The REAL problem with FORP. It's more simple than you think!

Started by Spades_Neil, 16-08-2011

Spades_Neil

No, it's not the bandits.
No, it's not the adminges.
No, it's not the bad RPers.
No, it's not the small playerbase (although we do want to fix this).
No, it's not the Enclave (unless they metagame).
No, it's not the Brotherhood (unless they metagame).

It's the lack of factions. That continues to be the one thing that holds Fallout RP back that has yet to be repaired. It's what gives players the ability to generate their own entertainment without having to rely on admins 24/7 on the server. It's what we had before the firestorm that had FORP so frequently active, and what we lost after the firestorm that made it die.

The solution is simple: Create major factions. The Brotherhood was the first to live again and will remain so under the command of yours truly (unless/until someone better for the job comes along). Meanwhile, Jake runs the Enclave which just recently reopened applications. All we have to do is get these and other large factions up and running under competent leaders and we'll be golden.

Now ideally, I'd like to see a third faction of some kind rise up that takes a neutral spot in the wasteland. If we refer to my character alignment plot, then they should lean toward the lawful side of things. Right now I have a perfectly unoccupied town sitting on top of my BoS base, and no one to run it. Storms' End has a pretty good number of people, but I have to admit, without Mr. Pink's direct guidance, shit has kinda broken down... lol. Even when Pink is on, the faction doesn't have much direction. Now if we can -give- them some kind of direction and something to do without their leaders on, then we can cement them in the server and keep things happy and active without us admins needing to be online.

It'd be even more ideal if we can either temporarily suspend the whole "one faction" rule for FORP or allow the "third faction" to be playerbased like Storms' End.

Now, summer is coming to an end. Many of us will be going back to their jobs and schools. I myself will be returning to college at Northern Essex. Mean time, after mostly positive feedback from my character alignment thread, I'm going to try to re-write the canon of the New England wasteland in a series of three short stories that will be from the point of view of a Brotherhood member (Spades), an Enclave soldier, and an Institute scientist.

More good news! We might also have a new map some time in the future! I've contacted the creator of rp_cscdesert_v2-1 and asked if he was still map making. I told him a little background of our Bostonian wasteland, and apparently he recently visited Boston! He's interested in doing us a map!

Quote from: Email from Mike
I actually just had a trip to Boston about a month ago, so doing a portion of the city would certainly be interesting. I'd like to ask you for what part of the city, business, central, commons, North end, etc? as we will only be able to recreate a small portion of the city. If you could draw up some preliminary designs of what you have in mind that would be awesome. Also, identify specific landmarks in the area to model such that it feels at least somewhat like Boston.

Thanks,
Mike

I'm thinking either the Charles River or Boston Commons is a perfect location. A big river, some bridges, a shit ton of buildings, highways, and *dramatic music* THE INSTITUTE... or then there's the Museum of Science and a bunch of other cool shit. Plus subways. I loved the subways in FO3. Now, I can't make any promises that we will ever have this new map, because we don't know if the map maker will stay true to his word... but for the moment, it's something we can hopefully look forward to.

We've still got a pretty good chance at making this work. All it takes is time and effort.

Khorn

I can give something for the Storms' End to do...

Raider style.

Caso

Quote from: Khorn on 16-08-2011
I can give something for the Storms' End to do...

Raider style.

You always give them something to do raider style. Then you killed them off by car cash and jet overdose :P
I used to be an adventure like you, but then the shadow started chasing me through a castle filled with monsters.

Tom

Spades, you should ask Jake about the details regaurding the Institute. . . Just saying. . . Before you make a short story about it. . .
Quote from: TheAndyShandy on 05-12-2013
Oh boy.
Strap yourselves in, it's time for the great 'obligatory' SRP resurrection of 2013/14/15/16/22

Plunger

I've already said this over steam, and such but I'll say it here too. The institute shouldn't be a major faction, nor a minor faction, nor an event faction. The whole point of it in Fallout is that it is the omnipotent organization that can advance scientific pursuit, but other then that it's shrouded in mystery, making it a faction, and having people RP as members would completely ruin any mystique that it holds as of now. It DOES NOT need to be a faction, please don't try, and make it one.

Spades_Neil

Quote from: Tom on 16-08-2011
Spades, you should ask Jake about the details regaurding the Institute. . . Just saying. . . Before you make a short story about it. . .

