SUGGESTION: Monolith and Disgusting roleplay [Under Review]

Started by Verne, 05-06-2014

Verne

Hi, I'm Verne. I've been roleplaying in different universes and on different servers, since 2009.

I think that the Monolith should be an event only faction, since they were allowed to roam freely, resulting in ungodly harassment with their endless supply of high-end weapons, suits and artifacts. They were also forcing torture roleplay on people, which isn't nice at all. This leads me to my next point.

Disgusting roleplay (cannibalism, rape, torture and so on) should only be allowed if all parties agree to this. It can be hard when on the recieving end of this kind of roleplay, and that's why I think we should put in a rule that would allow fade to black RP when your character falls victim of this, instead of completely voiding it.

jaik

Quote from: Verne on 05-06-2014
I think that the Monolith should be an event only faction, since they were allowed to roam freely, resulting in ungodly harassment with their endless supply of high-end weapons, suits and artifacts. They were also forcing torture roleplay on people, which isn't nice at all. This leads me to my next point.

Seeing as the only function that the Monolith members can perform is killing and following the orders of CC, it seems rather unnecessary to even support it on a factional level, meaning it won't have a stable leader- or membership. Monolith will remain in the background to provide immersion and "fear", being limited to events or random encounters.

Quote from: Verne on 05-06-2014
Disgusting roleplay (cannibalism, rape, torture and so on) should only be allowed if all parties agree to this. It can be hard when on the recieving end of this kind of roleplay, and that's why I think we should put in a rule that would allow fade to black RP when your character falls victim of this, instead of completely voiding it.

What you define as "disgusting roleplay" is a mere reaction to the environment, albeit it might seem radical, you should see it from a more realistic perspective. Seeing as the only few people who entered the Zone are hard-line criminals, sociopaths and (former) military personnel, it would be rather logical that a constant exposure to life-threatening danger will take a heavy toll on the human psyche, if not kill you, and combined with a permanent shortage of supplies(like food) in an area where all communication and logistics are essentially non-existent, meaning that such acts like cannibalism or torture won't seem that terrible to some.

You also mention rape, which actually is pretty common in war-zones, and the Zone is probably even worse than that. As I said earlier, the individual reaction is what the core of these acts are and seeing as roleplay is about individuals leads me to the main point: your definition of it as "disgusting roleplay" is flawed, because one may not place a universal "disgusting" brand on acts, perception of which in the end depends on the individual, and not socially accepted norms.

Besides, nearly every person who plays a female stalker does it to have the feminine traits that attract attention. Feminine traits are something you would not like to expose in an environment like this, so if you get raped, that's on you.

Though, I'd like to also point out that there's a worrying lack of people who are even able to perform this kind of roleplay to a plausible and mature extent, in which case the rule that prohibits enforcing shit RP on others is always there.
Blake.H: And im also working on whipping him into shape
Blake.H: He's nice
Blake.H: He doesn't moan
Blake.H: The sheer obedience is enough to fuel my erection anyway

Knife_cz

Gonztah

Blackflunk

Honestly I think Verne has a point. Being forced to describe any action performed during a rape scenery would be absolutely "out of nature" to anyone and it could ruin a roleplay experience to the individual who the rape is performed upon as you are litterally forced to do roleplay which you do not want to. I believe you should ask for consent to be able to perform those actions that Verne stated in the "Disgusting" section. Many communities, in which roleplay is included, use rules against rape in particular and I believe that those rules should apply here as well.
Ladies, please.

Verne

Regarding my point on disgusting roleplay, I think you might have misunderstood my post, Jake. I wasn't debating whether or not it was realistic for these things to happen in the zone. I am fully aware of that in fact, but as I said, for some players it's hard to RP getting eaten or raped, seeing as it's really not something people are used to in daily life.

However, since it's realistic and fits the universe, it should not be prohibited to do this kind of RP, seeing as it would cripple character development. That's why I suggested - in my previous post - that refusing to RP these things are okay, but the action still happens against your character. This would mean that we include "fade to black" roleplay in these situations, where the player refuse to roleplay "disgusting" RP. It's basically a way of skipping the roleplaying, and the players come to an agreement of what would happen.

I hope this cleared up the intentions of my first post.

jaik

Quote from: Blackflunk on 06-06-2014
Honestly I think Verne has a point. Being forced to describe any action performed during a rape scenery would be absolutely "out of nature" to anyone and it could ruin a roleplay experience to the individual who the rape is performed upon as you are litterally forced to do roleplay which you do not want to. I believe you should ask for consent to be able to perform those actions that Verne stated in the "Disgusting" section. Many communities, in which roleplay is included, use rules against rape in particular and I believe that those rules should apply here as well.

