When the HGN servers come back online, I'm going to try some new things.

Started by Spades_Neil, 23-09-2011

Spades_Neil

Long story short I'm going to be advertizing for FORP on my YouTube accounts which both have a decent enough amount of attention. However, I'm going to need everyone's help to get the server nice an active again.

We get things working, we know what works, but for some reason we always try to change things that already work. Then the server goes quiet again. Let's just stick with what works for now. In the mean time I'm anticipating a bit of new content from Last.Exile in terms of weapons and possibly new armor. New content helps spur more interest. Part of the reason some RPers leave is because it's too stale. Not enough variety in the content, so the roleplay consequently becomes less interesting. It's not about everyone trying to have the best gun, it's everybody having the same damn gun. :P

Of course that's not the only issue we have. Point is, things are still fixable--and if I can get the cooperation of the small community we have, we'll get FORP lively again.

... Also I know you guys are going to hate me for this, but we're going back to GM_Atomic some other map. Our choices are CSC Desert and GM Atomic. Yes, I love RP Apocalypse too--but really, we're better off on a small map for a small playerbase. I've honestly had more roleplay on GM_Atomic for example than ever on RP_Apocalypse. When our playerbase gets big enough, we'll move back to RP_Apocalypse to accommodate it. Just trust me on it.

I suggest you all donate $5-$10 here and there to Exile to give him a pat on the back for new content as it shows up. I know I will. :)

For now, all the servers are still FUBAR. However, if anyone is still checking the forums, now's your chance to put in some feedback of how you'd like to see things run/altered when everything comes back online.

Khorn

gm_Atomic will kill FoRP.

Find a different map or you will doom it with Atomic.

Ragolution

Spades_Neil

Quote from: Ragolution on 23-09-2011
Fuckshit. I want to change my vote to CSC desert.

Done.

Votes reset due to edits.
Former count as of 9/24/11
Atomic: 1
Desert: 4
Salvation: 3
Salvation 2: 1

Khorn made me aware of a map called RP_Salvation_2, which is actually pretty badass. It looks NOTHING like the first RP_Salvation, which frankly, I don't care for very much. Salvation 2 looks like a decent wasteland. So that's my vote. RP Salvation was added for sake of, "We need more shit and this will have to do." Salvation 2 is more along the lines of, "We want more shit, and this is worth getting." Tis my opinion anyhow.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/Spades_Neil/screenshot/578935035169976290

Keep looking for decent maps while we wait on someone to make us one.

However, CSC Desert is nice too, and I'd like to bring back the Vault dwellers... Or just give the vault to the Enclave. Whatever. Problem with CSC Desert though is it's too flat. People mostly liked it because of the bunkers and nothing more.

Ragolution

Quote from: Spades_Neil on 24-09-2011

Done.

CSC Desert is nice too, and I'd like to bring back the Vault dwellers... Or just give the vault to the Enclave. Whatever. Problem with CSC Desert though is it's too flat. People mostly liked it because of the bunkers and nothing more.

So get someone to edit it. call it csc_hgn_desert_1 and call it a day. The problem is getting hostel or someone to actually do it.

It's easier than making a map from scratch, all said.

Spades_Neil

Quote from: Ragolution on 24-09-2011

Done.

CSC Desert is nice too, and I'd like to bring back the Vault dwellers... Or just give the vault to the Enclave. Whatever. Problem with CSC Desert though is it's too flat. People mostly liked it because of the bunkers and nothing more.

So get someone to edit it. call it csc_hgn_desert_1 and call it a day. The problem is getting hostel or someone to actually do it.

Easier said than done. Someone tried that for us. The map is either protected or the person editing the map was a retard, because Hammer crashed CONSTANTLY trying to edit the map.

Way ahead of you Rag.

Ragolution

Done.

Easier said than done. Someone tried that for us. The map is either protected or the person editing the map was a retard, because Hammer crashed CONSTANTLY trying to edit the map.

Way ahead of you Rag.

Plan B - Go to Hostel's house, hold his family hostage until he makes you a map.

lolKieck

Done.

Way ahead of you Rag.