Well considering there's almost zero detail about it in actual Fallout lore, essentially what I'm just going to do is write the story and run it by him before publishing it on the forums so he can make any critique or changes he wants.

As long as they make sense of course. I don't want some dumb Illuminati wannabe organization.

Quote from: Plunger on 16-08-2011
I've already said this over steam, and such but I'll say it here too. The institute shouldn't be a major faction, nor a minor faction, nor an event faction. The whole point of it in Fallout is that it is the omnipotent organization that can advance scientific pursuit, but other then that it's shrouded in mystery, making it a faction, and having people RP as members would completely ruin any mystique that it holds as of now. It DOES NOT need to be a faction, please don't try, and make it one.

I know. I am taking your advice on this. It probably is best to not make it an actual faction. "Event faction" just means when we do need to use them, or some sub-faction related to them, admins would just recruit a few people they can trust not to fuck it all up. Plus, seeing actual scientists coming out of the Institute is going to be extremely rare. Regardless, we do need to set the mood for this faction when it does eventually get used so I'll be writing a short story from one scientist's point of view.

Plunger

Quote from: Spades_Neil on 16-08-2011

Well considering there's almost zero detail about it in actual Fallout lore, essentially what I'm just going to do is write the story and run it by him before publishing it on the forums so he can make any critique or changes he wants.

As long as they make sense of course. I don't want some dumb Illuminati wannabe organization.

I know. I am taking your advice on this. It probably is best to not make it an actual faction. "Event faction" just means when we do need to use them, or some sub-faction related to them, admins would just recruit a few people they can trust not to fuck it all up. Plus, seeing actual scientists coming out of the Institute is going to be extremely rare. Regardless, we do need to set the mood for this faction when it does eventually get used so I'll be writing a short story from one scientist's point of view.
What do you mean "When it's used", who said it was being used?

Ragolution

Plunger wants it not to be used at all.

+support plunger

Spades_Neil

What do you mean "When it's used", who said it was being used?

It's already being used, just not directly. Jake has a character who was a former mercenary of the Institute... or something. His name is 'The Exile'.

No I don't understand it either.

jaik

It's already being used, just not directly. Jake has a character who was a former mercenary of the Institute... or something. His name is 'The Exile'.

I don't use the character anymore due to some complaints I received and he wasn't really part of the Institute. All what he did was capturing Jet and after that they kicked him out.
Blake.H: And im also working on whipping him into shape
Blake.H: He's nice
Blake.H: He doesn't moan
Blake.H: The sheer obedience is enough to fuel my erection anyway

Spades_Neil

Quote from: Jake on 16-08-2011

I don't use the character anymore due to some complaints I received and he wasn't really part of the Institute. All what he did was capturing Jet and after that they kicked him out.

Oh ok. At least we can avoid that confusion.

mxh24

I have come to say one thing, and one thing only!

We have a small playerbase which would make it impossible to create more than a few(2-3) factions because most people are not going to be active or just want to be a wastelander *Gasps for air* Therefore you should first fix the playerbase (For you to figure out) and THEN add factions because otherwise it will end up like the boons where no one was active and eventually goes down. *Gasps* The rest is to be told.

There you go.
(Also, by we, I mean you guys having your jolly ol' time in FORP, good luck :D )

"When in doubt, mumble."

mikeywrenn

More factions = spread player base = bored players = players leave = smaller playerbase = worse state. Fact.
[OOC] Aleksandr Makarov: When do you actually need Cullinary?
[OOC] Commissar Ruslan Turchin: Vat... are you trying to say cooking skill?
[OOC] Aleksandr Makarov: Yeah.
[OOC] Commissar Ruslan Turchin: It's for the women, of course. Which is why we don't see that skill much.

