Ok, now that we know we're Fallout 2, time to discuss location and time.

Started by Spades_Neil, 21-02-2012

Das_Uberman

Quote from: lolKieck on 23-02-2012
Quote from: meetdadoom on 23-02-2012
The admins (or a group of players) gather up and write up an event. Then they post the event details and the date and time it will start. Then the players hop on and the admin team will act as Dungeon Masters. This way we can have bounty hunters, ninjas, robots, half deathclaw half human and no one has to sit around hours on end drooling crying in the admin chat, nothing is happening!!!!

Tl;DR fuck nut?: Fallout role-play is only for events.
No room for character development making good RPers leave and Fallout RP will have only the bad ones.

Spades_Neil

Posting for a quote pyramid... Also this is an accurate response and I can't put it any better. We tried this. Terrible idea.

Quote from: Das_Uberman on 24-02-2012
The admins (or a group of players) gather up and write up an event. Then they post the event details and the date and time it will start. Then the players hop on and the admin team will act as Dungeon Masters. This way we can have bounty hunters, ninjas, robots, half deathclaw half human and no one has to sit around hours on end drooling crying in the admin chat, nothing is happening!!!!

No room for character development making good RPers leave and Fallout RP will have only the bad ones.

Paintcheck

Quote from: Spades_Neil on 24-02-2012
Posting for a quote pyramid... Also this is an accurate response and I can't put it any better. We tried this. Terrible idea.

Quote from: Das_Uberman on 24-02-2012

Event-only servers are terrible. When I RP I want to develop a character more than I want to play events since I can do "events" in NV/FO3/FO2 (all of which I own). I can't develop a character in those beyond the RPG stats.

meetdadoom

Are you not going to address my first point spades?

[flash=500,30]http://www.youtube.com/v/9UousVNJaIM[/flash]

Spades_Neil

meetdadoom

Quote from: Spades_Neil on 24-02-2012
Quote from: meetdadoom on 24-02-2012
Are you not going to address my first point spades?

Nah. No Canada.

THAT ISN'T MY POINT

/rage quit

Ragolution

Fallout in Ukraine? Now I've seen everything.

No wait.

This is exactly the same.

Spades_Neil

Quote from: Ragolution on 25-02-2012
Fallout in Ukraine? Now I've seen everything.

No wait.

This is exactly the same.

Yes, with mutants and Chernobyl and artifa--wait.

Paintcheck

There are mutants in FO.

Just no artifacts. Or people saying Get out, STALKER with Russian accents.

lolKieck

We can also use Russia as a location. Wait. Artyom?
░░░░░░░▐▄▀▒▒▀▀▀▀▄▄▄▀▒▒▒▒▒▐
░░░░░▄▄▀▒░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒█▒▒▄█▒▐
░░░▄▀▒▒▒░░░▒▒▒░░░▒▒▒▀██▀▒▌
░░▐▒▒▒▄▄▒▒▒▒░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▀▄▒▒
░░▌░░▌█▀▒▒▒▒▒▄▀█▄▒▒▒▒▒▒▒█▒
░▐░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▌██▀▒▒░░░▒▒▒▀ ▌
░▌░▒▄██▄▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░░░░░░▒▒▒ ▌
▀▒▀▐▄█▄█▌▄░▀▒▒░░░░░░░░░░▒▒ ▐
▐▒▒▐▀▐▀▒░▄▄▒▄▒▒▒▒▒▒░▒░▒░▒▒ ▒▌
▐▒▒▒▀▀▄▄▒▒▒▄▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░▒░▒░▒ ▐
░▌▒▒▒▒▒▒▀▀▀▒▒▒▒▒▒░▒░▒░▒░▒▒ ▌
░▐▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░▒░▒░▒▒▄▒▒
░░▀▄▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░▒░▒░▒▄▒▒▒▒

nKe

Snazzy

Georgia? Arizona? Idaho(Spelled wrongI know it D:)? New York? San Francisco? Just some ideas.
I had my second chance and I selfishly blew it for petty revenge on people who didn't even deserve it. I abused Exile's trust in me and now I'm banned forever. :(

Ragolution

Quote from: Nik3 on 26-02-2012
North Korea, anyone?

I'd say stay fucking American.

Nuka-cola and shit wouldn't leave America's shores.

