Magic Backstory

Started by MattyK, 04-01-2009

MattyK

If we are to have Magic, in a way... We will have to have a backstory to it.... (Requested by Zaki)
I believe that the Wizards are an old line of "gifted" people who have been trained time on to time on, from the time of Merlin...

But I want people to add onto the story if you will, as I am currently digging through my own Country's history. (Gits don't teach this stuff in English Schools /facepalm)
Follow my Twitter HERE!

Zaki

I say that people have to be actually born with the gift. You will take them to the crystal of merlin or some shit to see if they have the gift in them. If they do, you decide whether they are apprentices or something.

MattyK

Quote from: Zaki I say that people have to be actually born with the gift. You will take them to the crystal of merlin or some shit to see if they have the gift in them. If they do, you decide whether they are apprentices or something.

:3 here we go...

And to cast spells you must get Power from Ley Line Nodes? In other words you only have soo much power, before you just go "OOM!". And any spellcasting after that will be listed as "life-draining".
Follow my Twitter HERE!

Zaki

No! I HAVE AN IDEA!

When they get too much power, they get reversed in abilities, and they gain NEGETIVE POWERS! BECOMING NECROMANCERS!

MattyK

Quote from: Zaki No! I HAVE AN IDEA!

When they get too much power, they get reversed in abilities, and they gain NEGETIVE POWERS! BECOMING NECROMANCERS!

And they degrade into Skeletal necromancers? (Search Skeleton on Garrysmod.org, pretty epic Dark Messiah playermodel there.)
Follow my Twitter HERE!

Zaki

Good idea. But then, what if they become too powerful as necromancers?.. Do they become Demonists?. Summoning demons or frayed corpses to help them in battle through demonology.

Plunger

How about this, Along time ago when the world was young there were crystals known as Magicite. These crystals had intense power in them and shaped the lands. When man was born they began to harness this power for their own gain. In turn this corupted the crystals destroying them, but not before man had harnessed this power calling it magic. The magic was used to make life easier, in wars, and for other such stuff. Later the magic would begin vanishing from bloodlines as the high ones, People infused with magic, began bredding with the low ones, non-magic humans, the world became decensitized leaving the births up to chance. Some are born with magic now others are not. The crystals of their linage control the magic they use.

Fire - Forges blades and singes foes.
Water - Drowns your enemies and creats rivers.
Air - Glides through the air.
Earth - Controls anything from plants to death.

Each person would choose one crystal to be their lineage for their magic role-play. This will determine their magic style.

Theres much more to the lore. I just want to test it with you guys.

MattyK

I would prefer a mixed backstory, as only a mix of the three Gmod9 Mage sweps can be useful.
Follow my Twitter HERE!

Zaki

How about your idea, Plunger. But there is one Magicite crystal left, known as the world crystal!

Plunger

Okay, I'm adding to my idea now. The demonist your speaking of can be a decendant of a fire and earth mage and a lich would be a ice and earth mage. I have an idea for holy and shadow.

Three more crystals.

Light - This crystal controls all the light in the world. (Not being only for good characters.)

Dark - This crystals controls the shadows in the world. (Not being only for bad charcters.)

World Crystal - This crystal controls everything in world. The men who tried to control this one were absorbed into it. (Cannot be controlled.)

Zaki

Yeah, and how you said the world crystal cannot be controlled, I say that if anyone gets near it, their essence immidiatly gets absorbed into it unless they have a completely pure and neutral soul.

MattyK

Nah...

I prefer my idea of Crysals, seems soo more attuned, remember, wer want to keep Wizard to like one person with two apprentices maybe, not an entire cult or guild.
Follow my Twitter HERE!

Zaki

Ranks of Mages-

Top ranks-

Head Mage

Arch Mage

Master Mage

Lower Ranks-

Hierarch mage

Mage

Master Apprentice

Intermediate Apprentice

Apprentice

Trainee

Plunger

That would be unfair if only two people had the power to kill entire armies. Also, I mean like if your the head wizard, you pick the people to train and once their finished after maybe a week or longer they get to pick their magic decendance.

Akira

I just can referrer you to my post in this thread.
http://www.hypergamer.net/board/index.php/topic,901.0.html

I like that thing with the evil magic. >:D

MattyK

Quote from: Plunger That would be unfair if only two people had the power to kill entire armies. Also, I mean like if your the head wizard, you pick the people to train and once their finished after maybe a week or longer they get to pick their magic decendance.

Well firstly the sweps I posted are massivley nerfed. (Excluding the Lightning Swep)
It takes about ten shots to kill anything with any of them.

And secondly... Who would you rather give Godlike powers to? Every person ahnd his forefather, or just two select individuals?
I hate the idea of everybody running around going "LOL MAGIC IS COMMON! I HAS TWO WIZZY CHARS IN DIS ACC!" so I seriously do not like the idea of Guilds. Wizards are something to be rare and feared, not your average spellcaster, instead a seemingly old frail man with a big backstory, who ends up saving the Kingdom, fighting off baddies, and getting an apprentice.
Tl;dr "No Guilds. We have enough Powergamers and Asshats in this community without giving every goddamn person the power to uberpwn."
Follow my Twitter HERE!

Zaki

Just make it impossible to get into the guild without epic RP.

Plunger

No, You didn't understand what I'm saying.

You take on an apprentice, He is trained, He is mastered, You can then take another apprentice, but only you can take on the apprentices, so you control who is a mage.

Zaki

MattyK

Quote from: Plunger No, You didn't understand what I'm saying.

You take on an apprentice, He is trained, He is mastered, You can then take another apprentice, but only you can take on the apprentices, so you control who is a mage.

That is more acceptable.
Maybe make a small council, but we ain't going "Mage's Guild" no matter what.
Follow my Twitter HERE!

Plunger

Yes, I agree with the no mages guilds, I'm getting pissed at all the topics poping up about it.

Magic is supposed to be close to extinction and few not have. Not everyman and his dog.

MattyK

Mmkay, but back to other things at hand...

Ley Lines and such... should they be added too?
Follow my Twitter HERE!

Plunger

Yes, The Ley Line's would fit with Magicite perfectly, Like the MAgicite grows near Ley Lines out of some cosmic power?

Akira

Quote from: MattyK Mmkay, but back to other things at hand...

Ley Lines and such... should they be added too?

I think Ley Lines are a very good thing, but how do you want to use them ingame? Everybody could create a character with the name of the ley line and say "HAI I HAS NAME LIEK LINE! GIMMEH MAH POWARZ!" (Sorry for that leet-speach.. I need that sometimes. ._.)

MattyK

Quote from: Plunger Yes, The Ley Line's would fit with Magicite perfectly, Like the MAgicite grows near Ley Lines out of some cosmic power?

Actually, I was thinking more along the "line" haha, of Magicite being the CENTER of a Ley Line...
Or something along that line rofl
Follow my Twitter HERE!