Here we go again. (The re-death of FORP)

Started by Mr. Pink, 05-08-2011

Mr. Pink

Alright guys, as you've all probably noticed, FORP seems to be dying again... Why? Who knows... I personally blame it on the lack of activity. It seems to me that people are logging on only to find the server abandoned. The way to fix this is simply to stay on a little longer in the hopes of someone else logging on. And if you see only 2 or 3 people on, join anyways. The more people get on initially, the more will be drawn to it later. Humans are social creatures and generally are attracted to large groups. Anyways, I feel this is only a short-term fix, the server needs to get something to start drawing people away from STALKER, something that sets it above... That's what this thread is for, to brainstorm ideas to save FORP.

My first idea is to start spreading the word outside of HGN and helping those who are interested getting signed up and given all the necessary files and whatnot. Invite your friends! That's all I got for now as it is 2:20, so say your ideas. I'll be back later to check in on things and to help potentially good ideas get going.

~ Mr. Pink
I wish for a pinball machine full of Cannabis.

Spades_Neil

Before we get too overly dramatic about it (and by 'we' I mostly mean 'me' because I'm like that >_>). Hell, I'm already inviting people to reboot the server for the day and un-killing the server. Still, I must detail the following statement;

There is one, very simple, easily fixable problem that is out of my control to repair.

I saw this coming long before it happened. Soon as the older players started returning who helped fuck it up in the first place, the problems started again. Now that isn't to say all of the old players are a problem. However, when you have a character who is a bandit/robber/whatever, you tend to ruin roleplay for everyone else because you're too interested in getting items to roleplay. It needs to stop.

Unless Last.Exile himself decides to kick a particular handful of people out of HGN, there's nothing I can do. The people I speak of are tolerated far too well in this community.

We can revive the server after a small dry spell like this, but we'll keep flip-flopping between Stalker and FORP if we don't fix the core problems. In each flip flop, we'll lose players faster than we can gain them, and eventually HGN will die. I've seen it happen before, but this is the first time I've been able to try and do something to stop it. Thus, I shall.

jaik

Blake.H: And im also working on whipping him into shape
Blake.H: He's nice
Blake.H: He doesn't moan
Blake.H: The sheer obedience is enough to fuel my erection anyway

TrevorWest

forp is dying because the almighty hazard has been absent

don't worry little forp, i'll soon hold you back with mediocre roleplay and 24/7 cussing once more
Characters

Fallout roleplay
Name: Trevor West

Name: Pvt. Richard McKay

Khorn

Spades, for the sake of others and such. Just post the people you are talking about.

Stop beating aroud the bush.

Also, last I checked, those I think your talking about haven't done anything bad, recently. Besides the fact some of our more new players have trouble following simple rules such as not abusing /charfallover or minge hopping.

Its a mix of both new and old. We need our admins to be fair when it comes to our rules. I've seen older players let off the hook that new players would get in deep shit for. And vice versa.

Also, end of summer is nearing. It means playerbase will lower.

Mr. Pink

I agree with Khorn, just say the people you have in mind. Also it saddens me to say it but yes the playerbase will drop due to the end of summer. I, for one, will not be impeded by this, however, gone will be the days of my late night FORP-sprees...

mxh24

"When in doubt, mumble."

Kassendraw

Well everytime I get on the server it's always just empty or there is like one person on and they generally disconnect quite quickly. I'm not sure why people aren't wanting to show up to the Fallout3 Role Play server but at this rate, well, there wouldn't be a reason for it to exist. :'(

Spades_Neil

Quote from: Kassendraw on 06-08-2011
Well everytime I get on the server it's always just empty or there is like one person on and they generally disconnect quite quickly. I'm not sure why people aren't wanting to show up to the Fallout3 Role Play server but at this rate, well, there wouldn't be a reason for it to exist. :'(

Things usually pick up around 8:00PM, EST.

Kassendraw

Ah yes I can see that now, thank you for informing me of that. Well, yeah there is a small (but at least some) population online now at, hm, 9am EST? Anyways, thanks for that tip, I'll keep it in mind.

Maxi96203

Tbh, I saw this coming from miles away, I'm sure all of you did too.

FORP can't set it's self about STALKER, it's impossible. FORP attracts more FailRPers and such sense FORP has been done so many times before. STALKER Rp, is our little gem. FORP is going to pick up again, then it's going to die again.

FORP has it's phases, it has sense it launched for the first time.
ASSHOLE DESCRIPTION FOR PREMIUM™ HGN™ SUBSCRIBERS™ ONLY

Mr. Pink

It's because Fallout is much more popular than stalker is as a game, therefore more people see "Fallout Roleplay Server" and go "Omg, fallout, holy shit!!!11!1". Since the base lore attracts more people it is bound to attract more bad RPers.

