GENTLEMEN, I'd like to put an end to a rumor regarding character wipes.

Started by Spades_Neil, 05-06-2011

Spades_Neil

One:
Yesterday I sent game invites to a bunch of you. Out of you, like five logged in. Some were busy, some were tired, some were just more interested in other stuff. Some of you however said you weren't going to log in because a future character wipe would make it pointless.

Response:
The character wipe never was set in stone. We weren't sure when it'd happen, or for that matter if it would EVER happen. Yet, everyone acted like it was going to, or like it already had happened, so I had at least several of you refusing to come RP because of the pointlessness of it. Understandable, though saddening and poorly judged.

Two:
Oh, and by the way,
Jake changed his mind! Now can we please get back to roleplaying? I'm getting bored because none of you want to log in!
That's right. After a few weeks of debate with Jake, he's changed his mind at least for the moment. So that means you're not going to all lose your characters and Kira is virtually handing out money for STK, no-gear-return assassination missions. So get your asses in her now! I'M BORED.

kthxbai

Also we might still do lore changes and map changes and stuff, but I strongly emphasize MIGHT. We also might not. So please, stop assuming stuff. It's confusing everyone and making me sad. You wouldn't want to make me sad would you? I'm obnoxious when I'm sad. :C

jaik

...Right.

Yes, I won't perform a wipe with this overhaul.
I'm not doing it due to possible consequences which I didn't find any threatening to the playerbase at first. I must apologize for ignoring them when I made that thread.
Blake.H: And im also working on whipping him into shape
Blake.H: He's nice
Blake.H: He doesn't moan
Blake.H: The sheer obedience is enough to fuel my erection anyway

Khorn

Paintcheck

Lore change will only happen with a wipe, the canon is changing too radically and the location is changing too for it to function with half the server still thinking they are in Kentucky.

And even without a character wipe the server still has a broken economy and broken factions so there's still no reason to join.

mxh24

Quote from: Paintcheck on 05-06-2011
Lore change will only happen with a wipe, the canon is changing too radically and the location is changing too for it to function with half the server still thinking they are in Kentucky.

And even without a character wipe the server still has a broken economy and broken factions so there's still no reason to join.

Why even post if your just going to pull down on Frp and tell people not to go on when we are trying to pull up and try to help it... (bad example but you get the point)

Also, I changed my trader app, if there is no wipe should I change it back? Also I go on when you send me an invite, and when no one else is on to help get people.
(using iPod to type, excuse any errors.)

"When in doubt, mumble."

meetdadoom

Quote from: mxh24 on 05-06-2011

Why even post if your just going to pull down on Frp and tell people not to go on when we are trying to pull up and try to help it... (bad example but you get the point)

Also, I changed my trader app, if there is no wipe should I change it back? Also I go on when you send me an invite, and when no one else is on to help get people.
(using iPod to type, excuse any errors.)

Mxh, everything needs critisism so it can get better.

[flash=500,30]http://www.youtube.com/v/9UousVNJaIM[/flash]

Khorn

Paintcheck likes to paint every and any area in a pessimistic color.

jaik

Currently we have people who think that we are in 2277 now. It would make little difference as well, because decent roleplayers should be able to understand that we're going to deal with another time.

Broken economy and factions? What.

Khorn

Honestly, with roleplay on Garrysmod, I don't think Economy is the right word to use. Since I never seen any gamemode with a good economy simulation. With the whole money being deleted when using a menu or money spawning by paycheck.

As for factions, they are just dead since the Leaders and members vanished.

Spades_Neil

Well Paintcheck,

The economy is messed up, but it just needs more circulation. That's the problem. Wiping out everyone's inventories isn't going to help. In fact that'd just make the problem worse if we don't correct the true issues.

We don't have an inflation problem, we have deflation due to the lack of money flowing around at all. This, as Jake knows, can be fixed with cash flags or admins giving out money for good roleplay, or missions that result in the reward of caps.

