Ok, now that we know we're Fallout 2, time to discuss location and time.

Started by Spades_Neil, 21-02-2012

Spades_Neil

First off, west Nevada has been a popular idea. Possibly somewhere close to New Reno?

The year I've personally considered is 2255, a year after Fallout 2 ends, but let's face it: I'm naive about this and after doing a bit of research I'm finding it might not be a great idea either. Input your opinion and argument as to what year and location you'd like to see us taking part in specifically. Trolling, flaming, and unrelated comments will be deleted and met with a forum strike and possible ban. Keep your discussion civil.

Things to take note of:
- Vault 10 in the area. Non-Canon vault, which we'll come up with our own backstory to. Ask Das_Uberman who is writing the vault backstory.
- NCR is in its infancy and is not a major power yet, but still enough to butt heads with the Brotherhood of Steel.
- Enclave isn't defeated yet (so 2255 won't work as it is too late, after the oil rig is blown up). Also, just an OOC note, Enclave will *not* be an event faction. It'll be a minor faction (when we start anyway) so players can join other major factions on other characters.

lolKieck

Around 10-20 years before Fallout 2 and after Fallout 1.
The Master's remnant forces and intelligent super mutants, NCR is already a force to be reckoned with and Brotherhood still is a strong faction. Correct me if I'm wrong though.
░░░░░░░▐▄▀▒▒▀▀▀▀▄▄▄▀▒▒▒▒▒▐
░░░░░▄▄▀▒░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒█▒▒▄█▒▐
░░░▄▀▒▒▒░░░▒▒▒░░░▒▒▒▀██▀▒▌
░░▐▒▒▒▄▄▒▒▒▒░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▀▄▒▒
░░▌░░▌█▀▒▒▒▒▒▄▀█▄▒▒▒▒▒▒▒█▒
░▐░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▌██▀▒▒░░░▒▒▒▀ ▌
░▌░▒▄██▄▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░░░░░░▒▒▒ ▌
▀▒▀▐▄█▄█▌▄░▀▒▒░░░░░░░░░░▒▒ ▐
▐▒▒▐▀▐▀▒░▄▄▒▄▒▒▒▒▒▒░▒░▒░▒▒ ▒▌
▐▒▒▒▀▀▄▄▒▒▒▄▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░▒░▒░▒ ▐
░▌▒▒▒▒▒▒▀▀▀▒▒▒▒▒▒░▒░▒░▒░▒▒ ▌
░▐▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░▒░▒░▒▒▄▒▒
░░▀▄▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░▒░▒░▒▄▒▒▒▒

Spades_Neil

Quote from: lolKieck on 21-02-2012
Around 10-20 years before Fallout 2 and after Fallout 1.
The Master's remnant forces and intelligent super mutants, NCR is already a force to be reckoned with and Brotherhood still is a strong faction. Correct me if I'm wrong though.

- Fallout (1) ends.

- The New California Republic is voted into existence as a sprawling federation of five states: Shady Sands, Los Angeles, Maxson, Hub and Dayglow.
- The Followers of the Apocalypse rise to become a major influence in New California. Thanks to the Vault Dweller's help, they gain control of the LA Boneyard.

From 2190 to 2215 not a whole lot happens, so this is one possible option.

Paintcheck

It was 2236 last time so right at the beginning of FO2. Since you are adamant about wasting the Enclave as an event faction it could be any time between 2162 and 2236 and it wouldn't matter because the Enclave wouldn't be around. Do you really want a single-faction server? The BOS will roll everyone else if you stay to canon and give them the tech they ICly have without the Enclave to fight back.

StickyWicket

If we are going to use the csc_desert, than I would propose using the Shady Sands replica as the actual NCR. I'd say 2186 would be a nice time, when they just started to form their own government (maybe a rival faction being the people at Vault 15?) An alternative would be a fallout two canon, but again this doesn't fit so well with the current map.

Spades_Neil

Quote from: Paintcheck on 21-02-2012
It was 2236 last time so right at the beginning of FO2. Since you are adamant about wasting the Enclave as an event faction it could be any time between 2162 and 2236 and it wouldn't matter because the Enclave wouldn't be around. Do you really want a single-faction server? The BOS will roll everyone else if you stay to canon and give them the tech they ICly have without the Enclave to fight back.

I think I need to clarify.

Enclave is a minor faction. Not an event faction. The same is true for Vault 10. This is only for the moment, because in the past we've had problems with Enclave players just getting really really bored and never being active on Enclave. As a minor faction, it will allow players to be in both the Enclave and either the NCR or the BoS.

