Something for the wasters. Any suggestions?

Started by Spades_Neil, 13-03-2012

Spades_Neil

Fallout is off to a good start. No doubt about it. It's been brought to my attention however that a couple people feel that it's "all about the factions" as they put it, which makes roleplaying a wastelander not very fun. Alright, let's try to fix this.

First off the reason we focused on the factions first is so they can help give the wasters something to do. Now we have a few things -already- that you guys can do to keep yourselves amused. There's a farm behind the NCR, and crops that need to be maintained. The NCR can also start giving odd jobs out to wastelanders to do stuff like salvaging scraps, transporting goods, building small homes in and around NCR, and various small jobs.

Alternatively, you guys can always go hang out in Café Baltic where you can grab a bite to eat and chat with other characters. You CAN do that you know... When I roleplay as Kira in the bar selling food and drinks, I find that very few people say anything. It's so quiet. Come now guys, you can talk too! Start some conversation!

In conclusion, there will be events, and that's what this thread is for, but a lot of wastelander roleplay is, at its core, passive. If you guys want to do a little hunting for food if your trigger finger is too itchy, you're free to try poking an admin for help.

Use the café as a hub for finding roleplay.

In the mean time, post below for any event ideas.

Lent23

Don't forget that the gas station is currently contested between some mercenaries and some raiders, and wasters can always find action around there, depending on the times.

Speaking directly, my mercenary character who resides in the gas station is always looking for able-bodied wasters who will search for metal, supplies, old computer, and other oddities that could possibly be found about the lands. Keep in mind that this is a generality, and I don't expect every waster to go out and find a spare working computer or robot lying in the sand, but it's nice to be able to discuss with somebody the terms of finding metal for them which they can change into something useful.

Also, my character works a lot as a technician, so you can bring any electronic in and have it fixed, modified, etc, where a normal waster wouldn't really be able to accomplish such a thing. this is where scrap metal and such comes in. You can always salvage parts from broken robots.

Speaking directly from a "Benefit Brandon" point of view, there could be possibly some robot outbreak event, and wasters swarm to Brandon with tons of metal which he builds another robot with and sells it to some lucky waster.

Some shit like that, bro. That's just one possibility.
"Mommy, when is Daddy coming home?"
"Here, Alex.. Daddy sent us a package.. The soldier told us that it.. might be a while until Daddy's done with his service. Don't worry, you'll see him soon, Alex.."
"He's always gone! I never get to see him!"

Poler

I'll start handing out "small jobs" for wasters on my NCR character such as tending to the farms, building small structures around the town, and even handling some small work that the NCR doesn't have enough time for ICly, as you stated, Spades. I think and do believe this will give the players a feel of more importance into staying on the server longer as a wastelander. 

Another idea would be the bulletin board in the NCR town. When I was roleplaying as a wastelander, I was glad to see that people (mostly admins) had put up a few jobs on it for wastelanders to do. Such as bringing medical supplies that players scavenged to Dr. Hawkins.

Im not sure on what else to do, but I will guarantee the NCR won't go quietly on giving out jobs to wastelanders.

pilot

Well, my group New Haven is soon to be getting the town and I am going to use it for something very interesting. First off we will be opening a sharecropper department and use the food we crop and sell it to different wasters and factions. Now the cool thing is, we are opening a mall with auctions every so often. This means we will set up any trader with a shop and every so often its that traders choice to open auctions for wasters to buy certain types of goods. We will also be opening up jobs for wasters to help around the town. Any more suggestions? Maybe a name for this town?

Plunger

Quote from: pilot on 13-05-2012
Well, my group New Haven is soon to be getting the town and I am going to use it for something very interesting. First off we will be opening a sharecropper department and use the food we crop and sell it to different wasters and factions. Now the cool thing is, we are opening a mall with auctions every so often. This means we will set up any trader with a shop and every so often its that traders choice to open auctions for wasters to buy certain types of goods. We will also be opening up jobs for wasters to help around the town. Any more suggestions? Maybe a name for this town?
I doubt anyone is going to buy IC food. They don't even buy OOC food.

Spades_Neil

Quote from: Plunger on 15-05-2012
I doubt anyone is going to buy IC food. They don't even buy OOC food.

Actually they do, which is a pleasant surprise.

pilot

The town is currently on construction. If any admin wants to help I will be mostly active either getting wastelanders to maybe help contribute to building the town or I will be doing it with my group.

In other news, I am slowing down the pace of construction so don't worry about that. Every day will be like two walls of bricks.

ZainMenloe

Quote from: pilot on 17-05-2012
The town is currently on construction. If any admin wants to help I will be mostly active either getting wastelanders to maybe help contribute to building the town or I will be doing it with my group.

In other news, I am slowing down the pace of construction so don't worry about that. Every day will be like two walls of bricks.
I help out where I can, but I'll still need an SV to static the wall.

I went and built the full wall for a bit just to see the best way it would fit, and I gotta say I think I got a good idea of the best way to lay it all out.

I would like to talk to you, Pilot, to see if how I had it would be alright.

Corocan

Maybe wasters can buy businesses?

I remember that in one server there were Vendors that sold stuff for caps. There were all types of stores.

Gun and ammo stores, food stores, misc supplies, general needs, ect.

These vendors collected caps from selling the supplies and after about a week or two of selling, a percentage was cut out of the total the vendor had and given to the Waster. Then the businesses were auctioned off to other people. If someone bought a business they couldn't rebuy a new one within four cycles.

I remember I purchased a Weapons business (Wasteland Justice) and made a killing.

Of course, this would probably be a very big problem to Traders.

pilot

These all sound amazing. Pm me if you want to talk to me more about this. But I love these ideas. I want to make this the town where wastelanders stay, like a hub.

D33tly

Spades, i've got the entire event we talked about planned. Just talk to me at some point, and I can give you a quick run-through of it. P.S. we are gonna need Server two for this thing... And an admin or two to play as key characters. We have enough time well I gather people for the event though.

Spades_Neil

Quote from: D33tly on 17-05-2012
Spades, i've got the entire event we talked about planned. Just talk to me at some point, and I can give you a quick run-through of it. P.S. we are gonna need Server two for this thing... And an admin or two to play as key characters. We have enough time well I gather people for the event though.

I'll keep bugging Exile. <3

pilot

Yeah Spades we still need to do that "pre-war" event I was talking about. Get Server 2! Lol jk take your time

Madcombat

Reminds me, we still need to orginise those two "Special" events Spades.

Kelse

Events that require admins let me know, I'll be around for sure

the permaban queen.

pilot

Oh Kelse I can use you for an event with New Haven.

Kelse

the permaban queen.

Ket

More scary/morbid events? I can't think of another place than the underground :\
(°╭ ◡ ╮°)