I'm trying to help by doing more missions. I mean, I'm fucking rolling in caps right now. I don't even have anything to spend it on. So I'm throwing it back at the economy to give it a boost.

Plus we need new items. That's another discussion.

As for the lore change, I don't know why it's so difficult to explain to you guys that we don't need to wipe out characters to do that. I had to explain this to Jake too. :P Maybe you guys don't understand because you're not authors, or Gmod is the only place you roleplay, or maybe you've just never needed to revise a story before.

Point is, if we change the lore, you can adapt your characters. You can change their age, you can change their background stories, and in this case for most of us it's just a matter of changing the age. In fact for some of us who don't seem to know the year is 2237 and think it's 2277 or 87, then this much isn't even required.

Besides, no one is FORCING you to make new characters, because frankly they can't. If you feel like you can do well with a new character, then by all means, delete your old one. If you can adapt your character to a new lore, that's good too.

A wipe is a last resort from an administrative perspective, and frankly, it isn't needed. There are still ways to fix this without the character wipe. That should only be done when the server is completely fucked up beyond all repair. Right now, all the trouble makers are gone.

I do appreciate the critique though, Paintcheck. :) Even if they do view it as a bit pessimistic.

Poopship

I'd like the wipe done and over with, fresh starts kick ass. You don't lose anything, it's just a game. It IS about developing characters. Also, when your first character usually is tasteless. I find, most people's first character is tasteless. Prove me wrong.

R3BooT

Quote from: Poopship on 06-06-2011
I'd like the wipe done and over with, fresh starts kick ass. You don't lose anything, it's just a game. It IS about developing characters. Also, when your first character usually is tasteless. I find, most people's first character is tasteless. Prove me wrong.

If you're worried about Spade's buisness, Enclave robbed it from it's tech. So all Spades has is rifles. Normal rifles.
funny gifs

Steven :D

Quote from: R3BooT on 06-06-2011

If you're worried about Spade's buisness, Enclave robbed it from it's tech. So all Spades has is rifles. Normal rifles.
When was this..?

meetdadoom

I don't know about the tasteless part but, YES. EVERYONE IS SO FUCKING HUNG OVER LOSSING GEAR.

[flash=500,30]http://www.youtube.com/v/9UousVNJaIM[/flash]

Spades_Neil

Quote from: Steven :D on 06-06-2011

When was this..?

Today. Assholes. >_>

But yea. In all seriousness, I can't complain too much. It was allowed to be a /roll RP where I actually had a sporting chance, instead of some godmod/powergame bullshit.

Cutch

Quote from: Jake on 06-06-2011

Currently we have people who think that we are in 2277 now. It would make little difference as well, because decent roleplayers should be able to understand that we're going to deal with another time.

Plunger is still in command of a major faction and he hasn't been on FORP for 2 months.

"Stop living life so that you can do a job with out pay"
-Blake/Last Exile

jaik

Quote from: Cutch on 07-06-2011
Quote from: Jake on 06-06-2011

Plunger is still in command of a major faction and he hasn't been on FORP for 2 months.

Why does it matter? ECR will not exist after the change.

Wolfinton

Quote from: Spades_Neil on 06-06-2011
Quote from: Steven :D on 06-06-2011

When was this..?

Today. Assholes. >_>

But yea. In all seriousness, I can't complain too much. It was allowed to be a /roll RP where I actually had a sporting chance, instead of some godmod/powergame bullshit.

Thank god for my soldiers protecting my town! Oh... Wait. I rarely ever see my soldiers! *Hides Laser Rifle and Pistol* Oh fuck that shit.

Quote from: meetdadoom on 06-06-2011

I don't know about the tasteless part but, YES. EVERYONE IS SO FUCKING HUNG OVER LOSSING GEAR.

Yea, people do seem very, very annoyed about losing gear. The only thing I dislike about the wipe is losing the character progression and development throughout the time the server has run, but the items I care little about. I mean, I'd prefere to have some armour and a weapon, but I'm not too obssessed with it.
Pink doesn't make me gay, it makes you homophobic.