Plan B - Go to Hostel's house, hold his family hostage until he makes you a map.
░░░░░░░▐▄▀▒▒▀▀▀▀▄▄▄▀▒▒▒▒▒▐
░░░░░▄▄▀▒░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒█▒▒▄█▒▐
░░░▄▀▒▒▒░░░▒▒▒░░░▒▒▒▀██▀▒▌
░░▐▒▒▒▄▄▒▒▒▒░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▀▄▒▒
░░▌░░▌█▀▒▒▒▒▒▄▀█▄▒▒▒▒▒▒▒█▒
░▐░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▌██▀▒▒░░░▒▒▒▀ ▌
░▌░▒▄██▄▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░░░░░░▒▒▒ ▌
▀▒▀▐▄█▄█▌▄░▀▒▒░░░░░░░░░░▒▒ ▐
▐▒▒▐▀▐▀▒░▄▄▒▄▒▒▒▒▒▒░▒░▒░▒▒ ▒▌
▐▒▒▒▀▀▄▄▒▒▒▄▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░▒░▒░▒ ▐
░▌▒▒▒▒▒▒▀▀▀▒▒▒▒▒▒░▒░▒░▒░▒▒ ▌
░▐▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░▒░▒░▒▒▄▒▒
░░▀▄▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░▒░▒░▒▄▒▒▒▒

Khorn

Problem with CSC Desert is the fact it's a flat desert. We need a wasteland, not California.

Spades_Neil

Quote from: Khorn on 24-09-2011
We need a wasteland, not California.

... What's the difference?
Oh I'm kidding. Chill.

No seriously, that's always been my problem with CSC Desert. Too flat. Provided, with enough static rocks and other props it actually looked quite nice--but mind you that too many staticed items tends to fuck up the server.

EDIT: But... looks like we've got a dead heat between CSC Desert and RP Salvation. Looks like I'm still going to have to think of something to make it work... and I may have a brilliant idea for it.

mxh24

Well you know me and how I am on every. Fucking. Day. BUT my computer ofically took a shit, and I am looking for a gaming computer, so I wish to help, (If I am unbanned of course). but I might not be able too. Anyways, Cheers.

"When in doubt, mumble."

Spades_Neil

Quote from: mxh24 on 26-09-2011
Well you know me and how I am on every. Fucking. Day. BUT my computer ofically took a shit, and I am looking for a gaming computer, so I wish to help, (If I am unbanned of course). but I might not be able too. Anyways, Cheers.

Jake wants to "supervise" your unban, whatever that means, so we'll see how it goes. I know you've had a lot of support from unban since it all started.

But let's save that issue for later.

Das_Uberman

To me, either CSC Desert, or RP Salvation 2 will do. But as for GM Atomic:
DISTURBED "NEVER AGAIN" [NEW SONG FULL 2010]

The first RP Salvation is pretty sucky too.

And on a side note, yes. Bring back the vault dwellers. That's a nice piece of canon that we're missing. It'll help make things more fallout-ish.

Mr. Pink

I'm moving my vote to salvation 2. I originally put it down for csc_desert but then saw the salvation 2 pic. Do want.
I wish for a pinball machine full of Cannabis.

Silver Knight

Done.

Way ahead of you Rag.

It uses a fake block which stops it being decompiled in the map, there are ways around this and ive played with this map before but it's really not worth it as it's poorly made.

Quotebreslau: if i cant cheat i dont wanna play
breslau: period

Spades_Neil

Quote from: Last.Exile on 27-09-2011
It uses a fake block which stops it being decompiled in the map, there are ways around this and ive played with this map before but it's really not worth it as it's poorly made.

Even if it is poorly made (and I do agree... it -is- poorly made), it's still getting a lot of positive feedback in this thread. If it's what the players want, I figure it's what we should give them. I'm already thinking of a decent reason as to why it's a desert wasteland that matches with the current canon. Farmland tends to turn into desert wasteland when it is neglected for many years. Parts of Massachusetts has farmland, as does New Hampshire and Vermont. Maine too. Dunno about Connecticut.

Either way we could make it work. The big reason CSC Desert is so appealing despite its lack of landscape is because of the underground structures. The bunker is epic. The vault is a nice touch. I wish I could just take those two elements and plop them into some other map.

In any case it's good to see a bunch of feedback on this thread--which indicates people still care.

EDIT: Though it seems that indeed the problems with CSC Desert are worse than I thought. I guess the map triggers a memory leak which slowly sinks the server.

Recreas

We've tried CSC Desert before, yes it looked okay with static props. Though it fucked up the server a lot with the increasing latency and etc. I don't suggest taking Desert as Exile says it's a map not made by a mapper but by some random gmodder. So I do suggest taking Salvation or atleast something else. Desert will most likely fuck up your whole game play. It doesn't have enough space, though I''m not sure, the playerbase might have changed in the few months I haven't been on FORP.
Anyhow, good luck with getting a map.
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves