Impending Server Wipe

Started by Spades_Neil, 30-01-2012

Spades_Neil

We're gonna try this one more time. I'll do a simple vote. Chances are we're going to wipe the server one more time. Blake and I goofed with the economy when Step Jaw Trading Company fell apart ICly, but we didn't enact T-menus, so everyone just got bazillions of caps until they could buy all kinds of OP'd shit without caps being destroyed. Thus we had hyper inflation and everything sucked. Plus we had some issues with mutants acting silly and friendly so we'll have rules for mutants plus donator flag issues that caused me (personally) to screw up the economy by giving free items to donors as I saw fit to compensate for lack of starting gear. Other than that we did pretty damn good, though. We'll also have better rules and guidelines for raiders and bandits in addition to robots and mutants to keep things a bit more exciting.

We might get rid of Outcasts since they don't do anything all that useful, sorry to say. I'd like to keep the Outcasts, but until we have a map that actually has enough bases for everyone and/or we have a good reason to have Outcasts, we'll just try to keep the factions BoS and Enclave.

So yea. The admins and I have been discussing one last wipe to see if we can fix things. Wipe the factions, wipe the characters, and give it one more shot. Now we know what works and what doesn't work. We had great success the first time around with 20+ players daily, rivaling SRP and CRP all day long for a good couple of months until we started having these economic problems. I'm highly confident we can do it again.

There will be no canon changes. Just a server wipe.

EDIT: For the record, a wipe does not mean you have to make a new character. Pick up where you left off. This is purely an OOC wipe. Your characters still exist, you'll just have to remake their avatars with reset gear.

Paintcheck

Quote from: Spades_Neil on 30-01-2012

Fucking shit. Way to ruin a good opportunity. Was going to vote "yeah wipe it" until I saw that. Does the Gmod world really need ANOTHER FO3 or NV canon server in it? Do something interesting for once.

Madcombat

Quote from: Paintcheck on 30-01-2012
Quote from: Spades_Neil on 30-01-2012

Fucking shit. Way to ruin a good opportunity. Was going to vote "yeah wipe it" until I saw that. Does the Gmod world really need ANOTHER FO3 or NV canon server in it? Do something interesting for once.

I voted wipe, however I agree with Paintcheck.  Lets get somthing a bit diffrent to Fallout cannon as well.

StickyWicket

I'm gonna have to agree with Paintcheck on this once. A more interesting canon like Fallout 1 or 2 would be very beneficial to the server. And before anyone throws feces in my direction for saying this: original Fallout canon isn't that hard to learn! And if a roleplayer gets stuck on something that wasn't stated in the canon thread, than it's just as easy as searching that thing up on the wiki.

Tom

Canon change = Very desirable, unless you change it to be more generic.

Otherwise there wouldn't be a point in wiping it, now would there?
Quote from: TheAndyShandy on 05-12-2013
Oh boy.
Strap yourselves in, it's time for the great 'obligatory' SRP resurrection of 2013/14/15/16/22

Pink!

... Fallout canon would be amazing.

For various reasons, I'm not at HGN much any more.
I'll see you all around, though, some time...

Silver Knight

Changing back to fallout 1/2 is will lead to the same thing, less players, the majority of people have only ever played fallout 3\new vegas and they are not interested in fallout 1/2 as proven the first time we restarted fallout.

Quotebreslau: if i cant cheat i dont wanna play
breslau: period

Madcombat

Quote from: Last.Exile on 31-01-2012
Changing back to fallout 1/2 is will lead to the same thing, less players, the majority of people have only ever played fallout 3\new vegas and they are not interested in fallout 1/2 as proven the first time we restarted fallout.

People are requesting it so far, so...

Spades_Neil

Quote from: Tom on 31-01-2012
Canon change = Very desirable, unless you change it to be more generic.

Otherwise there wouldn't be a point in wiping it, now would there?

Quote from: Tom on 25-11-2011
Stop changing location and canon every few months or so (or everytime a new person takes SV). As we can see it didn't help much the LAST 2 or 3 times we changed either canon or location. Find a spot and a time we like and stick to it for longer than a few months.

There's just no satisfying you people, is there?

This. A thousand times this.

Quote from: Madcombat on 31-01-2012

People are requesting it so far, so...

