4 ideas one cup- err topic

Started by Cpt.Gingerbeard, 24-08-2011

Cpt.Gingerbeard

Idea 1- OC build only charachters whoes only purpose it is to build with no roleplay or wepones (with access to movemnt gear & defencive gear which would normally be restricted by class)
             I suppose these will be useful for builders- it will save them having to go "i am currently OC" every couple of minutes- also building is already a pain in the ass especially with tall structures (damned harpies) but with the introduction of the class system it will become damn near impossible unless somesort of equipment leway is given in that situation. The OC building charchters could be given out by auth (seperate from second charchters) and could be labled with (incert name)'s OC Builder

Idea 2- Material permits- i have quicky realised that the need for materials is slowly destroying the land (only YOU can stop climate change- or not depending on whether or not humans actually cause it) For one most of the sand is being used up quickly due to an ever present need for glass & bottles. So a possible solution to this could be material permits where a person can apply and be given permission to bring in X amount of Y material (such as sand which i drastcily need to fill up the gaping holes in my ocean with, damed greifers) whilst also stating the intended purpose. For one it would save the builders a Cwap tone of trouble simply foraging for the stuff and allow them to get on with building. And i suppose there is the argument that builders should be foriging for stuff cuz thats what most people do (+ various other arguments which i cant be asked to come up with- me being lazy and all) - however one should recognise the fact that the ores are rather quickly being taken- the land is slowly being stripped bare which is slightly unfare for the newer members who are strugeling to even find copper- now admitedly this will all be solved when the wilderness server is created- but that isn't any time soon (as far as i know) and it has gotten to a point where i find that copper has become about the only thing i see when i go underground these days. My other argument for this would simply be that we need to replace blocks hit with meteorite or we will most likely find ourselves hell deep in the stuff (damned sky falling- i blame you Vail- you sky people allways bring trouble) we could use this as a temporary solution untill wilderness is up or have it as a more perminant feature- if you guys want

Idea 3- A group of people who (oc or ic) go underground and place ores & chests (with items) in radom locations which they bring from outside the server (this could be a mod job or given to people with the same level of resposability as a mod) they in turn can't go underground to mine or get chests- however can sell or barter "information" which discloses the location of said ores or chests
again another temporary solution which is more a place holder for wilderness

Idea 4- and the idea I am personaly most intersed in (being most interested in the story telling and roleplaying aspect of caphori)- An event commitie - a group of people sized of a few members (mods and a few regular contributers and faction leaders(depending on faction size ect)) who decide what kind of story arcs Caphori should go through and what kind of events should be planned in the long term (no good Steven having all the fun :P jk though your input and opinions on the idea would be much apriciated). I  find roleplay slows down when there is no definitive goal (usualy slows down to an awquard hault and then people start to piss about OC...)- and to make it so we balance surprise with community input, members could sudgest story arcs to commite memebers (or a single  designatede member) via pm where it will be considered by the commite and then accepted or rejected

Well thoes are the ideas- thoughts?

Velspera

I've read through all of this and, personally, I think all of it sounds more than reasonable.

A month ago or so I think the amount of resources wasn't as bad as most believed it was, but now it's definitely gotten to the point that it is a little worrying to think of exactly how newcomers will get by.  Here are my individual thoughts on it all, though.

2)  I'm not -so- keen on the OOC build only characters because there's already a 2 character limit and people are just going to ask whether your OOC anyway unless you have it in your name.  It's probably better to save the possible second character in case you have a great IC idea.  It's not much hassle to tell people you are OOC and just get along with building.  Then again, I -am- the type of person that just sort of zones out when I'm seriously into building and ignores whatever the heck is going on around me until I am done.

2) I did nothing!  Nothing at all! -shifty eyes-  But seriously, you're right about this.  Something like this would have to be watched pretty closely as I am sure there are plenty of people that would come up with whatever reason they could managed to bring off-server items onto the server (I need this sunfury to help me build this tower!  I swear, I do!), but if it's restricted to -only- building mats -I- don't see what problems it would cause.

3) This...I'm sort of half/half on.  There are plenty of extra stuff people have stashed away on server and don't even use.  If those people would make it known to newcomers that they -have- materials that they could claim simply by performing a few quests, it would make things a lot simpler.  But, I'm sure there's some form of hoarding going on in all edges of the map.  I see absolutely no point in having more than 2 types of each item (Ex. 2 bands of regen - 1 equipped, one extra) for each person unless you're in a faction, and even then keeping more than 3 is still a bit excessive.  So, yes, steps should be taken to ensure these items go into the hands of those who could actually make use of them rather than sitting in a chest/piggy/safe somewhere.

Also, people who already have one type of item should probably think about what they take from chests they find underground before they raid them.  I know there is something to be said about taking what you've earned when you've just dug down 1500 feet, but if you have two magic mirrors already and find a gold chest with a third, leave it for someone else that can -use- it to find. 

4) I am behind this fully.
:D OMG HI.