BoS players however still cannot join NCR and vise-versa.

This is of course still up for debate and also might not be the case in the long run. If Enclave is active enough, I'll return it to major faction status. One way of doing that would be to give the Enclave some kind of character instead of just Disney-evil villains that are the equivalent of raiders in power armor. In the mean time, I'm still trying to decide on a proper leader for the Enclave. Paintcheck, if you have the time and patience, I'd still give said position to you, because I know you gave the Enclave some real character back when you ran it. Otherwise, I'd like your recommendations as to who'd be good at it.

Quote from: StickyWicket on 21-02-2012
If we are going to use the csc_desert, than I would propose using the Shady Sands replica as the actual NCR. I'd say 2186 would be a nice time, when they just started to form their own government (maybe a rival faction being the people at Vault 15?) An alternative would be a fallout two canon, but again this doesn't fit so well with the current map.

It is a Shady Sands replica, but if we use actual Shady Sands I think it'd irritate people with conflicting canon. The best thing to do is indeed to give the town to the NCR, but call it something else. The real Shady Sands would surely be close by, however.

So far it seems we will be leaning some time between 2190 and 2215. 2236 is the minimum date now because otherwise Enclave isn't a force to be reckoned with.

Paintcheck

Boredom is a function of the player, not the Enclave. The reason the first run Enclave worked so well was because I had fantastic players who were very good at passiving with each other when we weren't going to fuck people's shit up. A lot of them also had active wastelanders and were well aware before they joined the Enclave that there would be times when there wasn't much to do offensively. If a player can't figure that out he shouldn't be in the Enclave; that's not the faction as whole's fault.

Regardless if you set it before 2236 unless the server takes place in California (Navarro) you're not going to see anything of the Enclave. 2236 was when they emerged on the West Coast in force if I remember correctly. And they are not "disney villains", the reason people think that is because they are 12 years old and played FO3 in which the factions were reduced to "BOS is good, Enclave is bad" when if you look at FO2's Enclave/factions as a whole they were much more "gray". The Enclave are never going to be friendly to wastelanders but their interactions with them was not always "kill all repeatedly". They needed slaves for research, they traded guns for drugs iirc for studying the effects of Jet on making super soldiers and a whole host of other stuff that a lot of people don't realize because they are console kiddies. The original FO's were far less childish in their treatment of factions. NV attempted to bring that flavor back a little but because there were so many factions who you barely spent any time with I personally never felt all that connected to any of them. 

Spades_Neil

Quote from: Paintcheck on 21-02-2012
Boredom is a function of the player, not the Enclave. The reason the first run Enclave worked so well was because I had fantastic players who were very good at passiving with each other when we weren't going to fuck people's shit up. A lot of them also had active wastelanders and were well aware before they joined the Enclave that there would be times when there wasn't much to do offensively. If a player can't figure that out he shouldn't be in the Enclave; that's not the faction as whole's fault.

Regardless if you set it before 2236 unless the server takes place in California (Navarro) you're not going to see anything of the Enclave. 2236 was when they emerged on the West Coast in force if I remember correctly. And they are not "disney villains", the reason people think that is because they are 12 years old and played FO3 in which the factions were reduced to "BOS is good, Enclave is bad" when if you look at FO2's Enclave/factions as a whole they were much more "gray". The Enclave are never going to be friendly to wastelanders but their interactions with them was not always "kill all repeatedly". They needed slaves for research, they traded guns for drugs iirc for studying the effects of Jet on making super soldiers and a whole host of other stuff that a lot of people don't realize because they are console kiddies. The original FO's were far less childish in their treatment of factions. NV attempted to bring that flavor back a little but because there were so many factions who you barely spent any time with I personally never felt all that connected to any of them.

Ace made me aware of the time problem as well. This being the case, we'll probably instead use something in the 2230's, at least 2236.

Though indeed what you say does sound more like a player issue than a faction issue. Like I said, you ran it pretty damn well.

Steven :D

I'd prefer if the Fallout RP server was as brutal as the FOnline one.

Lexo

Quote from: Steven :D on 21-02-2012
I'd prefer if the Fallout RP server was as brutal as the FOnline one.

