups or solo, etc etc etc. Its a little system called RPR (RolePlayRating), and it works. A thread will be posted on it come friday. Side note: Stop talking as if the lot of us are children. It does nothing to help our judgment of your opinions. -Kami)

I'm not talking as if you're children. I'm merely speaking as to what I've observed being a member of Caphori since the first server. And frankly if anybody is acting childish, it's the way you're responding to my harmless suggestions, as well as ignoring my request to reply instead of edit my posts. I'll have no way of knowing when you reply when you do this. (This is a better option than padding posts with quotes before answers, or solely answers with no real way to attribute it to questions asked. If a simple refusal to do as you ask is childish, then you must be forever surrounded by children. Also, you are; your word choice in many of your recent posts give off the air that you have a sense of entitlement over all of us- and I, for one, do not appreciate it.)

Kamimaia

BACK ON TOPIC:

Consideration: Making the '1 HM item' rule apply to each CATEGORY of HM item, rather than 1 HM item period.

CURRENT HM ITEM RULE: You may have only 1 HM item at all, armor sets count as 1 item.

PROPOSED CHANGE: You may have 1 HM armor PIECE (Not a full set), 1 HM accessory, and 1 HM weapon/activated item (fairy bell included).

Minion

Legit question. IF old characters are allowed to be recycled, would supplies be allowed to come along? *dont care about armor, sold them and have plans to pitch the nightsedge*

Syndraell

Quote from: Minion on 17-06-2012
Legit question. IF old characters are allowed to be recycled, would supplies be allowed to come along? *dont care about armor, sold them and have plans to pitch the nights edge*

if you mean stuff like dirt,sand,wood, and stone. maybe.

Dungeon_Lord

If this were simply a roleplaying server that didn't depend on basic look that you wish your character to have then this wouldn't apply, but it is. Some if not a great many use armor not just as a tool, but as a fashion and I can see only being allowed one HM armor piece to go poorly. You could allow people to use a full set and have them put it in their fashion slots, which give no bonus stats; but that would require you to trust them to be honest and not lie about it. Since there isn't any good way to see whether they put it on as a fashion or not this would probably be a very risky and hard thing to allow people to do. Because one second they could have iron armor and the next they could have adamatite armor and simply say its a fashion item.

My proposal is that you allow people to have a full HM armor set and the choice to have two accessory/weapon/item. (Can not have two of one category)
The switch of putting accessory in the same section of weapon and item is because for some people none of the HM accessories are really worth while for their character and would rather have a weapon and a item. (Like a fairy bell) For me personally I don't care about having fancy armor, but would much rather have a magic staff of some sort and a item like a fairy bell then have a accessory.

Paintcheck

Why does this HM armor limitation exist, exactly? I know I haven't been on the server all that long (nor am I all that active) but it seems to me combat is almost never resolved in actual PVP shootouts. Rather people use /me and rolls and what not so armor and items are basically cosmetic only. The only thing the high end armor and weapons allow for is beating the shit out of NPCs easily but why would that be a problem? It's not unbalanced in PVP combat so long as people aren't idiots and go "I have [insert HM epic sword here] and you just have an iron sword therefore I win" which would be very easy to police.

Velspera

And I know you say that's not the point, but face it. That's what people are going to do. I really feel like this can be avoided by just letting people keep their maxed out characters, or at the very least, their health and mana (But force them to get rid of their equipment.). Avoid the threat of tunnel raiding of items.

Your suggestion only magnifies the problem further.  Sure, they won't be farming for heart crystals or fallen stars, but that will STILL start a mining war on regular and gold chests, ores, and other materials they'd need for armor, weapons, etc.

Only it COULD be considerably worse because they'd have higher health that allows them to mine MORE materials faster without having to worry about dying as often as a completely new character would have to.

But, to be very honest: Starting new characters probably has nothing to do with whether or not the map will suffer a mining rush anyway.

Why?

I'm not talking as if you're children. I'm merely speaking as to what I've observed being a member of Caphori since the first server. And frankly if anybody is acting childish, it's the way you're responding to my harmless suggestions, as well as ignoring my request to reply instead of edit my posts. I'll have no way of knowing when you reply when you do this.

