Fallout: New England, FORP's grand reopening

Started by Spades_Neil, 04-10-2011

Spades_Neil

Fallout: New England | Gmod Serious Roleplaying

I'll be conjuring up ideas for events and planning ahead so we can all get online at once. I'm trying to think of an event for this weekend.

This trailer is short and simple, but enough to spark peoples' interest. Send it to your friends if you want them to try joining.

gunnerstrip7

So a new start, looks really nice.

Plunger

That video makes me think of The Blair Witch Project, nice shaky cam skills.

jaik

Quote from: Plunger on 04-10-2011
That video makes me think of The Blair Witch Project, nice shaky cam skills.

also reminds me of the srp advert we made in 2008
Blake.H: And im also working on whipping him into shape
Blake.H: He's nice
Blake.H: He doesn't moan
Blake.H: The sheer obedience is enough to fuel my erection anyway

Khorn

That video shows nothing at all except bad editing. I hope you don't plan to use that.

Paintcheck

Quote from: Khorn on 05-10-2011
That video shows nothing at all except bad editing. I hope you don't plan to use that.

That. Everyone knows what RP_Apocalypse looks like. Showing the content would have been better. Although it does do a fantastic job of conveying how empty, inactive, and dead the server is so I guess it is successful in that regard.

inb4 this and Khorn's posts get deleted.

Spades_Neil

Quote from: Khorn on 05-10-2011

Don't expect anything brilliant out of a shitty program like Windows Movie Maker. I threw this together in a matter of an hour. Half-decent videos take at least several hours to finish.

This was just to get peoples' attention to let them know, "Hey, the project isn't dead."

Quote from: Paintcheck on 05-10-2011
Although it does do a fantastic job of conveying how empty, inactive, and dead the server is so I guess it is successful in that regard.

Why lie? That's exactly how things are right now. So that's how I did the video. However, I also plan to do a second, much more in-depth video hopefully this weekend. Trying to think of ideas for an event.

inb4 this and Khorn's posts get deleted.

I hope not. There's a difference between trolling and critique. I view this as critique.

meetdadoom

This "event" is going to be cool for maybe a day. You'll get some activity after that and then it will go back to being dead. This isn't how Fallout rp should be played.

[flash=500,30]http://www.youtube.com/v/9UousVNJaIM[/flash]

lolKieck

Get some players running, walking, fighting if you are going to make a trailer.
░░░░░░░▐▄▀▒▒▀▀▀▀▄▄▄▀▒▒▒▒▒▐
░░░░░▄▄▀▒░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒█▒▒▄█▒▐
░░░▄▀▒▒▒░░░▒▒▒░░░▒▒▒▀██▀▒▌
░░▐▒▒▒▄▄▒▒▒▒░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▀▄▒▒
░░▌░░▌█▀▒▒▒▒▒▄▀█▄▒▒▒▒▒▒▒█▒
░▐░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▌██▀▒▒░░░▒▒▒▀ ▌
░▌░▒▄██▄▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░░░░░░▒▒▒ ▌
▀▒▀▐▄█▄█▌▄░▀▒▒░░░░░░░░░░▒▒ ▐
▐▒▒▐▀▐▀▒░▄▄▒▄▒▒▒▒▒▒░▒░▒░▒▒ ▒▌
▐▒▒▒▀▀▄▄▒▒▒▄▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░▒░▒░▒ ▐
░▌▒▒▒▒▒▒▀▀▀▒▒▒▒▒▒░▒░▒░▒░▒▒ ▌
░▐▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░▒░▒░▒▒▄▒▒
░░▀▄▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░▒░▒░▒▄▒▒▒▒

Spades_Neil

Quote from: meetdadoom on 05-10-2011
This "event" is going to be cool for maybe a day. You'll get some activity after that and then it will go back to being dead. This isn't how Fallout rp should be played.

That's if I don't keep at it with more events and teaching players how to make up their own events. SRP's nice factor was that major factions would do missions even if there were no administrators online.

The idea is that after some effort in getting things going, things will become autonomous. It's also why we need major factions who won't kill wastelanders who aren't just the BoS.

Quote from: lolKieck on 05-10-2011
Get some players running, walking, fighting if you are going to make a trailer.

Thus the purpose of the event. I'll be trying to record highlights of its gameplay.

Paintcheck

Quote from: Spades_Neil on 05-10-2011

The idea is that after some effort in getting things going, things will become autonomous. It's also why we need major factions who won't kill wastelanders who aren't just the BoS.

Anyone else remember when we used to have those? It's been so long I can barely remember. Why did we stop having cool factions again? Oh right.

