Understanding the Universe: Employment

Started by Col. StaR, 20-03-2010

Col. StaR

I'm assuming you've read up on the Local Information already.
If now, read it HERE
-----
As you begin your first few days, you'll note that you're pretty much a nobody: regardless of who you were or where you came from, you're just another faceless person with unknown motives. Unless you're content with performing odd jobs around town to scratch by a living, you'd best find yourself a career, or at least some better-paying odd jobs.

First off, think about who you(r character) is, and then think about their skills. Knowing the strengths and weaknesses will help you get by; pro tip, everyone thinks they can be a mercenary, but most don't succeed very well. Next, think about their opportunities within groups or factions: involvement within a faction is considered much more successful and stable than otherwise. Next, think about whether they want to stay in that position or not.

Great. If you've got your mind set for a Faction, go learn about its qualifications and apply. Each faction's application process is different, so that's as far as I can advise for you. This guide will go more in depth within the alternate sources of employment.

QuoteMINING:
Mining is possibly the only stable job that an unskilled worker can count on. It is pretty hazardous and unhealthy, you smell pretty bad after every shift, and it pays pretty poorly with all thinks considered, but it pays, and that's all it comes down to. Ask a foreman about employment, and they'll get you started, as well as give you your pay.

MERCENARY:
I sure hope you know what you're getting into with Merc work: if you are a mercenary, especially new guys, you're more likely to be PKed than escape wounded. Mercenaries will always be available for hire by others, especially if conflict requires some "forceful negotiation". Alternatively, a DETS might have a job for you, but don't count on it consistently: OOC note that we admins have to set that up for each individual job, which is annoying, time consuming, and occurs quite frequently based on the amount of mercenaries around. If you'd like a job, hang around a DETS stall, lounge around the bar, or go person to person. Just make sure you supply your own skill set and weapons.

BANDITS:
Life of crime is the most lucrative with such low standards. All you need is a gun, intent, and the will to ignore petty ethics. How you go about your business is your own decisions, but two things I will say: Bandits should be plentiful, and there's always power in numbers.

ODD JOBS:
Anything that may be considered, "task-based work", where you get paid to do one thing and one thing only, might be considered Odd Jobs. The pay might suck, and the job might be even worse, but that's what happens when you lack vision or skills. Doing the Odd Jobs might be kind of fun, though. Never know what you'll run into...

Once you've got your profession, you're officially thought of as a "productive" member of society, assuming you're working for society's benefit. Finding your place within society is crucial to your own continuity, especially when most lone wolves end up as formian food. But that's the law of nature: only the strongest survive.

Genesis

Quote from: Col. StaR on 20-03-2010

BANDITS:
Life of crime is the most lucrative with such low standards. All you need is a gun, intent, and the will to ignore petty ethics. How you go about your business is your own decisions, but two things I will say: Bandits should be plentiful, and there's always power in numbers.

No rape plox :D