[EVENT] The Melting Sun Festival

Started by Pink!, 16-02-2011

Pink!

The Melting Sun Festival

Though we suffer through the cold acrid bite, let us be thankful for the redemption of the Sun, and the new life it brings to our world.
For now the harvest can be sown, and new life returns to this small village, bringing hope to all.

Date: Saturday, 19 February
Time: 12 AM GMT (Midnight)
Characters: Peasants/Commoners
Map: Whatever

What is this? Call it a simple, basic event, with a possible darker twist to it. But for the moment, what I'm considering is merely a simple festival event, mainly attended by peasants, the working class - not elite warriors, or spellcasting mages. It's just a friendly, casual feast, something passive for people.

Event Characters

Lord: Will briefly visit to partake in the tradition, knowing it keeps the peasants happy. A brief appearance.
Guards: A mere two will be with the Lord for his singular appearance.
Minstrels: A traveling minstrel has set up a small stage for the event, providing music and making a tidy income for himself.

All other characters should be peasants, pretty much, commoners. Showing up in full armor or acting like a 'badass' would be a massive faux pas, and might result in guards stepping in out of fear.

http://www.youtube.com/v/970KXTFzmT8&autoplay=1

For various reasons, I'm not at HGN much any more.
I'll see you all around, though, some time...

Ravanger

Sounds interesting, would be nice seeing this in roleplay. A large amount of people in a festival of type.

Silver Knight

I support this movement. It's what people should be doing anyway.

Quotebreslau: if i cant cheat i dont wanna play
breslau: period

Pink!

Quote from: Last.Exile on 16-02-2011
I support this movement. It's what people should be doing anyway.

Very well. I will schedule a date and time, and get this started, then. Is there an administrator who would be willing to help me co-ordinate this event, and any possible twists?

Zstan

I'm assuming this festival will have games?

COUNT ME IN FOREVER.

Cutch

I can assist in the coordination of the event, however today and monday-thursday I will be busy with lacrosse.
Add me (gryphyn)
I might be on around 1800-2200 GMT -5.

"Stop living life so that you can do a job with out pay"
-Blake/Last Exile

Pink!

I might host the event this weekend, then.

Silver Knight

I might have a alpha out of this city map im working on. But i can't say if i will have it done by then. Would be great for all forms of groups including lords to get involved in this. Hopefully i can get the tavern and various other interiors done.

Quotebreslau: if i cant cheat i dont wanna play
breslau: period

Pink!

Quote from: Last.Exile on 17-02-2011
I might have a alpha out of this city map im working on. But i can't say if i will have it done by then. Would be great for all forms of groups including lords to get involved in this. Hopefully i can get the tavern and various other interiors done.

Let's do it Saturday, midnight GMT. I encourage everyone to get a normal peasant character around for the event, instead of your ultra bad-ass; we can start with the basics.  ;D

Pink!

I need one or two administrators to get in touch with me, though, and help sort this out, lay down some ideas to make it interesting.

Any folks with 'lord' characters who'd be able to get on for the event, let me know.

Paintcheck

You have a surprising amount of animosity for "badass" characters that you have never seen or RP'd with, unless Crussaria was full of powergamers recently that I don't know about. Would be nice for you to stop making assumptions about them since I really don't want to have to justify having a magic character to any other person after waiting a year to finally be allowed to play it.

That being said it will be nice to see Crussaria active again if people show up.

Tom

Right, Does my Barmaid/Miner (Who does indeed own and know how to operate a sword but doesn't use it) count as a commoner? If so count me in, the only reason my female has a sword is to defend herself from goblins and shit while mining.
Quote from: TheAndyShandy on 05-12-2013
Oh boy.
Strap yourselves in, it's time for the great 'obligatory' SRP resurrection of 2013/14/15/16/22

Turkey

Quote from: Tom on 18-02-2011
Right, Does my Barmaid/Miner (Who does indeed own and know how to operate a sword but doesn't use it) count as a commoner? If so count me in, the only reason my female has a sword is to defend herself from goblins and shit while mining.

Me bar. ye?

I will totally participate.

KingArthur

Yea, im willing to participate and help. Message me, im sure tom will help too.

Pink!