Steven :D

Anyone else remember when we used to have those? It's been so long I can barely remember. Why did we stop having cool factions again? Oh right.
Since after the Firestorm event FORP has declined alot.

meetdadoom

online.

No. You still miss the fucking point Spades. First of all the beauty of SRP is that anyone can make an event. Not just major factions. The problem is, forp isn't srp. I have drilled this many times. You can't play FRP like SRP.  The only way you can do that is if forp is only online when a major event is happening. That way everyone can play bad ass shooter guy.
        Forp is meant to be played 70% passive 30% action. 70 % of the time you should be worrying about getting food and shelter and get some rad-away or maybe you are a citizen of a town and you have to get your wood quota in. Then maybe you are cutting wood when all the suddenly a mutant attacks you. It's because of these that made Vault 10 and FRA work. The faction aren't the only people involved. Everyone is involved (more heavily in vault 10). FRA only survives if the people cooperate.

Spades_Neil

Quote from: Steven :D on 05-10-2011
Since after the Firestorm event FORP has declined alot.

Well, look at what worked pre-Firestorm. FRA worked until it was militarized. I don't know much about the vault, but I see no reason why it wouldn't work aside from not having a vault.

Take what works and learn from what doesn't work. The reason the Firestorm occurred was, in a nutshell, one or two people who wanted to "win" at FORP. Roleplay doesn't work that way. Luckily those people are gone.

online.

No. You still miss the fucking point Spades. First of all the beauty of SRP is that anyone can make an event. Not just major factions. The problem is, forp isn't srp. I have drilled this many times. You can't play FRP like SRP.  The only way you can do that is if forp is only online when a major event is happening. That way everyone can play bad ass shooter guy.
        Forp is meant to be played 70% passive 30% action. 70 % of the time you should be worrying about getting food and shelter and get some rad-away or maybe you are a citizen of a town and you have to get your wood quota in. Then maybe you are cutting wood when all the suddenly a mutant attacks you. It's because of these that made Vault 10 and FRA work. The faction aren't the only people involved. Everyone is involved (more heavily in vault 10). FRA only survives if the people cooperate.

You basically summed up the reasons I've wanted a so-called "third faction" again. When I say "event" I mean "shit to do." An "event" can in fact be something as simple as gathering resources.

In fact that's exactly what we did a bunch of times before the servers all crashed. I made a group called the Commonwealth of Eden. We all passive RPed fishing for most of the time, then suddenly a giant mutant fish attacked us. We killed it and ate it and had a big BBQ at the town. It was a good day.

Now, ideally, I'd like it so -everyone- participates in a town of some kind. Loners don't do anything interesting, and it's not interesting to play as a loner. Storms' End worked out pretty nicely for a while in that sense. You're telling me things I already know. This is what I mean by making things autonomous.

Wolfinton

*Sigh* People like action more than passive RP. It's simple. You cannot moan that FORP needs passive RP if it will just kill it even more.

Also, Paintcheck, it hasn't been that long since we've had a non-killing faction. There was once New Boonesborough which was, at least in the leaders eyes, more interested in mutant killing than wastelanders and would freely help them out.
Pink doesn't make me gay, it makes you homophobic.

Paintcheck

Take what works and learn from what doesn't work. The reason the Firestorm occurred was, in a nutshell, one or two people who wanted to "win" at FORP. Roleplay doesn't work that way. Luckily those people are gone.

Yeah them and everyone else left as well. Did anything really get fixed? Hard to tell @ 0/45 (oh holy shit there are 5/45 on right now!)

I'm starting to wonder if STALKER works better because the source material takes a different type of person to play it. FO is a huge mass market success that any 12 year old dumbass knows about. 12 year olds are bad RPers. Most console kiddies/instant gratification kiddies are bad RPers. The FO games reach out to those people, thus the few players FORP has attracted are all terrible powergaming 11 year olds.

STALKER on the other hand is a much, much harder game that is also a lot less forgiving. Therefore the only people who play (and enjoy it) are those who are willing to be more cerebral and they also have experience at not having 500000 points of plot armor like you do in FO. In STALKER people are USED to not being all powerful, in Fallout, they expect it from the source material. The shitstorm event and canon rapage has already alienated the players FO had that were more interested in RP than looting so now all you have left are the fucking imbeciles. Have fun with them.

Frostee

Quote from: Paintcheck on 07-10-2011

Yeah them and everyone else left as well. Did anything really get fixed? Hard to tell @ 0/45 (oh holy shit there are 5/45 on right now!)

I'm starting to wonder if STALKER works better because the source material takes a different type of person to play it. FO is a huge mass market success that any 12 year old dumbass knows about. 12 year olds are bad RPers. Most console kiddies/instant gratification kiddies are bad RPers. The FO games reach out to those people, thus the few players FORP has attracted are all terrible powergaming 11 year olds.

