Mr. Pink's FRP Map Developement thread

Started by Mr. Pink, 31-08-2011

Mr. Pink

Quote from: Plunger on 03-09-2011
Quote from: Mr. Pink on 03-09-2011
Plunger, Jake. Back up your comments with reasoning. Saying "herp derp this map won't work" and then leaving doesn't do anything other than piss people off. If you've actually got some legitimate criticism with some good reasoning behind it, by all means, say it. That's how things get improved and problems get worked out. But what you're doing right now is what most people call trolling.
I gave you reasons.

1.) You haven't mapped before.

2.) I don't see any plans, or layouts etc.

3.) Redemption was made for a reason the way it is.

As Spades said, "You gotta start somewhere." There are no plans or layouts because It's being designed on the fly. That's not to say it isn't being planned out, it is, just in text form. And as for the lack of mapping experience, I have not mapped in Hammer before, however, I already have gotten the hang of it. The only thing that keeps presenting a problem for me is the compiling aspect.
I wish for a pinball machine full of Cannabis.

Mr. Pink

Update 4:

Alright, after taking a spin through srp_redemption and rp_apocalypse, taking care to note down the various techniques used to accomplish the landscaping and texturing, I tried my hand at tunnelling and landscape layering to achieve desired looks, functions, etc. In my opinion my practice session was quite helpful and I learned several ways to accomplish the various tasks presented when landscaping the map. The success from the practice also set me in the right mood to continue the work on the fresh start. I'm feeling more enthusiastic about this now.

And instead of shooting me down, here's an idea, those of you with mapping experience already, who don't you give me helpful hints, suggestions, etc? That way everyone would benefit, and we may actually end up with a decent map...

Steven :D

Update 4:

Alright, after taking a spin through srp_redemption and rp_apocalypse, taking care to note down the various techniques used to accomplish the landscaping and texturing, I tried my hand at tunnelling and landscape layering to achieve desired looks, functions, etc. In my opinion my practice session was quite helpful and I learned several ways to accomplish the various tasks presented when landscaping the map. The success from the practice also set me in the right mood to continue the work on the fresh start. I'm feeling more enthusiastic about this now.

And instead of shooting me down, here's an idea, those of you with mapping experience already, who don't you give me helpful hints, suggestions, etc? That way everyone would benefit, and we may actually end up with a decent map...

Custom textures and a day/night/midday version with different skyboxes would be nice?

Mr. Pink

Quote from: Steven :D on 04-09-2011
Update 4:

Custom textures and a day/night/midday version with different skyboxes would be nice?

Well, Steven, if I had the slightests idea how to go about doing that I would, but as things stand I'm going to have a hard enough time getting a basic day map to work.

mxh24

Not to suddenly nudge my ass in here, but from my point of view it seems you are rushing it... take you're time, as jakob said it should look good, as well as function good. Worry about one section at a time. This could potentially be an outstanding map, or it can be another shitty ass map. You are also new so I would not expect this to be released anytime soon. (Maybe you can get another mapper to help?)

"When in doubt, mumble."

Wolfinton

Quote from: Mr. Pink on 04-09-2011
Update 4:

Well, Steven, if I had the slightests idea how to go about doing that I would, but as things stand I'm going to have a hard enough time getting a basic day map to work.

I'm no mapper but I'm pretty sure you'd just change the skybox and then change the lightning of the main map. Afterwards you'd have to add in some lights coming from fires, candles, lamps and other light sources. Just make sure to add those things in the day version too just without the lights.
Pink doesn't make me gay, it makes you homophobic.

Mr. Pink

Quote from: Wolfinton on 05-09-2011
Quote from: Mr. Pink on 04-09-2011
Update 4:

I'm no mapper but I'm pretty sure you'd just change the skybox and then change the lightning of the main map. Afterwards you'd have to add in some lights coming from fires, candles, lamps and other light sources. Just make sure to add those things in the day version too just without the lights.

Alright... Well, as I said the day map is gonna take awhile to get done. When it's done maybe I'll consider making a night one...