Snazzy

Quote from: Ragolution on 26-02-2012
Quote from: Nik3 on 26-02-2012
North Korea, anyone?

I'd say stay fucking American.

Nuka-cola and shit wouldn't leave America's shores.

Everything but the Chinese AR and if we have it, Chinese suits. EVERYTHING. From the nuka-cola down to the t51-b power armor :L.
I had my second chance and I selfishly blew it for petty revenge on people who didn't even deserve it. I abused Exile's trust in me and now I'm banned forever. :(

INA7HAN

SRP: Nicolai 'Thunder' Lagunov - Loner - Alive

Spades_Neil

Now you're just being jackasses. Next person to post about moving Fallout to another country is getting a forum strike for trolling.

Fallout doesn't take place anywhere beside the United States. End of story.

StickyWicket

I'd like to just see a fallout canon that doesn't take place in Nevada or D.C. Somewhere where we can still be in contact with the other canonical cities (New Reno, San Francisco, Boneyard, Redding, etc.) but at the same time still be remote. And I am sorry to break it to you Spades, but in Fallout 2, the BoS isn't anything NEAR having a large influence in California or Nevada. The only areas that they would have a large presence in would be the areas surrounding the Lost Hills bunker. But than again, if that were to be the location of our canon, than they would be able to not only wipe out any and all Enclave there, but also any bits of NCR.

But, what we can do is make the setting be south west of Navarro, this would allow both tiny amounts of enclave and tiny amounts of BoS. This also makes it so most RP would be centered around surviving as a wastelander and doing work around the main town, while still having other minor factions (Enclave, BoS, Vault 10).

meetdadoom

* meetdadoom breathes in heavily. Exhales.

Let me try one more time. Spades, i did not mean that we SHOULD take place in Canada, or any other place out of the US in fact. I am just saying we should be in a location where there is little to none lore written about place X. This way we can write up different lore and

we will stand out from the other 1000s fall out roleplays and we can weed out the shit heads who want to run around as bounty hunter/ninja/whore/robot/bisexual/Shemales/ freak-expieraments and attract some of the good role players.

Also Silver kept rambling on about how the reason why the server isn't populated is because we don't advertise enough. If we advertise a costum canon, we can really grab the attention of some role-players.

Yes, having a generic canon will attract more players however we will be getting thousands of H/N/W/R/B/SM/F-Es and only few good role-players.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Spades_Neil

Quote from: meetdadoom on 26-02-2012
* meetdadoom breathes in heavily. Exhales.

Let me try one more time. Spades, i did not mean that we SHOULD take place in Canada, or any other place out of the US in fact. I am just saying we should be in a location where there is little to none lore written about place X. This way we can write up different lore and

we will stand out from the other 1000s fall out roleplays and we can weed out the shit heads who want to run around as bounty hunter/ninja/whore/robot/bisexual/Shemales/ freak-expieraments and attract some of the good role players.

Also Silver kept rambling on about how the reason why the server isn't populated is because we don't advertise enough. If we advertise a costum canon, we can really grab the attention of some role-players.

Yes, having a generic canon will attract more players however we will be getting thousands of H/N/W/R/B/SM/F-Es and only few good role-players.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Remember Fallout: New England? Remember how much people loved it?
... Yea, me neither.

We won't stand out as much as you think we will. The fact of the matter is we just won't. Unique doesn't mean better. That's one lesson I learned as a "young promising admin" that just because an idea is unique and stands out doesn't make it a good idea.

Quote from: StickyWicket on 26-02-2012
I'd like to just see a fallout canon that doesn't take place in Nevada or D.C. Somewhere where we can still be in contact with the other canonical cities (New Reno, San Francisco, Boneyard, Redding, etc.) but at the same time still be remote. And I am sorry to break it to you Spades, but in Fallout 2, the BoS isn't anything NEAR having a large influence in California or Nevada. The only areas that they would have a large presence in would be the areas surrounding the Lost Hills bunker. But than again, if that were to be the location of our canon, than they would be able to not only wipe out any and all Enclave there, but also any bits of NCR.

But, what we can do is make the setting be south west of Navarro, this would allow both tiny amounts of enclave and tiny amounts of BoS. This also makes it so most RP would be centered around surviving as a wastelander and doing work around the main town, while still having other minor factions (Enclave, BoS, Vault 10).