Yes. People. Like, a handful of people that will never play on the server no matter what canon changes we make to it. We've already proven this will not work, therefore we're not even going to consider a canon change back to Fallout 1/2 lore. Again. Server was dead for entire time we had it 1/2 lore save for pre-firestorm, and pre-firestorm it was a new server and all we had were mostly players borrowed from SRP. Likewise, Crussaria is mostly players who either are currently or formerly players of SRP/FRP because it's something new and interesting.

History shows it won't work. So we won't even try it. I'd sooner move to New Vegas canon than back to 1/2, and I thought not changing the canon was what you people wanted.

Madcombat

Toche Spades... Toche...

Well, lets just fix this Economy mmk?

Spades_Neil

Quote from: Madcombat on 31-01-2012
Toche Spades... Toche...

Well, lets just fix this Economy mmk?

Thanks.

Don't get me wrong, I don't really care what canon we play. However there's a dramatically smaller audience for Fallout 1/2, and all of the players who enter otherwise automatically assumed it's Fallout 3/NV and there's constant whining about what is and isn't canon that I have neither the knowledge nor the patience to deal with. I can check the wiki a thousand times and they'll still tell me I'm wrong.

I'm sticking with what we've been successful with. Fallout 3-type lore has been highly successful with over 20 players daily until hyper inflation ruined the economy and the challenge of playing because everyone had a bazillion caps despite only earning 5 caps per paycheck, plus several other issues which are drastically easier to just wipe out and start over than it is to spend the next several months failing at fixing it.

Anyway I'm rambling again. Continue with the vote. I'm seeing some votes against, but I want to know why.

Tom

I suppose you are right spades. Either way I'm going to be the guy with a gun and a car. Or I'll just be inactive. Tl;dr I don't care
Quote from: TheAndyShandy on 05-12-2013
Oh boy.
Strap yourselves in, it's time for the great 'obligatory' SRP resurrection of 2013/14/15/16/22

Spades_Neil

Quote from: Tom on 31-01-2012
I suppose you are right spades. Either way I'm going to be the guy with a gun and a car. Or I'll just be inactive. Tl;dr I don't care

You have my auth to have exactly one car. ಠ_ಠ Then again you are CSV. Your activity depends on where you're needed / wherever the hell you feel like being at the time. No worries.

Ravanger

To be honest Spades, all you guys really need to do is be active, I mean fallout was empty for about 3 weeks 0/45.

Das_Uberman

I don't like the idea of a wipe, mostly because I my characters were pretty far down their development paths, but if wee need a wipe, fine.

Spades_Neil

Quote from: Das_Uberman on 31-01-2012
I don't like the idea of a wipe, mostly because I my characters were pretty far down their development paths, but if wee need a wipe, fine.

Wipe =/= destroying your characters.
Wipe = deleting your character avatars.

Your characters and their backstories still exist, you just lose your items.

Das_Uberman

Quote from: Spades_Neil on 31-01-2012
Quote from: Das_Uberman on 31-01-2012

Wipe =/= destroying your characters.
Wipe = deleting your character avatars.

Your characters and their backstories still exist, you just lose your items.
Good, glad that got cleared up.

Mr. Pink

Rav is right, we just need to be active.
I wish for a pinball machine full of Cannabis.

Ravanger

Quote from: Mr. Pink on 31-01-2012

I believe that is the only main issue here is that you guys aren't on enough so inturn no one else plays, I mean most people see  a server with no one on they won't join.

As well with you admins getting on a bit more people are gonna start playing again as before. I noticed no one played since only really a few of you got on then none got on for awhile.

Wipeing the server is good if the economy you feel is truely unstable and server been up for like a year or so( Its been up for awhile and economy has been in use for awhile.). I mean the wipe could help a bit but I mean it won't matter if none of you are playing, just ensure that someone is playing on the server and its being used actively. I mean even on Crussaria we generally have a good activity rate, once admin might go inactive then another admin would get on and play and it almost seemed to transition that way. Well for you guys went all inactive almost at the same time and only a few were on at the time so no one really played. I am counting some players also that might of been gone that commonly play but usally if a few active and eventful admins on stuff will usally kick back up. Since afterall I brought up Crussaria from the ashes with the help of my fellow admins and others, I hit a lot of rough spots and major issues but you can always solve through it.