Because you cannot legitimately say that you've witnessed ANYTHING that has to do with tunnel raiding after a full character reset on Caphori because Caphori has never done a full character reset before.

Caphori went through mining rushes in the past because new maps were implemented, not because there was a forced character reset.  To Terraria players, new maps are like cold cans of soda.

When you open a new one it's crisp and new and freaking delicious.  But, if you set that soda down for half an hour to do something else and come back later, you find that it's lukewarm and has lost its fizziness.  Suddenly, it's gross.  You don't want it anymore.  You want a new one that's fresh and fizzy and cold just like when you opened it the first time.  So, you pour the rest of the warm soda out and get a new one even though it's probably a waste. 

Whether we forced a character reset or not, players would want to rush the map.  And not just currently active players.  Players that have applied to Caphori and played once or two or even not at all sometimes come back and notice on the forums "Holy crap, we have a new map". 

A map with fresh resources and tons of open lands and a virgin dungeon.  Suddenly, those old players want to come back and play again and mine and roleplay and the first thing they do is make a rush for resources.

If the server was merely confined to the players that are mostly active now, that we all recognize immediately when we log on, then this would be a non-issue because there would be more than enough resources to accommodate. 

But it's not.  It's a huge server and you never know who is going to suddenly decide they want to come back or who is going to join because there are new players joining on new characters who will need brand new equipment ever day.

So: I'm sorry, but I'm disregarding this argument.  It makes no sense.

What I truly believe is that people are arguing against the character reset because 1) they don't want to lose their character and 2) they don't want to lose their stuff and NOT because they're truly worried about whether or not the server is going to run out of resources and problem #1 is ALSO a non-issue because we're NOT forcing people to get rid of characters: Just stuff and stats.

Velspera

Quote from: Paintcheck on 18-06-2012
Why does this HM armor limitation exist, exactly? I know I haven't been on the server all that long (nor am I all that active) but it seems to me combat is almost never resolved in actual PVP shootouts. Rather people use /me and rolls and what not so armor and items are basically cosmetic only. The only thing the high end armor and weapons allow for is beating the shit out of NPCs easily but why would that be a problem? It's not unbalanced in PVP combat so long as people aren't idiots and go "I have [insert HM epic sword here] and you just have an iron sword therefore I win" which would be very easy to police.

Easy to police, but it can still happen.  Especially with players that may join and wind up roleplaying for the first time but are used to non-RP, PVP servers.

Also: There's really no point to having HM equipment since Caphori's not an HM server in the first place.  If Caphori was allowed to advance into HM, it'd be a different story.

On the flip-side: It could also be because, previously, A LOT of conflicts on Caphori used to be resolved in PVP and not in RP because some players would bitch if they went into PVP and you refused to because you wanted to RP the fight to keep it fair. 

But, I dunno.  Maybe the rules will let up a little in the future.

Personally: I'd love to see Caphori advance into HM for good, even IF it is harder for new players, but I really think I'm the only mod with that opinion at this point.

Dungeon_Lord

Personally: I'd love to see Caphori advance into HM for good, even IF it is harder for new players, but I really think I'm the only mod with that opinion at this point.

I would also love to see the server be put in HM. A lot of good roleplayers have been stuck with the same equipment since hell version and its not like its bad gear, but it is very... boring when other people have new shiny stuff and wave it around a lot. If it was in HM summoning the new bosses would actually be something we could use in events, but at the moment no one with their none HM gear can even kill them. Without a shit load of planning and basically making an arena where you don't die and can continually deal damage to the boss.

VonXeno

Quote from: Velspera on 18-06-2012

You aren't alone there. I don't think keeping us in normal forever is exciting at all, and I really hope things lighten up regarding hardmode. Just keep limits on hardmode boss summon items, making souls difficult to collect.

Although, I really don't want to see drills or chainsaws on the server.
I am not what I think I am, and I am not what you think I am. I am what I think you think I am.

Syndraell

Quote from: VonXeno on 18-06-2012
Although, I really don't want to see drills or chainsaws on the server.

same here