The point of the location I've chosen so far (see the info thread) is none of the factions have a huge influence and the location its self is close enough to what people are used to in Fallout, but still something open-ended enough we can roleplay in. The reason Fallout: New England fell flat on its face is it didn't feel like Fallout. Fallout: Canada would fall flat on its face in the same way. Fallout: Mexico would crash too. Fallout: Bluegrass Wasteland however worked to an extent back in our old canon because it felt like Fallout. The problem there however was all the players were SRP players and not Fallout players.

What happened last time we rebooted the server in Step Jaw and the reason it worked was because:
1. It felt like Fallout.
2. It was well known. (Fallout 3)
3. The admins were active.
4. The admins had a plan and worked cooperatively.

Here's why it failed:
1. It was too well known. Fallout 3 attracted shit roleplayer DarkRP children who proceeded to make my job a nightmare and drive off decent RPers.
2. Admins became less active and we didn't have enough to fall back on who were competent enough to handle it. (I want to avoid mass-recruiting admins like SRP.)
3. The economy was hyper-stimulated from lack of T-menu destroying caps, and apparently the paycheck timer was set WAAAAYYY too short which I discovered last weekend when someone pointed it out, so people could afford to buy Power Armor and Ranger Armor up the ass, which further ruined the immersion.
4. Step Jaw Valley company died, which was otherwise the only method for people to buy stuff while removing caps from the economy. Ruined it.
5. The new weapons were good, but the starter gun being broken is a really bad first impression for new players.
6. Doesn't help that everyone who played super mutants were so friendly. We lacked rules on mutants, so they also ruined the mood.
7. Factions were crappy. Disney evil verses Disney heroes with the Outcasts meanwhile ass-recruiting anything that moves so they could win the game.
8. When I stomped on the Outcasts for doing that and went, "LOL NO" the Outcasts all quit because they had no other characters to play.
9. A certain incident with Enclave OOCly upset a lot of Enclave players as well as their victims, and they all quit which put the final nail in the coffin of the Step Jaw Valley.

Here's why people argue this new canon will work:
1. Quality will lead to quantity of roleplayers.
2. Admins get along, and we're trying to recruit others who get along well.
3. Factions behavior is more open to character development. This includes the Enclave, which is a feature we've failed to correct since after the Bluegrass Wasteland.
4. Mutants, Raiders, and Bandits will have rules and guidelines to correct breaking the immersion.
5. Traders reintroduced and properly regulated.
6. Feels like Fallout should feel.

Though south-west of Navarro might not be a bad spot if what you say is accurate. I just want to avoid featuring any canon locations, because if they are canon locations, we must strictly follow the canon of what happened there which leaves zero wiggle room for roleplaying. That's why we chose the Step Jaw Valley, formerly Boston, formerly the Bluegrass Wasteland in the past.

Right now I'm planning on using the Amargosa Valley which is in Nevada, about ten miles from the California border. However, while I've already begin writing the backstory, this thread isn't locked because I'm still open to suggestions. Navarro might be one such suggestion. My only gripe with it is it lacks the NCR and the roleplay will focus entirely around the factions alone. The NCR is there more for the wastelanders, to keep the town active with good roleplayers and keep it defended.

I should also mention that without that "third faction" to throw off the balance or control a town, the roleplay server turns into a game of Red Vs. Blue with only two factions doing battle. That's boring. It bored everyone, myself included, in the New England canon.

irondeity

Here's why it failed:
1. It was too well known. Fallout 3 attracted shit roleplayer DarkRP children who proceeded to make my job a nightmare and drive off decent RPers.
2. Admins became less active and we didn't have enough to fall back on who were competent enough to handle it. (I want to avoid mass-recruiting admins like SRP.)
3. The economy was hyper-stimulated from lack of T-menu destroying caps, and apparently the paycheck timer was set WAAAAYYY too short which I discovered last weekend when someone pointed it out, so people could afford to buy Power Armor and Ranger Armor up the ass, which further ruined the immersion.
4. Step Jaw Valley company died, which was otherwise the only method for people to buy stuff while removing caps from the economy. Ruined it.
5. The new weapons were good, but the starter gun being broken is a really bad first impression for new players.
6. Doesn't help that everyone who played super mutants were so friendly. We lacked rules on mutants, so they also ruined the mood.
7. Factions were crappy. Disney evil verses Disney heroes with the Outcasts meanwhile ass-recruiting anything that moves so they could win the game.
8. When I stomped on the Outcasts for doing that and went, "LOL NO" the Outcasts all quit because they had no other characters to play.
9. A certain incident with Enclave OOCly upset a lot of Enclave players as well as their victims, and they all quit which put the final nail in the coffin of the Step Jaw Valley.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The above are the points given in Spades last post. I'll go through them in a number to number comparison, in order.

