Caphori Reset? And trying to improve RP Quality

Started by Syndraell, 10-06-2012

Syndraell

The Roleplaying here has gotten waaay out of hand. Everyone is doing their own thing, and it's making Caphori look bad.

The RP Needs to be more serious, and the overall way that it is played needs to change.

I want the server to have a fresh start. The Caphori that happened before? Never happened. I'm thinking of getting rid of the Gods, unless special occasions (or maybe no gods). You may start over, completely new characters, or keep your old character with only 5 items that you want to keep (having a magic mirror is okay, as is a grappling hook; these two do not count.)(Hardmode items cannot be kept, unless approved by a mod)(and a full armor set counts as 1 item)

I would also like to actually have scenery in the open wilds of Caphori. There will be towns and a main city or two.

-Things suggested
Bandits and Hideouts
Main Faction relations like "Militia" or "Church of 'god name' "
Ruined buildings
Possible Building Limits (To Prevent destruction of certain areas)

Polling, Btw.

I'm just waiting to mess up your day. Honest.

VonXeno

Tell me this. What looks bad about Caphori?
I am not what I think I am, and I am not what you think I am. I am what I think you think I am.

HitMan5523

Quote from: VonXeno on 10-06-2012
When I browse the Caphori forums and when I talk to people who play on Caphori, they all talk about how everyone is a good demon or some other mythical creatures. I uh... don't want to play on that.

{Exact Point. Trying to get a bit more normality in this server.)
I'm hip! What are you talking about!

the_grub

You do know that's an exaggeration right
r u avin a giggle ther m8, il bash ye fookin ead in i swar on me mum

srgghostkilla

Quote from: James Almasy on 10-06-2012
keep your old character with only 5 items that you want to keep (having a magic mirror is okay, as is a grappling hook; these two do not count.)(Hardmode items cannot be kept, unless approved by a mod)

If this is to go through, how would armor count as 3 things head, chest and pants of would it all count as one? Because I don't want to have to get rid of my meteor armor.[/size][size=78%] [/size]

Ragolution

Quote from: HitMan5523 on 11-06-2012
Quote from: VonXeno on 10-06-2012
When I browse the Caphori forums and when I talk to people who play on Caphori, they all talk about how everyone is a good demon or some other mythical creatures. I uh... don't want to play on that.

Thus the inquisition was born.

Redbark

SOOOOOOOOOOO hard! I can barely choose!... I am leaving my vote out for now.

HitMan5523

Quote from: the_grub on 11-06-2012
I don't exactly care :P Everyone I talk to says the same thing.
I'm hip! What are you talking about!

JRParadox

Quote from: HitMan5523 on 11-06-2012
I don't exactly care :P Everyone I talk to says the same thing.
And I don't exactly care about your opinion if you're not part of Caphori or someone big in HGN who can be constructive with their feedback.

On topic now, I don't mind seeing as we have never really had too much structure this fresh beginning means we can start again with the premises we need to make a good roleplaying environment such as in some of the other HGN servers which have a backbone on major factions, core lore or some form of structure of character progression. What we need to make sure we do though is to plan all this crap out before hand, that will give people the time to bring closure to all the stuff they want to do and will give us the time to actually make sure that we have covered all the ground which is needed to be covered.

To make sure, this will be an entirely new Caphori? The slate wiped completely clean and everything is started again from the ground up? If so then we are going to have a LOT of discussion threads coming up.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Terraria Super Operator
JRP > What are you?
Rag > Your freind
JRP > For real?
Rag > This is so serious you don't understand.

the_grub

I'd be up for a server restart, but i would want it to feel like the old Caphori from when i first joined. It had the basic rules that everyone had to follow rule breakers would  be punished, but most of the time if you were a scrub you would at least get a warning first unless it was one of the big rules like stealing or griefing.  Everyone was like a big family in that we talked OOC sometimes but the rp with eachother was a real treat. It was a great Rp environment and allowed for people to use there imagination a bit without having to be super OP. The Caphori we have now feels like its forced and the risk of bans is too heavy :(

r u avin a giggle ther m8, il bash ye fookin ead in i swar on me mum

VonXeno

-Everyone was like a big family in that we talked OOC sometimes but the rp with eachother was a real treat.
-It was a great Rp environment and allowed for people to use there imagination a bit without having to be super OP.
-The Caphori we have now feels like its forced and the risk of bans is too heavy :(
I am not what I think I am, and I am not what you think I am. I am what I think you think I am.