Nice thought.. :)

Madcombat

After a quick skim through, all I see is this being all faction orintated.  What about the players, what will they GAIN from being in this enviroment?  BoS keep to themselves, and are heavily armed but my fear is that they will get a balanced playerbase when they should be unbalanced compared to the NCR.
NCR = Man Power
BoS = Technology Power

I've just derailed what I wanted to say, but we should be focusing on wastelander roleplay opposed to faction wars.  Can we try push forward the aim of suvival opposed to "Im a wastelander with daddys shot gun, I no care if I die!"  You never saw people taking advantage of trying to start farms, trying to gain water.  I think we should add some sort of progression to Shady Sands from the shit hole it was to what we hear about it in NV.  That should spice up Wastelander roleplay as there SHOULD be water shortages, food shortages.  You wouldnt just walk down the road and all pull pork chops in a post apocolyptic setting.

Spades_Neil

I too would like to see more focus on survival, but that's up to the roleplayers to passive RP rather than just play it like an RPG. It's usually only a handful of players who play that badly though. Same is true for all the servers. Then the piss off the wrong person, get killed, lose their items, and ragequit.

NCR will be unique in the fact there will be both NCR military which will be treated as a major faction, and NCR civilians which will be treated as a minor or playerbased faction. Brotherhood of Steel meanwhile will be a community in themselves, and they've never had trouble doing well in the past so I'm not concerned. Ultimately, it'll just be a matter of not playing to win. I won't allow faction leaders who "play to win" because as we all know, that's how SRP was killed off back in the day and that's how FRP was killed the first time around. Factions playing to win. If we each get our own little slice of the wasteland, I think we'll be all set.

But let's focus on the topic at hand. Time and place. Don't go too far off topic or I have to split the thread. If you wish to discuss this matter with me further, PM me. If you wish to discuss it in public, start a new thread.

Frostee

Canada.

Do it in fucking Canada. It's original, and nobody really knows anything about Canada except that the US annexed in the canon of Fallout. So why not?

inb4 "Canada is a piece of shit", Shut up and think about it.

meetdadoom

Quote from: FrostyFrosty on 22-02-2012
Canada.

Do it in fucking Canada. It's original, and nobody really knows anything about Canada except that the US annexed in the canon of Fallout. So why not?

inb4 "Canada is a piece of shit", Shut up and think about it.

Or mexico. Two locations that have not been touched. Please do it one of the two and i'll allow you too have Enclave but please, be fucking original and make your own factions like last time.

[flash=500,30]http://www.youtube.com/v/9UousVNJaIM[/flash]

Vortigoat

Isn't Mexico part of the Legion in some time line thing...Not sure tough

pilot

Okay so I wooped up a five minute thing for the time and location of Fallout 2

Time
2241(So BoS is still a huge army, Enclave is still Enclave, and NCR is rising steadily)

Also if you remember the BoS has power to the ARCHEMIDIES, it would be nice to see an event in the future with that.

P.S. Whats the password to the server?

Spades_Neil

Quote from: pilot on 23-02-2012
Okay so I wooped up a five minute thing for the time and location of Fallout 2

Time
2241(So BoS is still a huge army, Enclave is still Enclave, and NCR is rising steadily)

Also if you remember the BoS has power to the ARCHEMIDIES, it would be nice to see an event in the future with that.

P.S. Whats the password to the server?

Well we're not doing Canada, that's for sure. :| We did a custom canon once. Twice in fact. It was a bad idea. Sorry Canada residents. Canada just wouldn't feel like Fallout if we played there. Mexico would be a better option, but we're not going there either. It'll take place somewhere in Nevada.

As for the time, we don't want BoS to start off automatically overpowered. Same is true for the Enclave. I was thinking 2236 is a good place to start because it'd make it so the Enclave are not yet recognized by most people in the wasteland, which both allows Enclave to handle opponents as they see fit and to have a little shock and awe when someone pisses them off.

Finally, the server isn't finished being set up. Password protected for administrators, admin hopefuls, and faction leaders only.

pilot

There is four things we can do with Nevada. South Nevada near Mexico, West Nevada Near California(meaning big NCR) north Nevada(tribalish), and east Nevada(A mix of your choice).

Also, I am the leader of Harpers People and the town Harpers Landing...would that count?

jaik

Not until 2276 and it would just be an excuse to destroy anything without any effort.

There is four things we can do with Nevada. South Nevada near Mexico, West Nevada Near California(meaning big NCR) north Nevada(tribalish), and east Nevada(A mix of your choice).

Or we just say it's Nevada.
Blake.H: And im also working on whipping him into shape
Blake.H: He's nice
Blake.H: He doesn't moan
Blake.H: The sheer obedience is enough to fuel my erection anyway

pilot

True...We can have a mix of everything. Although instead of Outcasts which I am pretty sure are not in Fallout 2, we can replace it with the NCR.