1) You attract DarkRP players then you have two options: Deal them a heavy hand quickly and effectively if you're lazy. Or, try and make them learn.

2) Admin activity is up to a server supervisor to regulate. As for the ( ) note, thats ignorant as hell and disrespectful to Silver's choice in appointing Admins as well as the SRP team. Dont ever make a habit to say it again. Period.

3) The paycheck system is rather rocky and always has been for both servers. Luckily the SRP one has leveled out, somewhat. I'd need to see the Fallout trader menu as a whole to piece an equation together to even it out.

4) If Step Jaw was that important, then it should have been revived or another 'company' should have been formed to take the reigns. Even if it required someone to work it solo.

5) People shouldnt care if the weapon fires for effect, or blasts confetti and cornflakes. The servers are RP servers. If the weapons dont work, who gives a good damn, do what youre here for, RP. Weapons are always secondary.

6) ThY could be a good man to look to for help regarding rules for this. He's kept the bloodsuckers, controllers, and whatnot running just fine since he was given Mutant command in SRP.

7) Outcasts, BoS, Enclave: Minor factions if thats the case. You also had a poor choice of a leader for the Outcasts last time I was on the server, and you see now the damage it caused.

8.) Happened on SRP also.

9) Paint or Rebel are your top options for running Enclave as a whole. Paint and Rebel both have the experience of faction leadership. Paints the former launch leader of Enclave and Rebel spearheaded the SRP Military into success for his run.

These are more of a slight kick in the ass rather than straight up points. This server needs to really get the noose away from its neck, or its going to hang high and hail to the sky.
Unaffiliated: Mikhal 'Sabre' Tokerov -:- Alive
Ex-Military/Spetsnaz: Andrei 'War' Mirkov -:- Alive
Military Observer: Victor Tokerov -:- Alive
Unaffiliated: 'Siege' -:- Deceased
Leoyid 'Rat Tail' Olinsky -:- Alive
The Tar Man -:- No Data

Spades_Neil

All good points.

1. I was so ban-happy, Khorn thought I was going to ban our entire playerbase, lol. This is an issue I need to work out on my own. Less bans, more patience to teach the players who are willing to learn... then ban the dopes who don't.
2. We just didn't have enough folks in the end. Doomburger quit, Blake was busy, Khorn's computer was broken, Ecco and I are in college and Mr. Pink has his own stuff keeping him busy. Provided, life gets in the way of all admins, but we still should make time. Plus I'd like to find other admins who'd get along well with the rest of us. The more the merrier so long as we all cooperate. FRP did fantastically until we had our issues between factions resulting in squabbling.
3. Yea. I'll invite you to FRP and see if you wanna help us out with that. Ideally I want to re-work the T-menu as a whole.
4. We failed to do that. When we thought of it, it was too late.
5. Touché.
6. Same I thought. Already requesting his assistance.
7. Yep.
8. Also yep. Lol.
9. Hence why they are my top choices. I only hesitate on Paintcheck since he's SA in Crussaria already if I'm not mistaken, while Rebel is free.

Ragolution

Paintcheck

Rebel's already running Enclave. Crussaria is so dead right now it doesn't matter that I have admin on it but the leadership of that faction should go to someone who played on FO more recently. I wouldn't want to take a position from someone who earned it though I appreciate the consideration.

As for "Teaching players who are willing to learn" that is difficult since a lot of them never learn (see the Black Hand morons from the Crussaria server). It can be very destructive to keep shit players around in the interest of trying to teach them as the Black Hand was pretty much responsible for Crussaria's death.

Spades_Neil

Very funny edit Tom. :P Though you're right.

Anyway the thread is already locked. See the info thread for our current location now. If anyone else wants to discuss it further, or wants to suggest another location (a serious one), private message or SF me with your reasons.