Just get active when you can or ensure someone is active enough to keep the server going. So if you do wipe it just ensure your gonna be active and keep the server going otherwise we are gonna see another death of FoRP.

Spades_Neil

Split topic to remove the complaining/trolling/pessimistic whining from people who don't matter because they never visit the server and never will no matter what we do for it to improve it.

Quote from: Ravanger on 31-01-2012
Quote from: Mr. Pink on 31-01-2012

I believe that is the only main issue here is that you guys aren't on enough so inturn no one else plays, I mean most people see  a server with no one on they won't join.

As well with you admins getting on a bit more people are gonna start playing again as before. I noticed no one played since only really a few of you got on then none got on for awhile.

Wipeing the server is good if the economy you feel is truely unstable and server been up for like a year or so( Its been up for awhile and economy has been in use for awhile.). I mean the wipe could help a bit but I mean it won't matter if none of you are playing, just ensure that someone is playing on the server and its being used actively. I mean even on Crussaria we generally have a good activity rate, once admin might go inactive then another admin would get on and play and it almost seemed to transition that way. Well for you guys went all inactive almost at the same time and only a few were on at the time so no one really played. I am counting some players also that might of been gone that commonly play but usally if a few active and eventful admins on stuff will usally kick back up. Since afterall I brought up Crussaria from the ashes with the help of my fellow admins and others, I hit a lot of rough spots and major issues but you can always solve through it.

Just get active when you can or ensure someone is active enough to keep the server going. So if you do wipe it just ensure your gonna be active and keep the server going otherwise we are gonna see another death of FoRP.

This point on the other hand is valid.

Paintcheck

Your constant selective acceptance of what classifies as "Constructive Criticism" is exceedingly annoying. Has it occurred to you that a lot of us don't play because of this?

I was a faction head and admin on FO when it first came out. Then Silver fucked it to death and you and Blake made it worse. But if you don't want to even try to fix the shittiness then yeah, I'm not going to try it again. If I wasn't "ever going to play ever" then I wouldn't bother posting.

Blake.H

This is a serious thread, i removed some irrelevant shit that had no meaning or relevance to the topic.

ref_DevCon.smd: david star is the only heir of the ecologist throne
ref_DevCon.smd: house of blake
"Any of you fucking pricks move, and I'll execute every motherfucking last one of ya!"

Khorn

I see my post was removed without a proper reason. I stand by what I said to those that read it.

A server wipe will not save FRP.

And to save space, Spades is now the only SV, so he has full control of the server and forum.
Good luck.

Spades_Neil

Quote from: Paintcheck on 01-02-2012
Your constant selective acceptance of what classifies as "Constructive Criticism" is exceedingly annoying. Has it occurred to you that a lot of us don't play because of this?

Has it occurred to you that "Constructive Criticism" is classified as improving the subject at hand? Not saying, "Well fuck all let's just get rid of it." Instead of fixing it, you just want to give up. So you're not giving any critique at all. You're just whining. Not once have you even made an effort to improve anything. All you do is bitch. Therefore, your argument is invalid.

I don't care if I'm being told I'm doing something poorly. However, I do not accept points that tell me to flat out give up.

Quote from: Paintcheck on 01-02-2012
I was a faction head and admin on FO when it first came out. Then Silver fucked it to death and you and Blake made it worse. But if you don't want to even try to fix the shittiness then yeah, I'm not going to try it again. If I wasn't "ever going to play ever" then I wouldn't bother posting.

Well you sure did a brilliant job of fixing the shittiness now didn't you? Server was dead for, how long? Remind me.

If you have something useful to say, say it. Otherwise go back to Crussaria. I hear you're doing just as well there too.

Quote from: Khorn on 01-02-2012
I see my post was removed without a proper reason. I stand by what I said to those that read it.

Sorry, I just deleted everything related to Paintcheck's post. You can repost whatever it was.

Knife_cz

As there is alot of Fallout roleplay servers, and HGN one does not seem to be anyhow succesfull lately, I suggest to simply delete this or perhaps remove the Roleplay idea, and ask Silveran and his GMOD aftermath if he could "give" his gamemode to us.

And no, wipe wont help ANYHOW this server, it needs activity and attention.