srgghostkilla

Quote from: VonXeno on 11-06-2012
-Everyone was like a big family in that we talked OOC sometimes but the rp with eachother was a real treat[size=78%]. [/size]
-It was a great Rp environment and allowed for people to use there imagination a bit without having to be super OP.
-The Caphori we have now feels like its forced and the risk of bans is too heavy :(

This right here should have everybody's full support

Noidness

That is true, the bans are really getting quite heavy over the head, some people have been banned in the recent past with little or no warning, when all they really should have got was a strike. I think you know what I'm talking about.

Ragolution

Quote from: srgghostkilla on 11-06-2012
Quote from: VonXeno on 11-06-2012
-Everyone was like a big family in that we talked OOC sometimes but the rp with eachother was a real treat[size=78%]. [/size]

This right here should have everybody's full support
Quote from: Noidness on 11-06-2012
That is true, the bans are really getting quite heavy over the head, some people have been banned in the recent past with little or no warning, when all they really should have got was a strike. I think you know what I'm talking about.
I'd be up for a server restart, but i would want it to feel like the old Caphori from when i first joined. It had the basic rules that everyone had to follow rule breakers would  be punished, but most of the time if you were a scrub you would at least get a warning first unless it was one of the big rules like stealing or griefing.  Everyone was like a big family in that we talked OOC sometimes but the rp with eachother was a real treat. It was a great Rp environment and allowed for people to use there imagination a bit without having to be super OP. The Caphori we have now feels like its forced and the risk of bans is too heavy :(

You're all contraindicating this thread for one major reason: Resetting the map wont make people want to be less powerful. Resetting the history wont make people more friendly nor united. You are trying to cure IBS with cough medicine. Sure the intent is good, but what you're trying to do is entirely unrelated to the steps you're taking to resolve it.

In short, everything you've said is not a problem with the map, it is a problem with the players.

And there is no easy solution to that.

Kamimaia

Other things are in place that will hopefully improve the quality of RP- however, what with the map as dug out as it already is (No chests in hell for example), a new map will allow new players to not have as much difficulty in having fun.

Minion

Do supplies count as items. Such as beds, wood, glass, metals, materials, crafting stations?

INA7HAN

If i can keep my Cobalt tier stuff for rp reasons that would be cool. The major factions idea sounds really good and they should be application only and such. Make two major factions, one at one side of the map the other at the other side. You can make up your mind of what the factions are going to be, maybe two armies, one the good guys which have a castle and what not where everyone spawns at. The other could be a massive boat with a make shift camp on the shore. I'm also planning maybe on making a faction, but i am un sure currently as there are two many factions and not enough people, so I am un sure of where i would get members from. I'm trying to decide on a warrior guild (Steel Dragons probabaly) or maybe some kind of PMC such as Valor being re made. If Valor is remade the army could be hired by the good guys to fight for them for what ever reason, maybe they have been in peace for a long time and have no real army only a few elite guards?

SRP: Nicolai 'Thunder' Lagunov - Loner - Alive

Tom

>makes obvious good guy faction
>obvious bad guy "faction" has one member or is populated entirely by admins

If we wipe the history would I be able to keep my faction and get a base location?

Also recruitment processes should be left up to the faction leader, weather it be IC recruitment or an OOC application
Quote from: TheAndyShandy on 05-12-2013
Oh boy.
Strap yourselves in, it's time for the great 'obligatory' SRP resurrection of 2013/14/15/16/22

Velspera

You're all contraindicating this thread for one major reason: Resetting the map wont make people want to be less powerful. Resetting the history wont make people more friendly nor united. You are trying to cure IBS with cough medicine. Sure the intent is good, but what you're trying to do is entirely unrelated to the steps you're taking to resolve it.

In short, everything you've said is not a problem with the map, it is a problem with the players.