I don't understand where do you get the idea that rape, torture or cannibalism are special and sacred to an extent where people are not allowed to perform such roleplay in an area that has no morals or any sort of enforcement of law. Since we're speaking about the state of something being unnatural, your argument is rather invalid in this instance. Your argument is also pretty hypocritical in the sense that you call individual rape "absolutely" unnatural, yet you're not calling out nor protesting against brutal and mostly irrational assault, anarchy and absolute disorder, complete disregard for nature, mutilation and destruction of wildlife for profit, escaping the law by trespassing on a war-zone, excessive consumption of alcohol and drugs, slaughter that possibly reaches into hundreds, open rebellion against the state and active resistance against its military forces, etc.

You're not willing to call the things I listed unnatural nor complain about them, yet in the Stalker universe, they happen all the time. Rape, torture and cannibalism, by my 5 year experience of SRP, happen rarely and the instances of those acts could essentially be counted on one hand. Never on GMod have I even witnessed rape that would even exceed the expectations of a moderate roleplayer, and I have +6,000 hours on this game.

Another issue I see with restricting it is because it would stagger individual character development, especially on the receiving end. While you could see violating someone sexually as breaking some moral or social code, you're forgetting where Stalker RP takes place -- The Zone, where sometimes not even the laws of physics apply, let alone customary law.

Main point being; cases of rape that would be actually meaningful story-wise probably haven't even happened in GMod RP. To be raped by a character that is controlled by a 12 year old would probably would be an amusing experience, rather than a traumatic one.

As I noted in my previous post, forcing Shit RP on other players isn't allowed. Neither is anyone stopping you from walking away or disconnecting. If you're willing to accept that this character is in the most dangerous place on Earth, and that they can be killed at any time, then I don't see how can you not accept being raped.

Quote from: Verne on 06-06-2014
Regarding my point on disgusting roleplay, I think you might have misunderstood my post, Jake. I wasn't debating whether or not it was realistic for these things to happen in the zone. I am fully aware of that in fact, but as I said, for some players it's hard to RP getting eaten or raped, seeing as it's really not something people are used to in daily life.

However, since it's realistic and fits the universe, it should not be prohibited to do this kind of RP, seeing as it would cripple character development. That's why I suggested - in my previous post - that refusing to RP these things are okay, but the action still happens against your character. This would mean that we include "fade to black" roleplay in these situations, where the player refuse to roleplay "disgusting" RP. It's basically a way of skipping the roleplaying, and the players come to an agreement of what would happen.

I hope this cleared up the intentions of my first post.

If it's easy enough to accept death, then one shall learn how to do the same for rape, because it would be rather obvious for a woman to realize where and among who she is when in the Zone. You're saying that everyone here living in relatively safe countries are used to death in their daily life? I'd disagree with you there.

Nobody forces anything on you. No player will ever be punished for not plausibly reacting to some form of roleplay, because nobody here will teach you that. I hope you see the problem in regulating realistic reactions of individual players, because it's a waste of time and not conducive to general roleplay. Expecting every single player to RP the way you want to will be a disappointing experience. You won't find much RP around people that interpret the universe differently. Old-timers should remember the Freedom during MrTasker's leadership -- the Zone for them was nothing like what it was portrayed, taking the yolo and smoke weed attitude of Freedom to a very childish level.

What you're arguing for will never even be practical, because such cases do not happen, and if one should happen, then it will be treated as an isolated case. If one is traumatized by what would be a logical occurrence in the Zone, then my solution is to simply ignore it, it's that simple.
Blake.H: And im also working on whipping him into shape
Blake.H: He's nice
Blake.H: He doesn't moan
Blake.H: The sheer obedience is enough to fuel my erection anyway

Blake.H

Under Review, If you have anything to say say-it

ref_DevCon.smd: david star is the only heir of the ecologist throne
ref_DevCon.smd: house of blake
"Any of you fucking pricks move, and I'll execute every motherfucking last one of ya!"

Knife_cz

...seeing as it's really not something people are used to in daily life.

If we think like that we might aswell forbid any kind of a torture, murder or even attacking somebody else. "As it's not really something people are used to in daily life".

Ragolution

Quote from: Knife_cz on 26-06-2014
...seeing as it's really not something people are used to in daily life.

If we think like that we might aswell forbid any kind of a torture, murder or even attacking somebody else. "As it's not really something people are used to in daily life".

I went to walmart yesterday and that totally reminded me of the Zone.