lolKieck

Quote from: mikeywrenn on 17-08-2011
More factions = spread player base = bored players = players leave = smaller playerbase = worse state. Fact.
It's only 2 factions in FORP, in SRP there are 4 factions and see, SRP is active.
░░░░░░░▐▄▀▒▒▀▀▀▀▄▄▄▀▒▒▒▒▒▐
░░░░░▄▄▀▒░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒█▒▒▄█▒▐
░░░▄▀▒▒▒░░░▒▒▒░░░▒▒▒▀██▀▒▌
░░▐▒▒▒▄▄▒▒▒▒░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▀▄▒▒
░░▌░░▌█▀▒▒▒▒▒▄▀█▄▒▒▒▒▒▒▒█▒
░▐░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▌██▀▒▒░░░▒▒▒▀ ▌
░▌░▒▄██▄▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░░░░░░▒▒▒ ▌
▀▒▀▐▄█▄█▌▄░▀▒▒░░░░░░░░░░▒▒ ▐
▐▒▒▐▀▐▀▒░▄▄▒▄▒▒▒▒▒▒░▒░▒░▒▒ ▒▌
▐▒▒▒▀▀▄▄▒▒▒▄▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░▒░▒░▒ ▐
░▌▒▒▒▒▒▒▀▀▀▒▒▒▒▒▒░▒░▒░▒░▒▒ ▌
░▐▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░▒░▒░▒▒▄▒▒
░░▀▄▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░▒░▒░▒▄▒▒▒▒

Plunger

lolKieck

Quote from: Plunger on 17-08-2011
Copying SRP is not the way to go though.
I know, I didn't mean that FORP needs 4 factions, but at least more than 2. Enclave vs BoS is evil vs good (correct me if I'm wrong).

Ragolution

Quote from: lolKieck on 17-08-2011
I know, I didn't mean that FORP needs 4 factions, but at least more than 2. Enclave vs BoS is evil vs good (correct me if I'm wrong).

God.

even-numbered factions is so dumb because it eliminates the possibility for political warfare.

Spades_Neil

Provided we don't need four factions, but let's face it; FORP was doing very, very well when it had factions.

I'm not copying SRP, I'm just trying to bring back what worked.

Basically. I want a "third faction" to throw off this balance and provoke something interesting. By "third faction" I have no idea what it'll be yet--but I'm starting to get some ideas.

Ragolution

Quote from: Spades_Neil on 17-08-2011
Quote from: Ragolution on 17-08-2011

God.

even-numbered factions is so dumb because it eliminates the possibility for political warfare.
Basically. I want a "third faction" to throw off this balance and provoke something interesting. By "third faction" I have no idea what it'll be yet--but I'm starting to get some ideas.

PRETTY COOL ORIGINAL IDEA, BRO

Caso

Well if we go for the whole "third faction" to change the balance of power, it has to be some sort of party that could handle itself to go; for or against the brotherhood and enclave. Otherwise those two parties could use the 'third faction' for their own needs, or maybe be able to eliminate them without a problem.

The institute faction is a entrusting idea for a faction, but everyone already spoke about what they disliked about the idea. As well they are piratically stuck in the scare ass building in Boston. So I doubt they would set up in a building outside there secure fortress and make science. I liked the idea of them being a mystery, of what they could be doing behind the curtains. What they could be doing when the wasteland lives on, their little experiments escaping now and then like The Big Empty.

In any case,  we would need players to help make the faction function, and not have a repeat from what I heard from the firestorms event. Like power hungry players, poor leadership, lol killing, and the faction changing from what they were originally designed for.
I used to be an adventure like you, but then the shadow started chasing me through a castle filled with monsters.

Steven :D

Caso

Quote from: Steven :D on 17-08-2011

Edit:

http://filesmelt.com/dl/spades2.PNG

Why is it cut off? Why not just post the whole screenshot and highlight what you want

lolKieck

Quote from: Ragolution on 17-08-2011
political warfare.
Dude, with players from GMod it's impossible. Too many simple-minded and trigger-happy players.

Spades_Neil

Quote from: Caso on 17-08-2011
Quote from: Steven :D on 17-08-2011

Edit:

http://filesmelt.com/dl/spades2.PNG

Why is it cut off? Why not just post the whole screenshot and highlight what you want

Nice try taking something out of context after I ran half the map away from Enclave to ICly avoid you on a waster character while you were in the bunker.

Dumbass.

http://i56.tinypic.com/jjbgur.jpg

How could I have taken that screenshot if I RP avoided with you? I couldn't have. I was on the other side of the map. By the way you both broke some rules about faction/faction conflicts. It says quite clearly in the Stalker rules, which apply to FORP unless edited otherwise;
QuoteAll factions have to declare if they are going to attack a base or outpost or some form of faction controlled territory. This must be done as a planned event. If it is a surprise attack, the defending faction must act as if they are being surprised (that means no crowding around each other and such things that would mean the defenders are metagaming) however OOCly they should know. ICly they should not, during a surprise attack.

lolKieck

I'd say that Jake didn't want to conquer the bunker, since he was the Samuel guy and Pfc. stands below Sgt.