And there is no easy solution to that.

This is true, but the steps we're going through are what we believe are the first of many to help players cure themselves of this problem they have with wanting to jump ahead in terms of power and responsibility without putting any actual work forth.  Most of us fully understand that resetting the map won't do anything if the players continue down the ridiculous path they seem to be content to skip merrily down without a care in the world. 

If we do nothing, however, then we're stuck in a rut and Caphori will continue to be the 'problem' that so many other players in other sections of HGN keep saying it is.

Plus, we'd be a pretty shitty bunch of admins if we just let the problems fester and sit on our asses.  I know for a fact that James, Kami, and I don't have any intention of sitting idly by and allowing players to continue to prance around with their OP hats on and pretend everything is just Peachy.

I don't know the other admins that well so I can't really say whether they have the same mindset, but I'm hoping they are thinking the same thing that we are.
:D OMG HI.

Caphori Characters: Vaillaro and Ilanna

Velspera

To be honest, he's not that far from the truth.

Velspera

Honestly?  I miss Caphori the way things were when I was a scrub.  At any rate, I'm numbering my thoughts since I, once again, don't feel like writing paragraph transitions...

1) OOC is too excessive when I come onto the server.  I can understand wanting to chat with the other players about things outside of what's going on IC.  What I can't understand is being on the server for a full hour.  I do see, however, that players are making an effort to cut down on it, but I'm hoping it's not just something they do when they see that I've logged in and something that they make themselves aware of ALL the time.

2) I do think the map needs to be reset, but if the end product everyone wants is definitive towns and areas of wilderness there need to be definitive zones set for cities and towns and definitive areas set for wilderness.  As for people who want to build away from cities, they can just as easily claim a sky island, build their OWN sky island, or build underground to keep the wilderness areas uninhabited as they should be.

3) Bandits and hideouts are only useful if those bandits and highwaymen actually do something.  If we make a bandit group and 10 people join, but all they do is walk around town and say they're bandits then that defeats the purpose of the group.  They may as well just be lazy, ornery farmers the like to live in caves and stare at gold. 

However, if they ARE going to be a group that actually does break into homes and rob people 1) they need to understand that if they are a bandit they cannot be a fucking Neutral Good bandit that only robs people they don't like (god, I will seriously strangle someone if I see them do that) ; and 2) we need to set up some sort of method that allows them to rob people without forcing players to sacrifice important items they don't want to give up because that would just frustrate all the players who aren't bandits.

4) I'm only okay with ruined buildings if they don't look like crap and actually have a purpose.  Too often, I have seen someone create a ruined building and put down a sign that says it has some significance, but in the end that sign and that building have no purpose whatsoever.  In cases like that, the buildings shouldn't be there at all because it only serves in making the map look cluttered.

5) I am all for a fresh start with entirely new characters.  Sure, I'd hate to give up my wings and whatnot, but I like playing Terraria so starting from scratch is never a big problem for me.  I'd say, however, that should a fresh start be approved we should regulate boss fights far better (otherwise people will start summoning the Eye of Cthulhu within the first hour just so they can get a set of molten armor before the end of the week and, once again, become OP) and find some way to put more heart containers underground since they'd probably run out pretty fast.

6) Admins need to pay as much attention to the character limit we've imposed as the regular players do.  I can understand two IC characters and one character for doing admin work when they want to be strictly OOC.  Any more than that is pointless.

7) Admins also need to moderate themselves when it comes to equipment.  Even I have this problem and I'm more than happy to fix it, but there is no point in an admin having a full set of HM armor, weapons, and accessories if none of the normal players don't.  If an admin wants to win an IC fight, win it with your own skill and not with your HM equipment.  Anything they have to do OOC to settle disputes, punish players, or reward players can easily be done with commands.

Kamimaia

Quote from: Velspera on 12-06-2012
Honestly?  I miss Caphori the way things were when I was a scrub.  At any rate, I'm numbering my thoughts since I, once again, don't feel like writing paragraph transitions...

