SUGGESTION: Less Major Factions [Re-Opened]

Started by lolKieck, 03-06-2014

lolKieck

As the title says, less major factions. Instead of having a rather dull Duty vs Freedom vs Military ménage à trois with Monolith watching we should discard Duty and Freedom in favour of more interactions between Monolith, Stalkers (Bandits included) and Military. Oh, that'd also mean a deeper-Zone RP.
first
░░░░░░░▐▄▀▒▒▀▀▀▀▄▄▄▀▒▒▒▒▒▐
░░░░░▄▄▀▒░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒█▒▒▄█▒▐
░░░▄▀▒▒▒░░░▒▒▒░░░▒▒▒▀██▀▒▌
░░▐▒▒▒▄▄▒▒▒▒░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▀▄▒▒
░░▌░░▌█▀▒▒▒▒▒▄▀█▄▒▒▒▒▒▒▒█▒
░▐░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▌██▀▒▒░░░▒▒▒▀ ▌
░▌░▒▄██▄▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░░░░░░▒▒▒ ▌
▀▒▀▐▄█▄█▌▄░▀▒▒░░░░░░░░░░▒▒ ▐
▐▒▒▐▀▐▀▒░▄▄▒▄▒▒▒▒▒▒░▒░▒░▒▒ ▒▌
▐▒▒▒▀▀▄▄▒▒▒▄▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░▒░▒░▒ ▐
░▌▒▒▒▒▒▒▀▀▀▒▒▒▒▒▒░▒░▒░▒░▒▒ ▌
░▐▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░▒░▒░▒▒▄▒▒
░░▀▄▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░▒░▒░▒▄▒▒▒▒

Tom

Are we doing a complete restart of the canon?
Quote from: TheAndyShandy on 05-12-2013
Oh boy.
Strap yourselves in, it's time for the great 'obligatory' SRP resurrection of 2013/14/15/16/22

Blake.H

Quote from: Tom on 03-06-2014
Are we doing a complete restart of the canon?

Potentially, we'll see how appealing this sounds to others. I generally like the idea, possibly bringing DUTY/Freedom even possibly Military down to a Squad size (6/7) would be interesting and allow for more Loner/Bandit development.

ref_DevCon.smd: david star is the only heir of the ecologist throne
ref_DevCon.smd: house of blake
"Any of you fucking pricks move, and I'll execute every motherfucking last one of ya!"

Tom

Well, since we're doing a complete canon restart, perhaps you could set it like, pre-clearsky, set it before Freedom and Duty are factions in the zone. As far as factions go you'd have the Military, and maybe Monolith. Let Stalker/Bandit PBGs rise to minor/major faction status and if dorks want to make Duty and Freedom, let them, but treat them like every other PBG and if they reach Minor/Major faction status, don't treat them like anything special. In fact, don't treat any faction as special aside from Military and Monolith.
Oh boy.
Strap yourselves in, it's time for the great 'obligatory' SRP resurrection of 2013/14/15/16/22

Knife_cz

That's a rather radical idea, I am not sure if the majority agrees with such..interesting opinion.

Tom

Quote from: knife_cz on 03-06-2014
That's a rather radical idea, I am not sure if the majority agrees with such..interesting opinion.

Elaborate. I'm a freedom old fag and I don't really think not including them will be to the detriment of the server in general. So long as there are other conflicts to be had.
Oh boy.

Knife_cz

Quote from: knife_cz on 03-06-2014

Elaborate. I'm a freedom old fag and I don't really think not including them will be to the detriment of the server in general. So long as there are other conflicts to be had.
I mean, of course it is an interesting thing to do, a great oppurtunity to actually push the canon forward like everyone wanted before, appareantly. But what about the newcomers, will they agree with it? Do they want to take part of it? Also what about all the DUTY and Freedom suits?
I'm not saying it's a bad idea, hell I'll even go for it, if it happens. But really, the newcomers might just not get it.

Blake.H

I could refer back to my point about having them limited to Squad sized factions (6-7 people), making them in essence minor factions. Still around and kicking but to play a smaller part within the server.

In previous attempts all roleplay was based around being in a faction. We need to push towards a more new-player-friendly and loner development side of things.

"Any of you fucking pricks move, and I'll execute every motherfucking last one of ya!"

Verne

Sounds like a good idea having freedom and duty operate at squad level, atleast until we have the playerbase to support the two originally major factions. Also, it would be nice to allow players to only have one character in either duty or freedom. This will make sure that there would be less metagame, concerning the weapons, leadership and relations of the faction. I can imagine many would join duty, and then metagame on their freedumb character, and it sort of just encourages metagame.

jaik

Quote from: lolKieck on 03-06-2014
As the title says, less major factions. Instead of having a rather dull Duty vs Freedom vs Military ménage à trois with Monolith watching we should discard Duty and Freedom in favour of more interactions between Monolith, Stalkers (Bandits included) and Military. Oh, that'd also mean a deeper-Zone RP.
first

I was thinking we were scrapping the entire aged idea of giving undeserved near-absolute power and authority to organizations simply because of their name.

Well, since we're doing a complete canon restart, perhaps you could set it like, pre-clearsky, set it before Freedom and Duty are factions in the zone. As far as factions go you'd have the Military, and maybe Monolith. Let Stalker/Bandit PBGs rise to minor/major faction status and if dorks want to make Duty and Freedom, let them, but treat them like every other PBG and if they reach Minor/Major faction status, don't treat them like anything special. In fact, don't treat any faction as special aside from Military and Monolith.

qft I think I told you what I was going for myself.

Quote from: Blake.H on 03-06-2014
I could refer back to my point about having them limited to Squad sized factions (6-7 people), making them in essence minor factions. Still around and kicking but to play a smaller part within the server.

In previous attempts all roleplay was based around being in a faction. We need to push towards a more new-player-friendly and loner development side of things.

Administration doesn't have to set up any factions. We don't need exactly Freedom nor Duty to have an SRP. The major faction duo is there to engage the player in a larger sideline quest series, and not because Freedom or Duty have any relevance in the canon or anything. You can put any name there as long as two or more factions are at war with each other.

If people are interested in doing Freedom or Duty, then let them, but no faction will receive any privileged treatment. Military serves a completely different purpose, and thus can hardly be counted as a "faction" in this context, because it doesn't really function, nor intend to, the same way as stalker-based groups do.

Blake.H: And im also working on whipping him into shape
Blake.H: He's nice
Blake.H: He doesn't moan
Blake.H: The sheer obedience is enough to fuel my erection anyway

lolKieck

Quote from: Verne on 04-06-2014
Sounds like a good idea having freedom and duty operate at squad level, atleast until we have the playerbase to support the two originally major factions. Also, it would be nice to allow players to only have one character in either duty or freedom. This will make sure that there would be less metagame, concerning the weapons, leadership and relations of the faction. I can imagine many would join duty, and then metagame on their freedumb character, and it sort of just encourages metagame.
one-faction rule was always in HGN SRP babe
not sure about now, though

nKe

Silver Knight

Quote from: lolKieck on 05-06-2014
Quote from: Verne on 04-06-2014

one-faction rule was always in HGN SRP babe
not sure about now, though

This was because of uneven numbers of either faction being on, drama from playing both sides. metagaming..

Quotebreslau: if i cant cheat i dont wanna play
breslau: period

Dark Scar

In my opinion Blakes idea of having small squads of Duty and Freedom sound very good, rather than having an unlimited ammount and absorbing the entire populus of the server and ending up with about 2 stalkers.

As for management ranks I believe having some sort of structure as we did back in 09 would be for the best, having everyone as equal level always ended up with admins going against eachother in ideas or such.

==============================================
If you require any help in regarding S.T.A.L.K.E.R Roleplay or any other HGN related business, feel free to ask me or any other member of the HGN staff.

SF : |HGN-STSA| Dark Scar

Tom

I'd personally not worry about factions at all except the main players, but whateves "too radical". What will the hard faction caps be? Who will lead them? If we do allow them to exist, and we don't want it to be centered on factions WE SHOULD NOT ALLOW ANY LEEWAY AT ALL FOR THE FACTION CAPS THEY ARE THERE AND THEY ARE HARD CAPS, and if one of them that isn't important (by important I mean Monolith or Military) goes inactive we shouldn't give a shit and we should keep trying to keep the loner populace entertained with events.
Oh boy.

jaik

Quote from: Tom on 07-06-2014
I'd personally not worry about factions at all except the main players, but whateves "too radical". What will the hard faction caps be? Who will lead them? If we do allow them to exist, and we don't want it to be centered on factions WE SHOULD NOT ALLOW ANY LEEWAY AT ALL FOR THE FACTION CAPS THEY ARE THERE AND THEY ARE HARD CAPS, and if one of them that isn't important (by important I mean Monolith or Military) goes inactive we shouldn't give a shit and we should keep trying to keep the loner populace entertained with events.

I'd say that Military is one of the most if not the most important faction considering that it actually is a core part of the canon and contributes majorly to the environment (I'm not saying we should support it as a major faction, though, it should be a mix of minor and event faction), while Freedom and Duty are just stalker clans that are given prioritized treatment simply because we don't trust our playerbase to create their own faction. While I'm at it, I'll also point out that neither F/D do anything relevant in the canon, so I don't see why would they even matter, especially if we put our canon before the formation of F/D was completed in 2011.

Tom

Quote from: Jake on 07-06-2014
Quote from: Tom on 07-06-2014

I'd say that Military is one of the most if not the most important faction considering that it actually is a core part of the canon and contributes majorly to the environment (I'm not saying we should support it as a major faction, though, it should be a mix of minor and event faction), while Freedom and Duty are just stalker clans that are given prioritized treatment simply because we don't trust our playerbase to create their own faction. While I'm at it, I'll also point out that neither F/D do anything relevant in the canon, so I don't see why would they even matter, especially if we put our canon before the formation of F/D was completed in 2011.

He speaks the truth.
Oh boy.

lolKieck

I'd suggest keeping Monolith and the UKM as a constant force (major or minor, decide for yourself, but still present on the server).
Monolith would be guaranteeing a chance to die from a gunshot wound in the Zone while the Military could enrich RP by being proper Ukrainian kleptocrats.

jaik

Quote from: lolKieck on 07-06-2014
I'd suggest keeping Monolith and the UKM as a constant force (major or minor, decide for yourself, but still present on the server).
Monolith would be guaranteeing a chance to die from a gunshot wound in the Zone while the Military could enrich RP by being proper Ukrainian kleptocrats.

There's no point neither mechanic(there are NPCs and admins) nor story development(death is considered poor execution when done inappropriately, and giving certain players literally a right to kill is inappropriate.) wise in having players occupy positions that are responsible only for killing other players. It also tends to have unwanted side-effects IC and OOC, drama included. Military provides genuine Zone experience in form of presenting the Ukrainian authorities as corrupt, giving some stalkers employment like  hiring Military Stalkers, informants, as well as making all sorts of deals with them -- basically, intriguing social RP. While Monolith is just pew pew pew, brainwash and asfdgl;f;asd;zglo.

nKe

Knife_cz

Sooo, DUTY and Freedom will be given small squads, max. 6 people.
Military is going to be minor faction.
Monolith will be Event faction, since they do not add any real roleplay, besides shooting stalkers and passive RP in their own base.

The main focus is going to be around stalkers, and the player-based-factions.

We can all agree on that, right?

lolKieck

Honestly we should sack Freedom and Duty, instead relying on the players to make interesting faction.

nKe

Just completely get rid of Freedom and Duty.

Blake.H

Blake.H

Re-Opened For discussion & Added Poll with 10 day close time.