Caphori Characters: Vaillaro and Ilanna

Lord_Blair

Quote from: Cpt.Gingerbeard on 24-08-2011
Idea 1- OC build only charachters whoes only purpose it is to build with no roleplay or wepones (with access to movemnt gear & defencive gear which would normally be restricted by class)
             I suppose these will be useful for builders- it will save them having to go "i am currently OC" every couple of minutes- also building is already a pain in the ass especially with tall structures (damned harpies) but with the introduction of the class system it will become damn near impossible unless somesort of equipment leway is given in that situation. The OC building charchters could be given out by auth (seperate from second charchters) and could be labled with (incert name)'s OC Builder

Idea 2- Material permits- i have quicky realised that the need for materials is slowly destroying the land (only YOU can stop climate change- or not depending on whether or not humans actually cause it) For one most of the sand is being used up quickly due to an ever present need for glass & bottles. So a possible solution to this could be material permits where a person can apply and be given permission to bring in X amount of Y material (such as sand which i drastcily need to fill up the gaping holes in my ocean with, damed greifers) whilst also stating the intended purpose. For one it would save the builders a Cwap tone of trouble simply foraging for the stuff and allow them to get on with building. And i suppose there is the argument that builders should be foriging for stuff cuz thats what most people do (+ various other arguments which i cant be asked to come up with- me being lazy and all) - however one should recognise the fact that the ores are rather quickly being taken- the land is slowly being stripped bare which is slightly unfare for the newer members who are strugeling to even find copper- now admitedly this will all be solved when the wilderness server is created- but that isn't any time soon (as far as i know) and it has gotten to a point where i find that copper has become about the only thing i see when i go underground these days. My other argument for this would simply be that we need to replace blocks hit with meteorite or we will most likely find ourselves hell deep in the stuff (damned sky falling- i blame you Vail- you sky people allways bring trouble) we could use this as a temporary solution untill wilderness is up or have it as a more perminant feature- if you guys want

Idea 3- A group of people who (oc or ic) go underground and place ores & chests (with items) in radom locations which they bring from outside the server (this could be a mod job or given to people with the same level of resposability as a mod) they in turn can't go underground to mine or get chests- however can sell or barter "information" which discloses the location of said ores or chests
again another temporary solution which is more a place holder for wilderness

Idea 4- and the idea I am personaly most intersed in (being most interested in the story telling and roleplaying aspect of caphori)- An event commitie - a group of people sized of a few members (mods and a few regular contributers and faction leaders(depending on faction size ect)) who decide what kind of story arcs Caphori should go through and what kind of events should be planned in the long term (no good Steven having all the fun :P jk though your input and opinions on the idea would be much apriciated). I  find roleplay slows down when there is no definitive goal (usualy slows down to an awquard hault and then people start to piss about OC...)- and to make it so we balance surprise with community input, members could sudgest story arcs to commite memebers (or a single  designatede member) via pm where it will be considered by the commite and then accepted or rejected

Well thoes are the ideas- thoughts?
Hmmm... The only reason I haven't gone on with Avox is because I don't know what Steven wants to do, though. We just need to be a little more active, modwise, on events. I don't know if we really need other people to help... And, you could be a faction leader and still not be a good contributor.
And, for number 3, no. Wilderness server will solve it.
Material permits? Sure, we already have that, just not officially. Ask a mod and you will recieve.
OOC Characters? No... sorry.. I don't think we need that. I think people are MORE than capable of being able to type "I'm now IC" or "I'm now OOC."

Cpt.Gingerbeard

i suppose for idea one i didn't explain myself well enough. The basic idea was that (the OC IC thing just being a minor issue) The would give builders some breathing space after classes come out. The most important thing for a builder is the ability to move around and not get thrown off a buliding while they are building it. The no wepones & OC thing was more so that the  building spesific charachters couldnt abuse their mobility and to stop people simply having builder as a sub class for the mobility alone. Ultimately this idea was more for makin things easier for builder- without interfering with the class system itself.

Hmmm... The only reason I haven't gone on with Avox is because I don't know what Steven wants to do, though. We just need to be a little more active, modwise, on events. I don't know if we really need other people to help... And, you could be a faction leader and still not be a good contributor.

As far as avox goes, if the mods want to do it on their own, then fair enough- seems like fun and who doesn't enjoy  surprises. However this sudgestion was more to secure comunity input for the future and alow everyone to have as much fun with their charachters as possible (especialy thoes with elaborate back stories...)
By having an offical "body", if you will ,to take care of making events happen we can make events well planed- elaborate -  quick to come out & frequent to come out. Roleplay has a habbit of slowing down quickly, and there is always a need for there to be some sort of drive for the charchters, If it wasnt for the pointless objecitve i give cap (SKY PIRATES!!!!) he would quite literaly spend most of his time wandering in circles and not do much thereby reducing his interaction with other charchters- reducing roleplay (not that cap is special, the same goes for all the charchters in Caphori).
By  having a group of people designated to producing events you make it so that the community is always engaged, reducing pressure on thoes that are less keen on randomly forcing roleplaying scenarious and are simply more interested in natural roleplay which comes out more during events where there is less controle .( We could verry easily have a series of smaller events planned by a few of the members to occupy people and build up to larger events). The "system" lets call it, allowes for the input of the community (via sudgestion) and will generaly alow for the community to feel involved, a removal of the boundry between comunity sudgestion (for events) and Mod planned events takes the load off mods as far as coming up with events is concerned and will help people have adequate conclusions for their charachters elaborate back stories.
I would also thing it slightly necesary to at the verry least have the more large Faction leaders or Faction representatives to be part of the "commitie", this being mostly to make sure factions dont end up simply being left on the side to twiddle their thumbs as events happens (say some sort of faction war happens, rather than have unrelated factions simply mill about and generaly feel left out, by giving them their own individual objectives it would allow for the factions to both feel included and create material for future faction action and events)-

(note:If you feel as if i only posed this sudgestion to somehow obtain some sort of power or advantage feel free to exclude me form the commite entierly (my only interest is that there always be some sort of interesting plotline and that no member of the community feels left out at any point, feel free to pull me up on stuff you think i'm doing more for personal benefit than faction/community benefit))

oh and as far as 2 & 3 are cocerned- mostly solved by the new shop