STALKER on the other hand is a much, much harder game that is also a lot less forgiving. Therefore the only people who play (and enjoy it) are those who are willing to be more cerebral and they also have experience at not having 500000 points of plot armor like you do in FO. In STALKER people are USED to not being all powerful, in Fallout, they expect it from the source material. The shitstorm event and canon rapage has already alienated the players FO had that were more interested in RP than looting so now all you have left are the fucking imbeciles. Have fun with them.

/thread

jaik

Quote from: Paintcheck on 07-10-2011

I've realized this long ago, although Silver insists on having Fallout RP up because he believes that with proper advertising it could work. He also noted that WorldScript is unique from other scripts /RP/ - yes, that's true, FRP is not focused on actual character development, but rather it approves of MMORPG playstyle. (Crafting). But believe it or not, other than the HUD which is partly taken from Silverlan's script and updated Nexus networking we are not much different from other Fallout RP servers.

meetdadoom

Once again here is what I say. You either make Fallout role play like an average PnP role play where only once in a blue moon the developers make a story and the server is open on that day. Or, you do my idea however since most people see fallout they go lone wanderer so then here is what my second idea is. Let's dump fallout and make up our own apocalypse canon. It's hard but it can be well done like crussaria canon.

Mr. Pink

Quote from: meetdadoom on 07-10-2011
Once again here is what I say. You either make Fallout role play like an average PnP role play where only once in a blue moon the developers make a story and the server is open on that day. Or, you do my idea however since most people see fallout they go lone wanderer so then here is what my second idea is. Let's dump fallout and make up our own apocalypse canon. It's hard but it can be well done like crussaria canon.
God damn... I hate to say it... But the second sounds like a good idea... This just, feels right, this idea... However, I think a simple overhaul of the FRP server would do, rather than completely clearing it and starting fresh...  We have enough good writers to write some good canon for this.
I wish for a pinball machine full of Cannabis.

lolKieck

Quote from: Mr. Pink on 07-10-2011
Quote from: meetdadoom on 07-10-2011
God damn... I hate to say it... But the second sounds like a good idea... This just, feels right, this idea... However, I think a simple overhaul of the FRP server would do, rather than completely clearing it and starting fresh...  We have enough good writers to write some good canon for this.
You don't get it, people WON'T read the new canon. They'll assume it is a FONV or FO3 RP server.
░░░░░░░▐▄▀▒▒▀▀▀▀▄▄▄▀▒▒▒▒▒▐
░░░░░▄▄▀▒░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒█▒▒▄█▒▐
░░░▄▀▒▒▒░░░▒▒▒░░░▒▒▒▀██▀▒▌
░░▐▒▒▒▄▄▒▒▒▒░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▀▄▒▒
░░▌░░▌█▀▒▒▒▒▒▄▀█▄▒▒▒▒▒▒▒█▒
░▐░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▌██▀▒▒░░░▒▒▒▀ ▌
░▌░▒▄██▄▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░░░░░░▒▒▒ ▌
▀▒▀▐▄█▄█▌▄░▀▒▒░░░░░░░░░░▒▒ ▐
▐▒▒▐▀▐▀▒░▄▄▒▄▒▒▒▒▒▒░▒░▒░▒▒ ▒▌
▐▒▒▒▀▀▄▄▒▒▒▄▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░▒░▒░▒ ▐
░▌▒▒▒▒▒▒▀▀▀▒▒▒▒▒▒░▒░▒░▒░▒▒ ▌
░▐▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░▒░▒░▒▒▄▒▒
░░▀▄▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░▒░▒░▒▄▒▒▒▒

jaik

So instead of improving on Fallout, you wish to make a generic Post-Apoc RP?
God damn, do you not understand that you don't change people, but the canon? And what is the point of this if you cannot change the mindset of the people?

Paintcheck

Quote from: Jake on 08-10-2011
So instead of improving on Fallout, you wish to make a generic Post-Apoc RP?
God damn, do you not understand that you don't change people, but the canon? And what is the point of this if you cannot change the mindset of the people?

Jake's right. FO was already super generic immediately after the shitstorm and it was dead. Making it more generic isn't going to do anything. The problem is the players are stupid fucks who don't read the canon and think they are playing a single player game. If you want to just axe FO, put up a server that isn't generic post apoc like every other server on Gmod right now. Don't put up more of the same.

Khorn

Thats why I suggested for us to put up a Fallout Online game instead.

In thhat game you can roleplay with peoplle and without people. You can also play it like a single player game.

Plunger

People asking for a Post-Apoc RP with lots of backstory, and something to make the children stay away?

I'll just leave this here.