Quote from: Paintcheck on 17-02-2011
You have a surprising amount of animosity for "badass" characters that you have never seen or RP'd with, unless Crussaria was full of powergamers recently that I don't know about. Would be nice for you to stop making assumptions about them since I really don't want to have to justify having a magic character to any other person after waiting a year to finally be allowed to play it.

That being said it will be nice to see Crussaria active again if people show up.

I go only by what I observe, and I am strongly opposed to character development that does not take place in a situation that allows for the random 'input' of other players. It is my personal taste, and while I realise that I am unable to prohibit someone from roleplaying a character in a manner I find distasteful, I can encourage them to exploit other avenues - for true creativity requires you to be able to think within a box, rather than constantly having to break out of it.

Also, my experiences with Crussaria, as well as significant time spent in other forms of roleplay, have only strengthened my belief in this. People, as a whole, have an overwhelming desire to be something greater than they are; it is human nature. I merely ask for... a more open, level playing field, one that dwells on the harsh realism of medieval times, even with fantasy elements.

If you think my beliefs and opinions are wrong, I can understand that, but I am unlikely to change them.

---

I may also delay this event so I can properly plan it, though. :)

Paintcheck

The whole POINT of RP is to be something you're not. I'm a peasant irl (...sort of) why the fuck would I want to play "my life" again in a game when I could do "my life" in real life. To be excluded from an event because of a character I spent a while developing is what bothers me. You can believe whatever you want about RP philosophy but to exclude a good amount of the server from an event because of that is narrow minded and unfair.

Pink!

Quote from: Paintcheck on 18-02-2011
The whole POINT of RP is to be something you're not. I'm a peasant irl (...sort of) why the fuck would I want to play "my life" again in a game when I could do "my life" in real life. To be excluded from an event because of a character I spent a while developing is what bothers me. You can believe whatever you want about RP philosophy but to exclude a good amount of the server from an event because of that is narrow minded and unfair.

I do not ever recall stating that certain characters were forbidden from partaking in the event. I encouraged people to use peasant characters, and to enter the spirit of a medieval festival. Should you wish, nothing is stopping you from creating an alternate character with an appropriate background - or, alternately, should your desired one appear, it would naturally be an in-character decision with appropriate in-character consequences.

As I have said - I can not force someone to roleplay in a manner I wish, but I can steadfastly encourage them to; hence the purpose of this event, to lend singular purpose to the server's population for a time.

Finally, I am quite certain you are not a medieval peasant partaking in an ancient festival. If you are, please forgive my impertinence.

Paintcheck

Hence the (sort of) after that statement. The idea being that in real life you are a nobody that can't do anything terribly exciting short of your (likely) mundane job or attending your (likely) mundane school. Which would be equivalent to farming (mundanely) your small peasant plot of land.

Pink!

Well, the event was awkward, and not entirely planned out. But it did get some people on!

Turkey

Quote from: Pink! on 21-02-2011
Well, the event was awkward, and not entirely planned out. But it did get some people on!

and bob dole got hanged, so it was infact a success

Pink!

Quote from: Turkey on 21-02-2011
Quote from: Pink! on 21-02-2011

and bob dole got hanged, so it was infact a success

The thing is, I'd rather have had a clear and concise date and time, primarily because I was hoping for some more significant twists and turns.

Originally, the minstrel was going to finish the fest by leading the crowd in a song, chant, and dance, tricking them into unknowingly completing a summoning ritual for a demon.

Paintcheck

Shit I missed it. At least people had fun. Hopefully I'll be around for the next one.

ThY

Pink!

I wanted to wait 24 hours before posting this, because I was concerned it could be seen as a flame, but it still needs to be said.

Whichever administrator decided to take the idea and run ahead with it, telling me they were 'going to run it' - I found it impolite, and disliked the fact that I, personally, felt forced to join the event mid-way with little input or planning. Please, in the future, attempt to contact me! :)

Cutch

I did that, and I do apologize. I needed the event to reboot the server, and I in no way meant I was going to try to hijack the event. I was simply trying to convey that I was the one who started the event up since we had a good amount of people and was the one who was going to assist with my administrative abilities.

"Stop living life so that you can do a job with out pay"
-Blake/Last Exile