Spades_Neil

Outcasts didn't bring as much to the roleplay table as I had hoped it would. In hindsight, it was a poor choice.

NCR will be a much more playable replacement, equivalent to Frankie's Republic for the oldfags who know what I'm talking about before Hessen ruined it. There will be a military and civilian portion of it, along with mayor elections between candidates who are officially part of the NCR main faction.

The military leadership of the NCR and the civilian leadership of the NCR will hopefully work together nicely to provide a haven for wastelanders.

Anyway, like I said, let's stay on topic. So far 2236 or slightly later is my date of choice. Enclave is fresh on the scene. Anyone disagree?

Paintcheck

Quote from: Spades_Neil on 23-02-2012

Same is true for the Enclave. I was thinking 2236 is a good place to start because it'd make it so the Enclave are not yet recognized by most people in the wasteland, which both allows Enclave to handle opponents as they see fit and to have a little shock and awe when someone pisses them off.

FINALLY good news about the Enclave.

deluxulous

This is actually going to be awesome. After playing last night and setting up a bit, I can confidently state that this will be very fun.

meetdadoom

Quote from: Spades_Neil on 23-02-2012

Well we're not doing Canada, that's for sure. :| We did a custom canon once. Twice in fact. It was a bad idea. Sorry Canada residents. Canada just wouldn't feel like Fallout if we played there. Mexico would be a better option, but we're not going there either. It'll take place somewhere in Nevada.

What the hell were you smoking before fire storm that made you forget everything? And where can I get some of that stuff? We had a costum canon and it worked beautifully until a string of unfortunate events happened.

Plus the good side of having a costum canon is we will stand out from the other 1000s fall out roleplays and we can weed out the shit heads who want to run around as bounty hunter/ninja/whore/robot/bisexual/Shemales/ freak-expieraments and attract some of the good role players.

Also Silver kept rambling on about how the reason why the server isn't populated is because we don't advertise enough. If we advertise a costum canon, we can really grab the attention of some role-players.

Yes, having a generic canon will attract more players however we will be getting thousands of H/N/W/R/B/SM/F-Es and only few good role-players.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Next topic,

I have a different idea on how we should treat Fallout Role-play that I think would please all. Imagine the fallout DLC Honest Hearts.

the admins (or a group of players) gather up and write up an event. Then they post the event details and the date and time it will start. Then the players hop on and the admin team will act as Dungeon Masters. This way we can have bounty hunters, ninjas, robots, half deathclaw half human and no one has to sit around hours on end drooling crying in the admin chat, nothing is happening!!!!

Tl;DR fuck nut?: Fallout role-play is only for events.

Just an idea.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[flash=500,30]http://www.youtube.com/v/9UousVNJaIM[/flash]

lolKieck

Quote from: meetdadoom on 23-02-2012
The admins (or a group of players) gather up and write up an event. Then they post the event details and the date and time it will start. Then the players hop on and the admin team will act as Dungeon Masters. This way we can have bounty hunters, ninjas, robots, half deathclaw half human and no one has to sit around hours on end drooling crying in the admin chat, nothing is happening!!!!

Tl;DR fuck nut?: Fallout role-play is only for events.
No room for character development making good RPers leave and Fallout RP will have only the bad ones.
░░░░░░░▐▄▀▒▒▀▀▀▀▄▄▄▀▒▒▒▒▒▐
░░░░░▄▄▀▒░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒█▒▒▄█▒▐
░░░▄▀▒▒▒░░░▒▒▒░░░▒▒▒▀██▀▒▌
░░▐▒▒▒▄▄▒▒▒▒░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▀▄▒▒
░░▌░░▌█▀▒▒▒▒▒▄▀█▄▒▒▒▒▒▒▒█▒
░▐░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▌██▀▒▒░░░▒▒▒▀ ▌
░▌░▒▄██▄▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░░░░░░▒▒▒ ▌
▀▒▀▐▄█▄█▌▄░▀▒▒░░░░░░░░░░▒▒ ▐
▐▒▒▐▀▐▀▒░▄▄▒▄▒▒▒▒▒▒░▒░▒░▒▒ ▒▌
▐▒▒▒▀▀▄▄▒▒▒▄▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░▒░▒░▒ ▐
░▌▒▒▒▒▒▒▀▀▀▒▒▒▒▒▒░▒░▒░▒░▒▒ ▌
░▐▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░▒░▒░▒▒▄▒▒