Stop Pointing Fingers...

Started by ZainMenloe, 01-05-2012

ZainMenloe

From the last three topics I have read about why the server is dead and what is needed all have the same answers that I shoot down every time. So, I'm going to politely give a statement on why each of the things I have seen is wrong, near wrong, or pretty close to what is wrong.

The Lore being complicated- I'll state from experience that this is wrong. When I first joined CRP, I didn't know ANY of the lore, litterally, none. The lore isn't necessary if you play a peasant or low class person. After playing on the server for a few days, I decided I should study up a little. You do not NEED to read the lore to play any server, you just need a basic bit of knowledge about it, and her is the only things you need to know about Crussaria: It is in a country called Crussaria on a fantasy planet, and it is medieval times. You might want to read the religions, but other than that, nothing else is needed to be known.

Peasants being ignored- I'll just say it, that is straight out wrong. EVERYONE Is a peasant, I haven't seen a higher class character on for quite some time before Crusarria's death. If you think you are being ignored, then interact with some other people. Say Hi, wave a hand. Just do something to spark a bit of RP between two people. It doesn't matter if the people interacting is a peasant and a king, I assure you, there will be some form of RP going on.

Admins being active- Yeah, I'll agree with you on that, the current admins (Myself included) Are not online all the time. HOWEVER, that does not mean we are never online. Personally, I get online anytime I see a single person and actually have time to do something. I have more important things to attend to other than GMod and a server that gets no players, as I'm sure the other admins do as well.

Peasant friendly events- I have two answers to this and I'll put this in big bold letters so everyone will stop saying more events... WRONG. As I stated in the above, I get online anytime I see a single person online and I have time to do something. When I get online, the first thing I do is go see what the people are doing. If they are doing nothing, I make a small event accesible by ANYONE, including peasants, and try get people to RP a bit. Thats answer one.
Answer two, You don't NEED an event to RP. I get on Fallout and Stalker RP quite often anymore, and I see plenty of people roleplaying with no admin online making an event every 5 minutes. To roleplay, you need two things, A character with a small story, and a partner. You don't need events, you don't need items, hell, you don't even need a map, you can RP on GM_Flatgrass. This is be far the worst excuse I have seen as to why no one is online.

Now comes the fun part, MY thoughts on why there are zero people online. My turn to point a finger, the problem, is, the players. Its not the admins, it not the lack of events, its the people who look at the server, and dont get on. Simple, that is both the cause and the effect. Sure, admins arent online 24/7, and that is because we are people. We have a job, we need sleep, and we have things that are actually more important than being on a server all day just waiting for someone to join and ask a question. You people need to stop pointing fingers at all these different things when the real problem is the fact that no one gets online. And that is a very simple fix, all you have to do is type in the server IP, and click connect. Thats the simple part, the part no one does, is be patient. Yeah, you get on, and have to wait for someone else to get on, scary thought, but the reason FORP and SRP don't die overnight is because a single person gets on, waits, and others join. That's exactly what CRP needs, is a few people to get online, RP while others finally see the server and say "OH, look! There is someone online!" We had a great playerbase, and I don't know about you, but I had a great time. We just need people like this server so much, that they will get online and wait for others. I do that quite often, yet it goes unnoticed, so, I quit joining every morning. I have been too stressed out to even think of making events on the server to keep people entertained. You people just need to make characters that have a background, a small story, and a personality. And you need only 2 people online to actually RP. Events are not needed to roleplay, they are there to enhance it, not create it. Events should not be looked on as a necessity for any server, because I can guarantee you, if you get on FORP or SRP, you'll see people RPing everywhere and no events are going on. Hell, I've seen it when there are no admins online. So stop pointing fingers at things that are not the reason, until you know what the real reason is. If you have another suggestion on why the server is dead, please post it here, and I'll read it and do one of two things, agree with it, or explain why it isnt true.

jaik

Your post is so flawed I cannot comprehend.

First of all you say that it's my fault that the server is dead, but when it comes to you being online, you have 'other' things to attend to: a job, life, wife, five children, a cat, a dog... etc. It's not my fault you cannot keep me interested. You're also very inclined to believe that every player who comes on, doesn't come back because he isn't given any events or items, which is also as wrong as your assumptions on this topic. An average player joins to get entertainment from RP, except there are two things that stop him from getting that:
1) Nobody on the server.
2) Nobody wants to RP (with them).
Don't deny the latter, because not everyone is going to experience CRP exactly as you did.

I used to think the same when I was an SV at FORP, however it's just a bad excuse from not doing anything or doing it wrong.
Blake.H: And im also working on whipping him into shape
Blake.H: He's nice
Blake.H: He doesn't moan
Blake.H: The sheer obedience is enough to fuel my erection anyway

Madcombat

Quote from: Jake on 01-05-2012
Your post is so flawed I cannot comprehend.

First of all you say that it's my fault that the server is dead, but when it comes to you being online, you have 'other' things to attend to: a job, life, wife, five children, a cat, a dog... etc. It's not my fault you cannot keep me interested. You're also very inclined to believe that every player who comes on, doesn't come back because he isn't given any events or items, which is also as wrong as your assumptions on this topic. An average player joins to get entertainment from RP, except there are two things that stop him from getting that:
1) Nobody on the server.
2) Nobody wants to RP (with them).
Don't deny the latter, because not everyone is going to experience CRP exactly as you did.

I used to think the same when I was an SV at FORP, however it's just a bad excuse from not doing anything or doing it wrong.

Jake is very right here, this is a error that needs to be repaired through the Administration, its our job to entertain and maintain.  I think it'd be best I'd lock this thread before it elevates as you was obviously a little annoyed at the time of posting this though quite late.

Tom

<---- this guy thinks this is all pointless
Quote from: TheAndyShandy on 05-12-2013
Oh boy.
Strap yourselves in, it's time for the great 'obligatory' SRP resurrection of 2013/14/15/16/22