1) OOC is too excessive when I come onto the server.  I can understand wanting to chat with the other players about things outside of what's going on IC.  What I can't understand is being on the server for a full hour.  I do see, however, that players are making an effort to cut down on it, but I'm hoping it's not just something they do when they see that I've logged in and something that they make themselves aware of ALL the time.

2) I do think the map needs to be reset, but if the end product everyone wants is definitive towns and areas of wilderness there need to be definitive zones set for cities and towns and definitive areas set for wilderness.  As for people who want to build away from cities, they can just as easily claim a sky island, build their OWN sky island, or build underground to keep the wilderness areas uninhabited as they should be.

3) Bandits and hideouts are only useful if those bandits and highwaymen actually do something.  If we make a bandit group and 10 people join, but all they do is walk around town and say they're bandits then that defeats the purpose of the group.  They may as well just be lazy, ornery farmers the like to live in caves and stare at gold. 

However, if they ARE going to be a group that actually does break into homes and rob people 1) they need to understand that if they are a bandit they cannot be a fucking Neutral Good bandit that only robs people they don't like (god, I will seriously strangle someone if I see them do that) ; and 2) we need to set up some sort of method that allows them to rob people without forcing players to sacrifice important items they don't want to give up because that would just frustrate all the players who aren't bandits.

4) I'm only okay with ruined buildings if they don't look like crap and actually have a purpose.  Too often, I have seen someone create a ruined building and put down a sign that says it has some significance, but in the end that sign and that building have no purpose whatsoever.  In cases like that, the buildings shouldn't be there at all because it only serves in making the map look cluttered.

5) I am all for a fresh start with entirely new characters.  Sure, I'd hate to give up my wings and whatnot, but I like playing Terraria so starting from scratch is never a big problem for me.  I'd say, however, that should a fresh start be approved we should regulate boss fights far better (otherwise people will start summoning the Eye of Cthulhu within the first hour just so they can get a set of molten armor before the end of the week and, once again, become OP) and find some way to put more heart containers underground since they'd probably run out pretty fast.

6) Admins need to pay as much attention to the character limit we've imposed as the regular players do.  I can understand two IC characters and one character for doing admin work when they want to be strictly OOC.  Any more than that is pointless.

7) Admins also need to moderate themselves when it comes to equipment.  Even I have this problem and I'm more than happy to fix it, but there is no point in an admin having a full set of HM armor, weapons, and accessories if none of the normal players don't (Unless you only have 20 HP and the only offensive weapon you've got is a damn steel dagger. -Kami).  If an admin wants to win an IC fight, win it with your own skill and not with your HM equipment.  Anything they have to do OOC to settle disputes, punish players, or reward players can easily be done with commands.

INA7HAN

Quote from: Velspera on 12-06-2012

7) Admins also need to moderate themselves when it comes to equipment.  Even I have this problem and I'm more than happy to fix it, but there is no point in an admin having a full set of HM armor, weapons, and accessories if none of the normal players don't.  If an admin wants to win an IC fight, win it with your own skill and not with your HM equipment.  Anything they have to do OOC to settle disputes, punish players, or reward players can easily be done with commands.
Lol I remember when i joined Caphori a year or so ago. I was struggling to get Silver armour and went around trying to make some that was pretty fun tbh and no one was op then really. That was pretty fun, though I will miss my cobalt armour if we do get char wipes but i won't stop playing Caphori so I'm not bothered what you do really. If you make it fun i will play end of and other people need to understand that it's about fun roleplay not getting Hallow armour and HM stuff.

SRP: Nicolai 'Thunder' Lagunov - Loner - Alive

Velspera

Lol I remember when i joined Caphori a year or so ago. I was struggling to get Silver armour and went around trying to make some that was pretty fun tbh and no one was op then really. That was pretty fun, though I will miss my cobalt armour if we do get char wipes but i won't stop playing Caphori so I'm not bothered what you do really. If you make it fun i will play end of and other people need to understand that it's about fun roleplay not getting Hallow armour and HM stuff.

^YES.

Steven :D

yeah and i really wish i could make a world 10x the normal size of a large world for caphori but nope that ain't happening.

(for reference that would be 84,000x42,000  pixels compared to the 8,400x4,200 right now)