Zithra

I don't think it's dying again, it's just hitting a spot.
RIP FORP Characters
Andrew Erics  Wastelander
Evan Thornton  Brotherhood of Steel
Tyler Williams Trader

Caso

Quote from: Zithra on 06-08-2011
I don't think it's dying again, it's just hitting a spot.
I used to be an adventure like you, but then the shadow started chasing me through a castle filled with monsters.

Maxi96203

Quote from: Mr. Pink on 06-08-2011
It's because Fallout is much more popular than stalker is as a game, therefore more people see "Fallout Roleplay Server" and go "Omg, fallout, holy shit!!!11!1". Since the base lore attracts more people it is bound to attract more bad RPers.

By saying Fallout is more popular than STALKER you are wrong, my good sir. We may be very quiet to outsiders, but we are quite large in size.

Don't get me wrong now, I like fallout a lot. But I was a STALKER fan before I was a Fallout fan.

Mr. Pink

Quote from: Maxi96203 on 06-08-2011

By saying Fallout is more popular than STALKER you are wrong, my good sir. We may be very quiet to outsiders, but we are quite large in size.

Don't get me wrong now, I like fallout a lot. But I was a STALKER fan before I was a Fallout fan.

I believe Fallout has a much large fanbase than Stalker. Plus, Fallout's been out since the 90's, so by default it should have a larger fanbase. On top of that, the Fallout games are amazing, I know that's an opinion but I'm sure very few people would disagree with it. I'm not saying Stalker isn't good, I'm just saying Fallout has a larger fanbase. Maybe the Stalker rp is more popular than the Fallout one but the actual game series Fallout is more popular than Stalker...

And, don't get me wrong, I like Stalker alot, but I was a Fallout fan ages before Stalker even came out. I've been playing the fallout games since I was seven... And while Stalker is good, I still like Fallout better...

Maxi96203

Quote from: Maxi96203 on 06-08-2011

I believe Fallout has a much large fanbase than Stalker. Plus, Fallout's been out since the 90's, so by default it should have a larger fanbase. On top of that, the Fallout games are amazing, I know that's an opinion but I'm sure very few people would disagree with it. I'm not saying Stalker isn't good, I'm just saying Fallout has a larger fanbase. Maybe the Stalker rp is more popular than the Fallout one but the actual game series Fallout is more popular than Stalker...

And, don't get me wrong, I like Stalker alot, but I was a Fallout fan ages before Stalker even came out. I've been playing the fallout games since I was seven... And while Stalker is good, I still like Fallout better...

By saying "it's more popular because it's older" you only make yourself sound stupid. Indeed Fallout is amazing, but Fallout has flaws, many many flaws, as does STALKER. They're both as good as each other, and I couldn't say that any of them where better.

Back on topic.

Fallout RP needs straightened out, as everything is fucked up sense the shit storm, maybe then you'll attract more players, meanwhile STALKER RP is getting new players every week.

Khorn

FORP may never get into the Glory days. But with our current playerbase, we are stuck with, as I stated in TS, "Thats all they want, items and the abiltiy to be the Lone Wanderer".

People forget they are in a wasteland and life outside of a "safe" town is dangerous. And when I say "safe", I mean, less danger from mutants, same danger from people.

Mr. Pink

Quote from: Khorn on 06-08-2011
FORP may never get into the Glory days. But with our current playerbase, we are stuck with, as I stated in TS, "Thats all they want, items and the abiltiy to be the Lone Wanderer".

People forget they are in a wasteland and life outside of a "safe" town is dangerous. And when I say "safe", I mean, less danger from mutants, same danger from people.

It's the same way in Stalker. Honestly I'm not sure why Stalker gets more attention... The gameplay is about the same, only re-skinned to Stalker lore rather than Fallout. People are more worried about items in Stalker though than in Fallout, at least from what I've seen. I just don't know what FORP is missing...

Maxi96203

Quote from: Mr. Pink on 07-08-2011

It's the same way in Stalker. Honestly I'm not sure why Stalker gets more attention... The gameplay is about the same, only re-skinned to Stalker lore rather than Fallout. People are more worried about items in Stalker though than in Fallout, at least from what I've seen. I just don't know what FORP is missing...

STALKER gets more attention because STALKER is the most polished and the longest lasting RP HGN has had.

Also, by saying STALKER is a re-skinned fallout you must be pretty stupid. If you've ever played STALKER it's way different from Fallout.

