The Gambler's Luck

Started by Pink!, 01-02-2012

Pink!

A foreign crew hailing from the outer reaches of the world, the Gambler's Luck is a simple, wide-bottomed sloop with a knack for speedy assaults and escapes at sea, and quick journeys from isle to isle. Lightly armed, it's acquired a very patched and varied reputation, however, with nobles viewing it as a group of pirates, and peasants and commoners idealizing their lifestyle. Traditionally, the ship's always travelled around the Khopai Islands, and been the subject of tales and yarns.

Its arrival on Crussaria's shores is... surprising, to say the least.

First setting sail ten years ago, the Iron Heart was, originally, a moderately warship manned entirely by slaves, with only a small group of officers on board to keep the peace. Operating at the whim of the Noverseer Navy, the ship wracked up a significant portion of kills in combat, until the ship decided to raid a civilian fishing vessel belonging to an enemy faction. In the chaotic battle, the slaves managed to arrange a bloody revolt in the resultant skirmish. The battle was confusing, however, with slaves turning on their masters. The fishermen defending their ship focused, mostly, on defending themselves, and when the last slave master was gutted and hurled overboard, an offer was eventually made.

The two crews joined forces, scuttling the fishing vessel, and starting a freelance career on the warship, as pirates. Over the next few years, the crew would evolve at the hand of Captain Jonas Quinn, one of the original slaves of the Iron Heart, taking in those disheartened, enslaved, poor, or fleeing war. Eventually, however, in one particular skirmish, the original Iron Heart sustained significant damage. Gathering what arms they had, the ship was abandoned and left to sink. The properties of one wealthy lord was raided in a daring, risky move, razed to the ground, and a new ship was stolen, named the Gambler's Luck in tribute to the raid that recovered it. Word of the daring raid spread, and they started attracting the interest of more upstanding people, and over the next five years, under Quinn's leadership, the ship started to become a freelance group of warriors determined to overthrow a system based on class and slavery. Declaring themselves free warriors of the seas, the legend of the Gambler's Luck spread across the seas and land.

Three months before its arrival to Crussarian shores, the original leader of the slave revolt, Captain Jonas Quinn, succumbed to an infected gash along his hand, and was buried on the shores of Khopai, the islands he'd made his own. In a sad twist, a small number of command retired with his passing, and the ship's command dropped from the second in command, to the ship's mate, then the navigator, and even the boatswain, as they all decided to finally retire from the business. The boatswain, a Calino woman by the name of Gabriella, eventually accepted command, released the former leadership of the vessel, and took over as best she could.

Things are more difficult, now. With its leadership retired, and many veteran sailors under her, the Gambler's Luck has taken a journey to Crussaria, an area outside its normal routes, to recruit and find more members to join its ranks. Mutiny certainly isn't brewing, and Gabriella has proven to be an adequate leader, though she's refused assuming the rank of Captain, for now. There's still a significant concern at the abrupt change; worry that they may return to their old history of piracy, or, alternately, become 'paladins on a tugboat', to quote one member of the crew.

'Captain'

Gabriella Auvitorio di Carneficia
Pink

Best Man
Zelhim the Cobalt
General Cole

http://www.youtube.com/v/05rR7nozsYg&autoplay=1

For various reasons, I'm not at HGN much any more.
I'll see you all around, though, some time...

Pink!

Reserved, mostly, for OOC notifications and updates. Speaking of which, this is recruiting for a start on-server, hopefully this weekend. If you're interested in joining up, let me know via PM, in game, or over Steam. We're happy to sort something out.

There's no application. I prefer the strategy of finding out what a player wants to do, and placing them in that position. Want to be a cook, or want to have a character that's an aggressive fighter, and new to the ship? I think the easiest way to figure that out is by talking, not through an application.

Frostee

So you are basically pirates?

Pink!

Quote from: FrostyFrosty on 02-02-2012

No. Traditionally pirates were bloodthirsty criminals who operated entirely for profit. This is a heavily romanticized version.

Madcombat

Theme doesn't fit. :V

engerius

Quote from: Pink! on 02-02-2012

No. Traditionally pirates were bloodthirsty criminals who operated entirely for profit. This is a heavily romanticized version.

Traditionally pirates are either military or privateers that decided to become independent when they would be cut back due to a lack of work in peacetime.

Ragolution

Quote from: Madcombat on 02-02-2012

It's Abney Park. Abney Park always fits.

Pink!

Quote from: Madcombat on 02-02-2012

You're not listening to it~

Quote from: Madcombat on 02-02-2012Theme doesn't fit. :V

You need to listen to it. :P

Quote from: engerius on 02-02-2012
Quote from: Pink! on 02-02-2012

Traditionally pirates are either military or privateers that decided to become independent when they would be cut back due to a lack of work in peacetime.

And thus became criminals. They weren't nice, either way.