Mr. Pink

Quote from: Maxi96203 on 07-08-2011

STALKER gets more attention because STALKER is the most polished and the longest lasting RP HGN has had.

Also, by saying STALKER is a re-skinned fallout you must be pretty stupid. If you've ever played STALKER it's way different from Fallout.

I've been talking about the RP versions, not the actual games... Of course the Fallout games and S.T.A.L.K.E.R. games are diiferent, wasn't saying they weren't.

Maxi96203

Quote from: Maxi96203 on 07-08-2011

I've been talking about the RP versions, not the actual games... Of course the Fallout games and S.T.A.L.K.E.R. games are diiferent, wasn't saying they weren't.

STALKER has been around longer than fallout, so it would be Fallout is re-skinned from STALKER, it has the same gameplay as STALKER.

Mr. Pink

Very well. Anyways, this thread is for potential solutions to revive, or save Fallout, as well as things to potentially make it stand out from Stalker. I believe what Khorn is doing right now with his raider RPing and events is a step in the right direction. We need more admin involvement and events to draw more new players in as well as keep them. I personally enjoy the combat events in particular. I'm more than willing to burn off some ammo in exchange for the roleplay scenarios the combat presents. The injuries after present a particularly rich area for roleplaying to occur, as well as the potential missing persons, deaths, broken weapons, etc. I'm hoping to improve the RP more if/when I get tooltrust. Storm's End needs a gate, after all...

Paintcheck

Quote from: Spades_Neil on 05-08-2011
Before we get too overly dramatic about it (and by 'we' I mostly mean 'me' because I'm like that >_>). Hell, I'm already inviting people to reboot the server for the day and un-killing the server. Still, I must detail the following statement;

There is one, very simple, easily fixable problem that is out of my control to repair.

I saw this coming long before it happened. Soon as the older players started returning who helped fuck it up in the first place, the problems started again. Now that isn't to say all of the old players are a problem. However, when you have a character who is a bandit/robber/whatever, you tend to ruin roleplay for everyone else because you're too interested in getting items to roleplay. It needs to stop.

Unless Last.Exile himself decides to kick a particular handful of people out of HGN, there's nothing I can do. The people I speak of are tolerated far too well in this community.

We all know you dislike Plunger. He's not why your server is failing. The only person on FORP who truly buttfucked the server the first time was CommanderA/Anton/RanmaChan and he rage quit eons ago. Plunger is a good scapegoat for everything because for some reason Silver constantly blames everything he possibly can on him but that's bullshit and everyone who isn't retarded (I realize that is only like 3 people on the FO side but...) knows that. Your issue is the same as it always has been: FORP's average player is a dumbass who thinks he's playing FO: NV and doesn't understand that RP is not entirely about items and winning (and it wasn't all that long ago that you were one of those people Spades). That has been FO's problem since Silver decided to remove the FRA and Enclave and redo everything. Fix that and you will have better RP. Blaming Plunger is stupid and won't get you anywhere.

Mr. Pink HGN has been hosting STALKER for like 3 years now so if anything is a reskin it's FO being a reskin of SRP. I know when the server first launched myself and the other faction heads tried our absolute hardest to make sure it wasn't just "STALKER: The Shadow of Ohio" and had a fair amount of success with it. The difference between the 2 servers is people on the SRP server are much better at passiving and not entirely driven by greed...well at least they are less greedy. I think part of that is because the STALKER games do a VERY good job of making the player never feel powerful. FO, on the other hand (well at least the 2 most recent ones that people have played), tries its hardest to make you feel invincible, especially FO3 which is probably the game 99.9% of the players on the FO server played. This means that in STALKER people knew what it was like to feel weak and the SP characters they played translated well into MP. STALKER is a scarier game because you are weaker. FO on the other hand makes the player character an unstoppable badass. Guess what 90% of the people on the FO server try being? The Lone Wanderer/The Courier. Part of that is because they are powergaming fucktards but the other part is that they are playing the RP game the exact same way as they played the SP game. In STALKER that is fine because your SP character is rather weak (especially if you play on high difficulty settings). In FO it isn't.

Maxi there is no way in hell the S.T.A.L.K.E.R series is as popular as FO. You're flat out wrong and you calling people stupid only makes you look like more of an ass. STALKER didn't even launch on consoles, FO3 and FO:NV did, and the FO brand is far more recognized than S.T.A.L.K.E.R is. I would be willing to bet FO3 by itself probably sold more copies than the 3 STALKERs combined and I absolutely guarantee that FO 3 and NV definitely did.